Just Can't Keep It Below 6!

I’m hoping for more comments and thoughts on these 6 names. They are the only six names I can’t bring myself to cut from our list.
(I even created a little game to help me cut out some of our other options. We made tournament style brackets and had several head to head tournaments to determine which names beat out other names in one-on-one cutthroat reflection. Names that kept making it into the final 4/6/8 were kept, the rest were tossed aside.)

[name]Amias[/name] (Latin = loved)(pronounced: uh-MY-us)
[name]Caius[/name] (Latin = to rejoice)
Caian (Welsh variation of [name]Caius[/name])(pronounced: [name]KYE[/name]-un)
[name]Emrys[/name] (Welsh variation of (Greek) [name]Ambrose[/name] = immortal)(pronounced: em-riss)
[name]Zamir[/name] (Hebrew= nightingale (also possibly ‘intelligent ruler’); Arabic/Urdu= thought; conscious; Albanian= good voice)(pronounced: zah-MEER)
[name]Evander[/name] (Greek= good man; possibly also Gaelic= archer)

We’re also still keeping around a few others as just-in-case names that have the potential to be ones that grow on us more over time, but it’s very very likely the name will be one of the 6 above.

Any comments (the more in depth the better) are greatly appreciated! Sorry for the repeats for anyone who has commented on any of my lists before, but it’s just so hard for us to pin down which one is more perfect than the others, and comments are always helpful in our process.

Our first son’s name is Rayhan [name]Rees[/name] [name]Luckie[/name] (Rayhan = “the dawning of a good sign” in Chinese, “favored by God” in Arabic, “sweet basil” in Persian and “flower of paradise” in Sanskrit)([name]Rees[/name]= a spelling variation of [name]Rhys[/name] used in my family for many generations)([name]Luckie[/name]= our last name).

The MN for the second boy would likely either be [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Brandt[/name] (both have family significance), with the possibility of [name]Charles[/name], [name]Bernard[/name] or [name]James[/name] (also have family significance, but have been used for some of my cousin’s kids MNs already, whereas [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Brandt[/name] haven’t).

Javad, you have the BEST taste in names! Needed to be said…

[name]Amias[/name] . I love this name. It’s beautiful, sweet, and very friendly. It’s medieval which is cool. [name]Amyas[/name] is a squire (low ranked) in The Faerie Queene.
[name]Caius[/name] - [name]Happy[/name] name! I prefer the original [name]Gaius[/name], but can see that [name]Caius[/name] is easier to wear. Common praenomen in ancient [name]Rome[/name] belonging to both [name]Julius[/name] & [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Caesar[/name]. I think it’s a lovely name with tons of history tied to it.
Caian - It’s nice, but [name]Caius[/name] is way cooler.
[name]Emrys[/name] - I like [name]Emrys[/name] very much, was on our list. I love the meaning of the name, it’s easy to spell and to pronounce. It’s one of those names you really want to say out loud!
[name]Zamir[/name] - This is really handsome. I love nightingales, so bonus for me. And it’s quite different from the other names on your list.
[name]Evander[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Evander[/name]. The son of [name]Hermes[/name], who traveled from [name]Arcadia[/name] to [name]Italy[/name] before [name]Aeneas[/name] did, and founded the city Pallantium, said to have been where Palentine [name]Hill[/name] is. He brought the Greek pantheon and alphabet and laws. It’s similar enough to [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Leander[/name], [name]Sander[/name] and so on to be recognizable. I also think [name]Evander[/name] & Rayhan sounds magnificent together. Clear winner!

[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Caius[/name]
[name]Zamir[/name]
[name]Amias[/name]
[name]Emrys[/name]
Caian

[name]Amias[/name]- don’t care for, will be mispronounced too often
[name]Caius[/name]- Like very much, very strong and masculine
Caian- agree that [name]Caius[/name] is better, here there will be mispronunciation
[name]Emrys[/name]- way too girly
[name]Zamir[/name]- it could grown on you
[name]Evander[/name]- Like the most. Easy to pronounce phonetically, strong but with a literary hint that makes the kid sound smart

I would take Caian off the list. Caian’s charm would be lost in a sea of boys with similar names, whereas [name]Amias[/name], [name]Caius[/name], [name]Emrys[/name], [name]Zamir[/name], and [name]Evander[/name] are all handsome, standout choices. I also agree that [name]Caius[/name] is, well, just so much cooler than Caian.

[name]Amias[/name] is on my personal list, so of course I’m partial to that one. :slight_smile: Given your son’s name Rayhan, I think that [name]Emrys[/name] or [name]Zamir[/name] would be the best fit. [name]Emrys[/name] and [name]Zamir[/name] both have that same type of international, hero of a fantasy series feel to them (if that makes any sense). As for middle names, I like [name]Emrys[/name] [name]Bernard[/name] or [name]Zamir[/name] [name]Charles[/name]. [name]Zamir[/name] [name]Edward[/name] appeals too.

[name]Evander[/name] [name]Brandt[/name] is super cool. I love the meaning of [name]Evander[/name]. My second choice would be [name]Amias[/name]. I think it would be a special meaning to give to your child.

I appreciate the responses thus far!
And regarding Caian, keep in mind one thing about it. It’s the only name on this list that would have Chinese characters that match up with it that would make a really nice Chinese name as well (we live in [name]China[/name]). Thus, his Chinese and ‘English’ name would be pronounced exactly the same way. The other ones would have similar Chinese names with somewhat similar pronunciations, but would be slightly different.
@ottilie- I have to thank you for helping [name]Evander[/name] rise in my mind actually. It had been floating around our list, but after your recent name list post, you got me reflecting on [name]Evander[/name] a lot more. Now it’s easily one of my top 2 or 3 favorites.
@andi- You think [name]Emrys[/name] is too girly? What makes it feel that way? To me it feels very masculine.
@southern- What names do you feel Caian sounds so similar to? I agree that [name]Emrys[/name] and [name]Zamir[/name] seem to match up really well with Rayhan, especially [name]Zamir[/name]. It’s one of the major reasons I can’t bring myself to cut these too names at all (as well as their latent awesomeness). [name]Glad[/name] to hear [name]Amias[/name] is on your list too! It’s definitely an underused gem if there ever was one (less than 25 babies named [name]Amias[/name] in the US last year).
@charlie’s mom- You know, we actually just decided last night that if we do choose the name [name]Evander[/name], [name]Brandt[/name] will be the MN. I agree that the two names go together excellently.

[name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I know [name]Emrys[/name] was [name]Merlin[/name]'s other name, and thus has been given to men in the past, but for me, [name]Emrys[/name] reminds me of the flower [name]Amaryllis[/name], and I know several toddler girls named [name]Emery[/name]. Maybe it’s just a me thing.

Aha, well then I guess I’ll bump Caian up and drop [name]Caius[/name]! It makes more sense over there, I guess! I’m still championing [name]Evander[/name] though, love that name so much!

@ andi- I had never thought about the similar pronunciation of [name]Emrys[/name] to [name]Amaryllis[/name], but I definitely hear it now. I really wish [name]Emery[/name], [name]Emory[/name] and [name]Emerson[/name] weren’t become so common as female names! Those names sound so masculine to me, but they’re being overtaken by the girls! These points are definitely making [name]Emrys[/name] seem less likely, I might cut it out. I do really like the name, but I think I like some other ones more the more I reflect on them.
@ ottilie- [name]Evander[/name] is definitely a strong strong possibility. The only problem with it for us is that in Chinese there are no ‘v’ sounds, so his Chinese name (which we could use Chinese characters with to make a solid Chinese name with a good meaning) would sound more like E-wan-der. His name to English speakers and Chinese speakers would be slightly different, but I don’t think that really matters too much.

[name]Ambrose[/name] [name]James[/name] Bednard or [name]Evander[/name] [name]Charles[/name] [name]Brandt[/name]!!

Well, there will always be problems like that. I doubt you can find one name that’s pronounced the exact same way. Maybe very close (like [name]Kim[/name], [name]Mio[/name] and [name]Noa[/name]). [name]Evander[/name] by the looks of it, is pretty close.
I’m half Norwegian and my family is over there, so the names I’ve picked out will all sound slightly different in Norwegian and English, but I chose names that will sound good in either language. My first name sounds very different in almost every language, but it’s not the end of the world.

Yeah, I feel it’s not a big deal if the pronunciations are slightly different in the two languages, as long as it’s just slightly so. We got really lucky to find the name for our first son (Rayhan) as the pronunciation is pretty much identical, and I do like the fact the both sets of parents (one set who speaks no English and one set who speaks almost no Chinese) both pronounce the name exactly the same way. That always makes me smile. But if we can’t do identical it’s alright too. I don’t wanna sacrifice an amazing name like [name]Evander[/name] or [name]Amias[/name] just because of one letter or syllable that’s pronounced just a bit differently.

With Rayhan, I would choose…

1 [name]Caius[/name] [name]Brandt[/name]
2 [name]Amias[/name] [name]Brandt[/name]
3 [name]Evander[/name] [name]Edward[/name]

@mischa- Thanks for the suggestions!

[name]Caius[/name] and [name]Evander[/name] are definitely my favourites, and I love the sound of [name]Caius[/name] [name]Edward[/name].

@sheflies- I really like the sound of [name]Caius[/name] [name]Edward[/name] too, but I’m a little worried that they’re both Twilight characters. I’m usually not one to worry about this kind of pop culture association too much, but having two names that are both associated with it makes it a little strange to me. I’m leaning towards using [name]Brandt[/name] if [name]Caius[/name] is chosen, at the moment.

My favorite, by far, is Amius. I think it’s a great, underused name. I really like [name]Zamir[/name] as well.

@rosey- [name]Glad[/name] to see the appreciation for [name]Amias[/name] and [name]Zamir[/name]. To be honest, [name]Amias[/name] is very possibly inching ahead of the others in my mind these days (though I kind of wish it had a better shortened nickname that could go along with it). I also really really like [name]Zamir[/name], but I’m starting to think I may not choose it since my first son already has an Arabic name (as do I), and we don’t have any Arabic roots or anything (though both names have roots not just in Arabic, but in several languages). I like the idea of getting some more name diversity in our immediate family.

Oh, I didn’t know that about [name]Caius[/name]. That’s a shame because [name]Caius[/name] [name]Edward[/name] is so cool. [name]Caius[/name] [name]Brandt[/name] sounds great too.

I am partial to Caian, because I’ve done so much research on it. southern.maple may be thinking of names like [name]Caden[/name]/[name]Caidan[/name]/[name]Cayden[/name], etc., which are epidemic here in the U.S., and [name]Kai[/name], which is rising. With the [name]Caden[/name] names, the pronunciation is different (long A sound in the first syllable), whereas [name]Kai[/name]'s pronunciation matches the first syllable of Caian. Caian could be confusing among these other names. To me, that’s part of its charm; it’s an obscure and ancient name that yet fits right into the current American naming landscape. However, since you’re living in [name]China[/name], that issue is probably nonexistent. And Caian also gets points for translating perfectly into Chinese! I didn’t know that about it.

[name]Caius[/name] is my second favorite for you–Caian’s older version is, indeed, super-cool these days. If I was choosing a form of this name to use myself, [name]Caius[/name] is probably the one.

[name]Emrys[/name] is number three–I like its Welshness, its unusualness, and last but not least, its meaning. I want to like [name]Ambrose[/name], but I really like [name]Emrys[/name]. If you were in [name]America[/name], you might have people who’d hear the name and think he was a girl. Would it even be a problem in [name]China[/name]?

I like [name]Amias[/name]; I am partial to names with endings similar to this; but I like most of the others better: [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Matthias[/name], [name]Silas[/name] (similar), [name]Elias[/name].

The strongest point for [name]Zamir[/name], for me, at first glance, is the multiplicity of great meanings (similar to Rayhan’s name.) I don’t care for many Z-beginning names. I don’t really know why. Maybe they look too exotic for my taste, like they’re trying too hard to be cool. I certainly think [name]Zamir[/name] could grow on me, but I hadn’t seen it on your list till now, and I just like your other options more.

I think I prefer [name]Brandt[/name] to [name]Edward[/name] for every one of these names. I like to choose names with different rhythms and syllable counts, and each of your choices, except for [name]Amias[/name], has two syllables, like [name]Edward[/name].

Best wishes! Whatever you choose, he will definitely be a well-named baby.