Judith or Deborah?

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] and I wouldn’t use the nickname [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. I’d call her [name_f]Judith[/name_f] and sometimes shorten it, which often happens naturally, to one syllable, [name_u]Jude[/name_u].

[name_f]Judith[/name_f]

I like the sound of [name_f]Judith[/name_f]!

[name_f]Judith[/name_f]! I like the occasional nn of [name_u]Jude[/name_u] for a [name_f]Judith[/name_f], and am intrigued by the ties to Chanukah. [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] is timeless and the Bible story is fascinating, but my aunt is a Debr@ and it still feels a bit more dated to me, and I’m not sure what I’d use as a nickname… [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] or [name_f]Rora[/name_f], maybe? I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Debbie[/name_f]. I prefer the Hebrew form of [name_f]Deborah[/name_f], too: [name_f]Devorah[/name_f]! Then again, I just like Hebrew names in general and I think the Hebrew "V"s are pretty fascinating, and opens up the nn option of Eva/Evie/Evora, which I think is pretty sweet.

2 Likes

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] is lovely, underappreciated classic.

We have both names in my family! [name_u]Love[/name_u] them both, [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] slightly more.

I prefer [name_f]Judith[/name_f]. [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Judy[/name_f]? So cute! :relaxed:

both are honestly super sweet, but i’d have to go with judith. it feels a bit more ready for a comeback.

i love the nickname possibilities for both, though. deborah ‘bee’ is adorable and so is judith ‘judy’ or ‘jude’!

While [name_f]Judith[/name_f] is cute, I would probably go with [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]. The nickname possibilities are great and one of my favourite actresses was/is [name_f]Debbie[/name_f] [name_u]Reynolds[/name_u]. If you don’t like [name_f]Deb[/name_f], [name_f]Debbie[/name_f] or [name_f]Debra[/name_f] (I recently met a 20-something named [name_f]Devra[/name_f] and it fit her — yes slightly different, but my work mates couldn’t tell the difference without me explaining it to them :disappointed_relieved:), then [name_f]Ora[/name_f], [name_m]Ory[/name_m] or [name_m]Ebbie[/name_m] could always work well.

[name_f]Judith[/name_f]! [name_u]Love[/name_u] nn [name_f]Judy[/name_f].

I like both, but in [name_f]English[/name_f] prefer [name_f]Judith[/name_f], just not the nn [name_f]Judy[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Dvora[/name_f], the Hebrew version of [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]. I actually would have used [name_u]Yehudit[/name_u] for a Hebrew name, if I’d had another girl.

I prefer [name_f]Judith[/name_f] to [name_f]Deborah[/name_f], but [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] has the nickname potential for [name_f]Bee[/name_f] or [name_u]Rory[/name_u], both of which I love. So I’m torn!