Jule or Opal?!

[name]Hi[/name] there-

First time poster, long time lurker, faithful blog reader. [name]Love[/name] Nameberry.

Anyway, my husband and I are having a debate, and I thought the faithful Berries could help me settle it.

DH and I are planning to TTC in the [name]Spring[/name]. Boy will be named after DH’s middle name. Easy.

Our girl’s name is [name]Ruby[/name]. I love it, DH loves it. It’s sweet and simple and non-negotiable.

It’s the middle name that we can’t agree on. My choice is [name]Jule[/name], after my grandfather’s mother. My grandfather always loved her name, and he passed away before I had the chance to have a child. I’d love to honor her- and him- by using it.

My husband thinks it’s way too cutesy and themey with [name]Ruby[/name], and I can totally see that. I understand that a ruby is a jewel, and [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jule[/name] sounds kind of silly if you don’t know that it is my great-grandmother’s name.

I’d relent to him EXCEPT that his alternate suggestion is [name]OPAL[/name]! His grandmother’s middle name. [name]How[/name] is [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Opal[/name] better than [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jule[/name]?

His solution is to find another middle name altogether, (which we did) and I guess he has a point, but I REALLY love [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jule[/name].

So, ladies and gents, I am asking you this: Since [name]Jule[/name] is a family name, and since it is not spelled “j-e-w-e-l” is it still out of the question? And is [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Opal[/name] any better?

The great thing about my husband is that once we decide this, he will be set on it. If I can make him come around, he won’t keep arguing. But I have to make a darn good case, and third party opinions will help! :slight_smile:

I think both are way too matchy, but if I had to pick, I’d definitely go with [name]Jule[/name] since it was picked for significance and not to fit a theme. What about [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Julia[/name]? I also like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Juliet[/name].

I really love [name]Opal[/name].

I don’t think you can do either [name]Jule[/name] or [name]Opal[/name] with [name]Ruby[/name], sorry. I do think that [name]Jule[/name] is better because of the family significance but I’d be more inclined to use either [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Jule[/name] now, and save the other for next time.

Sorry do agree that both do sound a bit odd. I think [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jule[/name] is marginally better than [name]Opal[/name] - flows better - but I love the suggestion of [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]. I just think everyone will think you mispelt [name]Jewel[/name] to try to make it not look like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jewel[/name]! Sorry! [name]Eli[/name] x

both [name]Jule[/name] ans [name]Opal[/name] are equally too matchy with [name]Ruby[/name]. I love all three of these names. The only way it could sort of work is if you did 3 middle names like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Jule[/name].

Hm. Yeah, [name]Opal[/name] is in no way better than [name]Jule[/name] when it comes to a middle name for [name]Ruby[/name] - both are quite matchy, I think. I’d have to say I prefer [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jule[/name], simply because it sounds kind of cute, a bit like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]June[/name], but I do agree with the poster who said it looks as though you are trying to purposely misspell “jewel” so the name isn’t as matched. I like the suggestions of [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], too. Actually, I think [name]Julia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] would be really cute, and then you could call your daughter [name]Jule[/name] or [name]Jules[/name] - my favorite - and it would honor your Grandma [name]Jule[/name] while also being a really fitting nickname for [name]Julia[/name], especially [name]Julia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

To be honet the [name]Jule[/name]/ [name]Jewel[/name] association didn’t even come to me when I first read this. I personally donb’t see a problem with it, although I can see the matchy concern. I love the suggestion of [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], I think that sounds lovely!
I personally think [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Opal[/name] is a bit too much.
The suggestion of two middles could work… possibly even [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Opal[/name]??

Yes, both are too matchy/cutesy/themey. [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] is lovely though!

I like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jule[/name] better than [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Opal[/name]. Didn’t think of the jewel connection when I first it.

Thank you for the responses. After seeing that nobody preferred [name]Opal[/name] with [name]Ruby[/name], he’s thankfully relented on that front. Our future [name]Ruby[/name], however, still has no middle name. Hubby thinks adding a second middle name is the answer.

So for now, she is [name]Ruby[/name] ______ [name]Jule[/name] Surname. Frontrunners for the blank space are [name]Anna[/name], [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]. I’m leaning heavily toward [name]Nora[/name]. He’s pretty set on [name]Anna[/name]. [name]Emma[/name] was our compromise.

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Anna[/name] [name]Jule[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Nora[/name] [name]Jule[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Emma[/name] [name]Jule[/name]

Any thoughts?