Julian - thoughts and other options??

My favorite name so far for baby boy #2 is [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. Big brother is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and our 2 syllable last name starts with T and ends with T. I love the name [name_m]Julian[/name_m] and so far its the only name my husband and I agree on…but he had some concerns with it in the beginning which have now made me second guess the name. his concerns are that he will get called “julie” or “julia” and that its three syllables. I am not too worried about the three syllable thing but do worry that its too soft and without a great nickname. I feel like i just need one or two decent backups! But haven’t been able to come up with any yet. Names i have considered but don’t absolutely love are: [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] (and hubby has rejected all of these for various reasons). Help me come up with a backup and/or talk me into [name_m]Julian[/name_m]!

I have an [name_u]Owen[/name_u], and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] has been on and off my list for a potential bro, so I’ve thought about this pairing a lot. :slight_smile: I think [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is a great name. It is handsome, approachable, romantic, and I like its international feel. I don’t imagine that a [name_m]Julian[/name_m] would be called [name_u]Julie[/name_u] or [name_f]Julia[/name_f]… maybe [name_u]Jules[/name_u], which is a unisex nickname but may or may not feel feminine to you. [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is different in style to me than [name_u]Owen[/name_u] (Latin vs Celtic), but not so much that they clash terribly. I think they sound good together. [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is another name that has a similar vibe to me as [name_m]Julian[/name_m], that I’ve considered. I can’t imagine what the problem is with it being 3 syllables.

I never think of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] this way, but I’ve gotten feedback from some ppl who think of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] as a rugged, outdoorsy manly man name. So some ppl might think the names clash. I actually think of them both as softer boys’ names. Soft but strong.

I do love the rest of your list though. My favorite pair is actually [name_u]Owen[/name_u] & [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] (which is high on my list). I love the 4 ltr theme, and I just feel like they complement each other really well. I also like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], and [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. ha–we like a lot of the same names. Other ideas: [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u].

I love, love, love the name [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. You can get the nickname [name_u]Jules[/name_u] from it, and if that is still too soft sounding [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is another option. It’s a bit of a stretch, but “Hey [name_u]Jude[/name_u]” was written by [name_m]Paul[/name_m] McCartney for [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Lennon[/name_u]'s son, [name_m]Julian[/name_m].

Looking at the other names you like I suggest:
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]

Too me it is just too feminine. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. It doesn’t help that I know a 9 year old with the name and he is a rotten little turd.

I think a great pairing with [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is [name_m]Eli[/name_m]. Or [name_m]Levi[/name_m].

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, it’s nice to have the opinion of someone else with an [name_u]Owen[/name_u]! Unfortunately [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u] are out because of the Ts in our last name, and we know a [name_u]Theo[/name_u] allready. I may have to reconsider [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], it was at the top of my list with ds1! And for the 3 syllable thing, my husband just said he preferred 2 syllables, who knows :wink:

I like the nn [name_u]Jules[/name_u] for [name_m]Julian[/name_m] :slight_smile: I love [name_m]Julian[/name_m] by itself for a boy! But [name_u]Jules[/name_u] as in [name_u]Jules[/name_u] [name_u]Verne[/name_u] is a great namesake.

I like cengel73’s suggestion of [name_m]Levi[/name_m] too. [name_u]Owen[/name_u] & [name_m]Levi[/name_m]. But I like [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] more. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to help, good luck!!

(some more ideas: [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Wesley[/name_m], [name_m]Damian[/name_m] (similar to [name_m]Julian[/name_m] but maybe more masculine?), [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_u]Lennox[/name_u], [name_u]Reid[/name_u], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]…)

I really like [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] could be nn’s…or shorter alternatives as full names (just as an aside: my husband has a thing against three syllable boys names too–all the boys names he likes are 1 or 2 syllables and he vetoes the longer ones I come up with!).

I’ll also throw out [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] or even [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] as options. I think they all have the same soft sound and J-beginning as [name_m]Julian[/name_m], but maybe feel a little more masculine? (To be clear, I don’t think [name_m]Julian[/name_m] itself is “feminine” but it is a rare boys name where the feminine versions are much more widely used)

Given that we seem to have very similar taste in boys names ( [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] have all been on my long list at some point, and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] are still on my short list), I’ll also suggest [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]. It’s one of my favorite names and [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] seem to go great together in my head.

But if [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is a name that you and your husband both like, I say go for it!

It’s may be a bit of a stretch but you could use [name_m]Ian[/name_m] as a nn for [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. I love the other names from your list, and the suggestions from pp. My favorites are [name_u]Owen[/name_u] & [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] & [name_m]Levi[/name_m]. Good luck!

I love the name [name_m]Julian[/name_m], and the sibling set of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is lovely.

I’ll also throw out [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] or even [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] as options. I think they all have the same soft sound and J-beginning as [name_m]Julian[/name_m], but maybe feel a little more masculine? (To be clear, I don’t think [name_m]Julian[/name_m] itself is “feminine” but it is a rare boys name where the feminine versions are much more widely used)

• I do like [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]/[name_m]Jonas[/name_m], they were on my list for DS1, but since then a cousin of my husbands had a little boy named [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] so both are out. and my DS’ middle name is [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]! I do really really like [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], but its one of those name I don’t see us actually using. Its weird with our last name, i think (strong D sound at the end followed by T sound at the beginning of our last name, it makes the last D in [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] kind of disappear). But it is such a lovely name!

Over the course of the day I think I am feeling better with [name_m]Julian[/name_m] as our top contender, and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] as a backup. [name_u]Jude[/name_u] would probably be our nickname, and actually has some family significance (but we wouldn’t want to use it as the actual name). All the suggestions have been good though! [name_m]Levi[/name_m] was on my list with DS1 but now doesn’t really do it for me, somehow. So many other names are already in use by kiddos I know!

I adore [name_m]Julian[/name_m]! [name_u]Jules[/name_u], Ju, [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Jay[/name_u] are wonderful nicknames and it sounds fabulous with [name_u]Owen[/name_u]!