Juno for a baby girl

My husband and I really love the name [name]Juno[/name] (she’s due in [name]March[/name]), but stupidly I started googling around about the name and found bratty comments about it on (other) message boards and such. So I thought I’d bring the question to Nameberry because I think you readers will be kind and thoughtful in your answers/thoughts and not mean!

I’m an English professor and a writer, so I love that it’s a name from [name]Roman[/name] mythology (which I love). Yes, I know that [name]Juno[/name] the goddess could be a bit of a pain. It’s an asteroid, as well, which is nice because I also love astronomy. It’s also almost an Irish name, as the anglicized version of [name]Una[/name] or [name]Oona[/name] and the name of the heroine of [name]Sean[/name] O’[name]Casey[/name]'s play [name]Juno[/name] and the Paycock (though that [name]Juno[/name] doesn’t have an easy life, for certain). I’m not thrilled that it’s associated by many with the movie [name]Juno[/name] (I liked the movie, but hate the idea of people saying, “Oh, like the movie?” It’s been three years since that movie came out, though, so I’m hoping that wouldn’t be the case, at least not with people who know us. I don’t really care what other people think).

We wanted something uncommon but not weird, and I love the O ending. I know that for people who aren’t well read or who don’t know mythology, it might seem weird. My name is [name]Janet[/name], after my great grandmother, and while I never really loved my name (it’s pretty old fashioned and a little bland) I’ve liked being the only [name]Janet[/name] in all my classes, etc. [name]Will[/name] she like it when she’s older?

That was a lot of explanation. I’d love to hear your thoughts, and thanks.

Oh, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Juno[/name]. It’s a simple, spunky and cool name for a girl. In [name]Roman[/name] mythology, she was the goddess of heaven as well as marriage and children. Hey, you can’t get better than that for a name. [name]Don[/name]'t worry too much about people’s comments or the film. If you love it, be brave and choose it! I also love [name]Clio[/name], the Greek muse of history. Best wishes!

I really like [name]Juno[/name]! It’s fun and spuny! I think if you love a name and it has everything you are looking for (as [name]Juno[/name] seems to be for you) than what other people think shouldn’t be a big deal! I for one love the name [name]Juno[/name] and wouldn’t let the movie get in the way of a beautiful name!

HTH

I agree, I absolute [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Juno[/name], but there are a few reservations I’d have about using it. I don’t think the movie association will go away anytime soon- it was such a popular hit and so critically acclaimed that it’ll probably be around for a while. It’s also a bit of a weird name. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I think it’s a name you have to pull off. It’s sort of like you need the personality for it. I can’t imagine a really shy, nerdy, or unpopular kid having a good time with the name [name]Juno[/name]. So I probably wouldn’t use it myself, even though I love it. If you and your husband really love it, and you don’t think you’ll be bothered by the movie association or other peoples’ perceptions of it being a “weird” name, go for it.

I love the name [name]Juno[/name]. It reminds me of the movie because I don’t know anyone else with that name. I think once people know your daughter, that association to the movie character will fade and disappear. I think you should be bold and go for it! I bet she’ll love her name.

I love the name [name]Juno[/name]! If you aren’t sure, you could name her [name]June[/name] and call her [name]Juno[/name], but if you love it, don’t worry about what they are saying on the messageboards. You might be horrified about what they named/are naming their children and I think [name]Juno[/name] will stand out while fitting right in.

A blog I read just welcomed their third child this week and named her [name]Juno[/name] [name]Kate[/name], which I adore. She announced it as “[name]June[/name] with a party at the end of it”, which I thought was a great description of [name]Juno[/name]. I’ll send you the link so you can see.

Good luck!

Three years ago I would have had reservations, but now I don’t think it would be as much of an issue. The movie was a bit of a fad, so they might say something about it initially but I don’t really think it will be something that will stick. And by the time your daughter reaches school age kids in her generation won’t even know that the movie exists. I say go for it. It is a beautiful name!

I think it’s cute. I had considered naming my baby girl [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] and calling her [name]Juno[/name] as a nickname.

[name]Juno[/name] is a great name! If she ends up being more conservative she can go by [name]Juni[/name] or [name]June[/name].

You had me at “[name]Juno[/name].” Then you really sold me. I can’t even imagine what flak posters were giving you on other boards, and frankly I don’t want to try. This is a great name. Fresh yet grounded in history, ancient and contemporary. [name]June[/name] and [name]Junie[/name] as are cute as nns get. Please please please, I’m begging you! Use. This. Name.