Julian/Julius

I can’t decide which I like better. We like old-fashioned names, and both of these make me think of an older generation. Which one do you prefer and why?

I prefer [name_m]Julian[/name_m] but this may be because we have a station near us called [name_m]Julius[/name_m] Leber Brücke ([name_m]Julius[/name_m] Liver [name_m]Bridge[/name_m]) so it just makes me think of offal.

I know a Columbian/[name_m]German[/name_m] family who have a [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. It travels well across cultures and languages which is useful in this more global age.

The reason pp gave is why Julian is a top pick for me and my husband. We come from very different backgrounds (me: German, English, Cherokee and Him: Mexican, Romanian) and Julian works for both of our families. Plus, I think Julian is modern enough to fit in with current trends and has the history of an older, established name.

I like both. These days I’m leaning more towards [name_m]Julius[/name_m] - it sounds so refreshing and unexpected, yet familiar. I would also say that it works as well internationally as [name_m]Julian[/name_m] does.

I prefer [name_m]Julian[/name_m].

I prefer [name_m]Julian[/name_m] (and am using it on our second son, due in a few weeks!). Partly because my older son watched the show [name_m]Julius[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. for a while so there was that connotation, but I personally like the n ending better. I also agree with what others have said in that [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is a name that seems to travel well across cultures and sounds like a name that can be from anywhere.

I really enjoy both [name_m]Julian[/name_m] and [name_m]Julius[/name_m], though I’m going to have to vote [name_m]Julian[/name_m] because I think it’s just a tad more wearable (or at least, where I live)

I like [name_m]Julian[/name_m] because it’s old, but it has a modern feel so it doesn’t sound out of place with the more popular names of today like [name_u]Evan[/name_u] and [name_m]Jake[/name_m]. To me, [name_m]Julius[/name_m] sounds very stately and a little serious.

Thanks, everyone. Your comments have helped tip the scales in [name_m]Julian[/name_m]'s favor!

[name_m]Julius[/name_m] makes me think of [name_m]Caesar[/name_m] and [name_u]Orange[/name_u] [name_m]Julius[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Julian[/name_m] better with the names in your signature, but I feel like [name_m]Julius[/name_m] is infinitely less nickname-able, if that makes sense. Although I do like [name_u]Jules[/name_u] for both. :slight_smile: I think [name_m]Julius[/name_m] is cooler, but [name_m]Julian[/name_m] always seems to draw me to it more. I just love [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_m]Ian[/name_m].

To me [name_m]Julius[/name_m] has a more Latin feel to it. I can see it on a Spanish/Italian boy or one named after the Catholic [name_m]Saint[/name_m].
[name_m]Julian[/name_m] is the anglicised version which is more familiar to me because of my background. I really like it and would consider it if I have a son.
I think you’ve got to pick what works in your family and culture best.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @voguejane,

I like both.

[name_m]Julian[/name_m] is easier to wear, as it follows the “-n” name ending trend, making this ancient-vintage name feel more modern.