Just a Random Question about Family Names...

[name]Just[/name] to get this out of the way, I am in no way, shape or form having children anytime soon… But I’m a name nerd, so this question has been bugging me for a bit.

I’ve always been a strong believer in using family names for children. Everyone in my family has a name that has significant family ties, and if I ever have kids, I want them to have these ties as well.

I was looking through my family’s Family Tree Book, and I noticed that my great-grandmother’s maiden name was Winham.

I immediately fell in love. To me, Winham sounds relaxed, yet upper class and sophisticated. What do you all think of it? (It’s pronounced [name]Win[/name]-um, at least by our family). The only thing I’m worried about, if I ever have a son to use it, is -ham. But, I think it’ll be ok.

Another quick question, I love [name]Jack[/name] and [name]John[/name]. There are about 21304983241 Johns in my family tree, and I think [name]Jack[/name] would be a good way to honor them in a first name. Question: Would it be odd to have [name]Jack[/name] as a first name for one child, and [name]John[/name] as a middle name for another?

Obviously, I’m thinking hypothetically and waaay in advance.

Thanks in advance!

I love Winham! It sounds like [name]Winsome[/name] (and also my name, [name]Winnie[/name], so I am a little biased). I can see [name]Ham[/name] being a problem in first place, though … perhaps as a middle name?

[name]Jack[/name] is one of my favourite names, despite its popularity, and I don’t think that it would be strange to have a [name]Jack[/name], and then use [name]John[/name] as a middle for another child, because middles are barely used anyway - you won’t be introducing him as ____ [name]John[/name] all of the time, and so most people won’t notice the (pretty faded these days, anyway) link between [name]Jack[/name] and [name]John[/name].

I love Winham as a middle name. I don’t think [name]Jack[/name] as a first name, and [name]John[/name] as a middle name is odd at all!

I wouldn’t be bothered by the ham, and wouldn’t be afraid of putting that name in first.

Winham is awesome! [name]Love[/name] that!

Most people these days have no clue where nickname names came from. I know an [name]Eliza[/name] who had NO idea that her name was originally a nn for [name]Elizabeth[/name], I don’t think she even believed me when I told her. Older people might notice the [name]Jack[/name]/[name]John[/name] thing, but I don’t think it matter. I wouldn’t hesitate to use [name]Jack[/name] for one child and [name]John[/name] as a middle for another at all.

Winham is great! Since the “ham” really isn’t pronounced, I don’t think it is too much of an issue. But, to be safe, I’d probably use it as a middle name.

No, [name]Jack[/name] as a first name and [name]John[/name] as a middle name doesn’t seem too weird to me. Go for it!

You might also like something along the lines of [name]Jacoby[/name] Winham or [name]Jackson[/name] Winham, with [name]Jac[/name] or [name]Jack[/name] as a nickame…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: