Just 8 random questions about...names!

1. Well, none of my favourite names are of Finnish origin, so I guess they’re all kind of from foreign cultures…

2. Antoinetta, it sounds so frilly and pretentious and a bit annoying but I like it anyway.

3. Wren. What is so appealing about it?

4. It goes really well with my sister’s name, is recognizable but not too common, works in many languages and has a lovely meaning! I really like my own name.

5. No one seems to like [name_m]Carl[/name_m] or [name_m]Frans[/name_m], but they’re so classic and handsome.

6. Väinö. It’s a very, very traditional Finnish name and I kind of see the appeal, but both ä and ö in one name? If [name_m]Väinö[/name_m] wants to move outside Finland when he grows up, no one will be able to pronounce or write his name correctly.

7. I must admit that I’m not a fan of gender neutral names. Maybe the only name I could use for either gender is Florence. Maybe also Valentine.

8. Maybe when siblings have names that don’t work together at all. For an example, I once heard of brothers named [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] and Jack. I do not think sibling names need to match, but it seems a bit unfair if one has a lot fancier and more unique name than the other.

1 Like

You always have such great names! I love [name_f]Elska[/name_f] both the meaning and pronunciation! [name_f]Karolina[/name_f] and [name_f]Olga[/name_f] are also lovely! Also thank you for letting me know about [name_f]Abeni[/name_f], what a gorgeous meaning!

[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is the greatest thing I’ve ever heard :smiley:

2 Likes
  1. I really like Amaal/Amal. I had a lovely student by that name and I also think it’s super pretty in general, but I’m not Muslim and I wouldn’t use it myself.
  2. I have pretty traditional taste in general so some of my more obscure favorites I feel shy about sharing irl. Especially the more hippie/fantasy-feeling ones because my family knows I’m really into fantasy and Renaissance Faires and Dungeons and Dragons and stuff and sometimes teases me (gently) about it, so I feel like I might get some “oh of course you like this because you’re a geek” reactions, lol.
  3. A lot of them! Off the top of my head I don’t like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or Primrose.
  4. It has a really long history and a ton of different international variations which is cool.
  5. Brian! Most reactions I’ve seen on here seem to be that it’s very dated (I agree but I still like it) or that it’s ugly (obviously I disagree).
  6. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin named her baby [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] which I really don’t like, it feels both overly babyish and really old fashioned to me. Also I think the flow with their last name is not good.
    7: [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], or Avery. I personally would be more likely to use all three on boys, but I like hearing them on girls too, they’re just nice names.
  7. People criticizing parents who use common names/telling me the names on my list are too popular or “boring”.
2 Likes
  1. your favorite name from a different culture, religion or mythology?
    Genevieve. Although I mayyy be [name_u]French[/name_u] because I have many descendants named this.
  2. A name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you?
    None! They might not appreciate what I tell them, but I’m not afraid.
  3. A nameberry favorite that you actually don’t like?
    [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], Jem. Probably a lot more lol.
    4.Something you love about your own name?
    I like how it isn’t very common and it’s trendy-sounding.
  4. A name you love, but everyone else on nameberry seems to dislike?
    [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], [name_f]Haviland[/name_f], [name_f]Alaska[/name_f], and Savannah.
  5. A name a friend or family member chose for their baby, that you actually don’t like?
    I mean I really like the name [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] but when it’s Hazel-Ann…ehh. It just doesn’t flow that well and I much prefer Hazel-May.
  6. Your favorite gender neutral name?
    [name_u]Blair[/name_u], [name_u]Harley[/name_u], [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_m]Quintin[/name_m], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u]
  7. Your biggest pet peeve!
    When people I know give their newborns VERY popular names when I was expecting something a little for creative.
2 Likes
  1. What is your favourite name from a different culture, religion or mythology?
    One of my favourites is Rumeha, which is used in the Muslim community. It means beautiful stone. It’s PN pretty much how you would sound it out Roo-meh-hah.

2.A name you love but are too afraid to tell people?
[name_u]Love[/name_u] conquers fear! I’ll happily tell you that I love the botanical name Knifophia, in spite of the reactions I get (never positive)! It helps to know I won’t be having any more children :grin:

1. something you love about your own name?
    I like the meaning of [name_u]Shelley[/name_u], from the edge of the meadow (hence the username) although this is quite a fanciful version that doesn’t get listed very often. I like that it’s hyphenated.
1 Like
    [name_m]Frey[/name_m], [name_m]Dmitri[/name_m], and [name_m]Gustav[/name_m] come to mind

2. a name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you?
    Several: [name_f]Edelweiss[/name_f], [name_f]Shenandoah[/name_f], [name_u]Dandelion[/name_u] (boy), and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] with the nn Fell

3. a nameberry favorite that you actually don’t like?
    [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m] they’re just not my cup of tea

4. something you love about your own name?
    It wasn’t very popular when I was going through school and I like meeting dogs that share my name

5. a name you love, but everyone else on nameberry seems to dislike?
    Probably [name_m]Clifford[/name_m] :sweat_smile:

6. a name a friend or family member chose for their baby, that you actually don’t like?
    [name_m]Melwyn[/name_m] (g)

7. your favorite gender neutral name?
    [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_u]Briar[/name_u]

8. your biggest pet peeve!
    Probably smoosh names. I just am not a big fan of them in general. Also when it is implied that a name is too childish or won’t “grow well” with the child. As someone who has a name that is considered often to be too childish I don’t really understand the argument since I’ve met plenty of people in professional setting that have “childish” names (Rocky, and [name_f]Fifi[/name_f] come to mind)

1 Like
  1. I have a lot, but lately I’ve been really loving a lot of Russian names (I’m not Russian) like [name_m]Alexei[/name_m], [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m], [name_m]Mikhail[/name_m], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Svetlana[/name_f], Nastia.

2. I don’t really talk to a lot of people IRL about names, so I’m honestly not sure. Maybe [name_f]Kimber[/name_f] or Saffron?

3. [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], and August. There are a few more but those are the main ones.

4. I love that it reflects my heritage and religion.

5. Seurat.

6. Otis.

7. [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]Chandler[/name_u], or Rowan.

8. When people dismiss international or “unusual” names because they’ll be “hard for people to pronounce / spell.”

4 Likes
  1. right now it’s [name_m]Abir[/name_m]
  2. almost all of them
  3. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
  4. i picked it myself!
  5. [name_m]Napoleon[/name_m]
  6. [name_f]Emma[/name_f]
  7. [name_u]Raven[/name_u]
  8. sibsets don’t have to match, but it bothers me when they really don’t match. like [name_f]Katelyn[/name_f] and [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m] or something.
1 Like
  1. [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] & [name_u]Idris[/name_u]
  2. [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] & [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] :heart_eyes: luckily I haven’t had boys yet.
  3. Casper! Can’t get over the friendly ghost/ hot dog joint association. I also dislike Astrid.
  4. I don’t really like my name ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I can’t think of anything besides: it’s readable.
  5. Monica!!! I hardly ever get good feedback on this name, though it’s really just a more historical and familiar version of NB favorite Annika. Also Niall.
  6. Rhett. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not a huge fan.
  7. When people are not respectful of others’ naming choices, especially family members. It’s all good to disagree and give your two cents, but not for the purpose of changing that person’s mind/ belittling their preferences.
4 Likes

your favorite name from a different culture, religion or mythology? [name_f]Anahita[/name_f] and [name_m]Baldur[/name_m] are ancient gods and I’m Christian. wouldn’t stop me from using them, though.

a name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you? pretty much anything [name_f]English[/name_f] as they get judged pretty hard over here, like [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] or [name_u]Nelson[/name_u]

a nameberry favorite that you actually don’t like? Is [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] a favorite?

something you love about your own name? I’ve never had to share it with someone in my class, yet it’s widely known

a name you love, but everyone else on nameberry seems to dislike? I’ve never read something nice about [name_m]Mingus[/name_m]

a name a friend or family member chose for their baby, that you actually don’t like? I don’t know of many. One picked [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], which fits her but is too on-the-nose quirky for me.

your favorite gender neutral name? probably [name_u]Riley[/name_u] or Jordan.

your biggest pet peeve! replying “every name is made up” whenever the phrase “made-up names” comes up. Yes, it’s true, but it usually adds nothing to the conversation.

1 Like
    Freya! Such a gorgeous name, but I don’t really feel comfortable using it for religious reasons.
  2. a name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you?
    Linus was a big one. I finally told my mom, and I was definitely judged harshly. I don’t want to tell anyone that I like Winifred, even though I don’t think I would actually use it.
    Not a fan of Eleanor or Beatrice.
    I like my name just in general! I think it suits me very well!
    I still really like both Carrie and Laura, even though they didn’t get much love on nameberry.
  6. a name a friend or family member chose for their baby, that you actually don’t like?
    I am very close with these two girls at my church. They are just darling and I loved babysitting them… but their names never grew on me (Olive & Lois).
    Kit! It’s the one name that I don’t have a preference for gender!
    Misspelled/Kre8tive names, especially if it is a name that comes from a different culture.
1 Like

your favorite name from a different culture, religion or mythology?
there are so many but the one on my mind right now is noor

a name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you?
a lot of them!!! but mostly reverie

a nameberry favorite that you actually don’t like?
edmund

something you love about your own name?
it’s an honour name!

a name you love, but everyone else on nameberry seems to dislike?
wilf

a name a friend or family member chose for their baby, that you actually don’t like?
caiden

your favorite gender neutral names?
tully, sorrel, blythe, sky, rivers

your biggest pet peeve!
when someone says that they don’t like a name because it “looks made up” - especially when that name actually has a long history of use!
(i saw this comment on another forum about the name hadrian and i wanted to scrEam)

1 Like
  1. Might be a bit dull but I love [name_u]French[/name_u] names - [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], Fleur…
  2. August! Before it was [name_u]Fox[/name_u] but I ended up telling a few people and surprisingly didn’t get judged!
  3. I do like word names but not when they’re too over the top. I couldn’t imagine a real baby called [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] but I see it quite a lot on here.
  4. I really don’t like my name but I like how it’s a variant of [name_u]James[/name_u] which runs in my family and I would 100% use as a middle for a boy.
  5. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], my daughter’s name. I’ve seen a few posts on here saying it’s the ugliest plant name :joy:
  6. [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] - I just think it’s had its time and is nothing special.
  7. Aubrey.
  8. Adding letters or substituting i’s for y’s, if that’s even done anymore :joy: I hope that died in the 90s.
1 Like
  1. I love [name_f]Shirin[/name_f] so much. I’m not Muslim and do not have ties to the Middle [name_u]East[/name_u] or [name_f]Asia[/name_f], but it is a gorgeous name. From mythology, I love [name_m]Icarus[/name_m], [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], and Calypso.
  2. Honestly almost anything on my list would elicit comments from the peanut gallery, but certainly [name_f]Moxie[/name_f] (!), [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] for a girl, and Amadeus.
  3. I see [name_f]Juno[/name_f] a lot on here, and I can only think of the movie when I hear it!
  4. I love how prolific my name is while still being classic and original!
  5. Marjorie! I feel like a lot of times it gets cast off as an old lady name, but for me it sounds very vivacious and fresh.
  6. [name_u]Avery[/name_u] on a boy. I want to like it, but I have heard it used for too many girls for it to be useable on boys for me.
  7. It’s a bit too popular for me to want to use, but I have a soft spot for Riley.
  8. Filler middle names. That’s the place to have fun and it feels like a waste!
3 Likes
  1. [name_u]Love[/name_u] so many names from other nationalities, so it’s hard to pick! I’m torn between [name_f]Freya[/name_f], Priya/Lilavati, Tali/Nechama, but there’s only one stand-out for a boy, today–Ben-Ami!
  2. Uhhh… [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] and [name_f]Madelief[/name_f], but my mom and sister have already ripped my heart to shreds on these two so I’m not sure any friends could do any worse…
  3. Uhh, quite a few actually, lol! I don’t think my style really aligns with berry favorites. I can’t stand [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] (this spelling; I can tolerate Susanna!), [name_f]Fern[/name_f], and Beatrice.
  4. Two things - I love the tie to [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Downs, an orphanage [name_u]George[/name_u] Mueller ran in [name_f]England[/name_f] by faith alone and no investors or income; I also love the natural aspect of it–I think the meaning “ash-tree meadow” is so lovely and love the idea of including other not-obvious tree names on my own list!
  5. I used to say [name_u]Aquila[/name_u] and [name_m]Barzillai[/name_m] but people actually seem to be coming around. :rofl: Greystoke, which is on my list as a middle for [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], didn’t get great reception, though, so I guess I’ll go with that. I love the tie to [name_m]Tarzan[/name_m], but it does seem a bit crazy up front.
  6. Hmmm, [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], I guess? It’s a lovely name but I was ridiculously in love with her big sister’s name (Aud.rey Sus@n) and Meredith’s name just didn’t compare, for me. I think it was just a letdown after how lovely her sister’s name was?
  7. Eden. It’s the only name I would use for either gender. :heart: [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_u]Eden[/name_u] is in my top 5, but I would totally use [name_u]Eden[/name_u] as a middle for a girl, too. I also like [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_u]Auden[/name_u] for both genders, but probably would only use them for a boy, in reality.
  8. Uhhh, when people try to steer someone toward a less common alternative? The amount of times berries have tried to get me to use [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] as a middle name or replace it with [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] or [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] have almost made me rip my hair out. :rofl: Ironically I have replaced [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] with [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] on my list, but for a decade [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] had my whole heart, I was completely aware of the popularity, and yet people acted like it was a cardinal sin to use it; it still rubs me the wrong way. We all like unusual names but there’s nothing wrong with popular ones. :woman_shrugging:t2: For what it’s worth, I think there’s a big difference between saying, “Isabelle’s nice; I just like [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] better myself!” and “Isabelle’s so popular; you should consider Isadora.”
3 Likes

your favorite name from a different culture, religion or mythology?
Sweet [name_m]Fyodor[/name_m] has been on my mind today, so let’s go with that one. I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as a first name but as a middle name, I think [name_m]Fyodor[/name_m] would make a beautiful, unexpected, and magical choice.

a name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you?
I’m less confident in my girl names than my boys’ names, so I don’t generally share that list with anyone irl (and they’re all pretty tame).

a nameberry favorite that you actually don’t like?
Hazel. There’s just something about the look of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] that I really dislike.

something you love about your own name?
I love the sound of it in Spanish!

a name you love, but everyone else on nameberry seems te dislike?
[name_u]Vyvyan[/name_u] and Lionel.

your favorite gender neutral name?
There are some gender-neutral names that I like, however, I still tend to prefer them for one gender over the other.

your biggest pet peeve!
combos that are too much of one thing

1 Like
    I have so many! Atlas, Apollo, Abel, Elowen, Cleopatra, & Declan to name a few!

I don’t really share my names with family and friends anymore, they just don’t understand. So I guess it’s everything lol. But I do share all of my names with my SO.

Beatrice, Alice, Katherine, Lark, Wren, Rhys, Fern, Iris, Riley. I think these are the main ones, I guess I’m not a fan of certain sounds.

I love that it’s a red stone and that I grew up having only met 1 other.

Vada, Tatiana, Abel, & Houston are a few that I can think off.

Using privacy symbols: A1egna.

James, River, Avery, Robin!, Willow, Harley, Marlow that I can think of :slight_smile:

When people don’t respect others naming choices, especially if it’s close friends and family. I’m going to put a lot of thought into my children’s names, so I don’t need anyone questioning my choices.

2 Likes

[name_u]Pascale[/name_u]
[name_u]Rocket[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
The [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] and [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m] connection
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]
‘Basic’ taste in names - [name_f]Ava[/name_f] or [name_u]Grayson[/name_u] :frowning:

1 Like
  • your favorite name from a different culture, religion or mythology?
    [name_f]Talia[/name_f] - Hebrew; Australian Aboriginal; “gentle dew from heaven; by the water”

• a name you love, but are too afraid to tell family/friends because you think they’ll judge you?
    I love Devon/Devin for a girl, but I think family will think it is too masculine!

• a nameberry favorite that you actually don’t like?
    [name_u]Florence[/name_u], not really a fan of the old lady names making a comeback

• something you love about your own name?
    No one in my school had my name, but it wasn’t too ‘out there.’ [name_m]Just[/name_m] a little dated.

• a name you love, but everyone else on nameberry seems to dislike?
    [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] - I believe others may think it is too vanilla.

• a name a friend or family member chose for their baby, that you actually don’t like?
    That’s hard. I feel like I didn’t like some names when they first announced it, but the child has grown into the name. I would have to say EmmaBrooke though (not supposed to be a space there).

• your favorite gender neutral name?
    So many, but [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] has to be my top right now.

• your biggest pet peeve!
    When people choose a very popular name, when they know it is popular (unless it is an honor name). They are most definitely going to be in a class with 14 others with their same name. Better choose something that has a lot of nickname options if you are going to do that.

1 Like