Just for fun, but please answer!

Ok this is mostly for fun but could come in awfully handy for a little short-story of mine. It is kind of set-up like a name game but not. I give the describtions of the character and you put in the name you think best fits.

The story is set in rural [name]Montana[/name] on a large ranch. The ranch is owned by a 31 year old man who just so happens to be a polygomist with four wives and is engaged to a fifth.

The rancher is very tall and on the heavier side although more built than fat. He is soft-spoken but with a big laugh and is actually a funny person (funny as in good at telling jokes not as in weird). What name would you give him?

Wife #1- She is legally married to the rancher. She has dark blonde hair and green eyes. She isn’t mean or rude but she is a very take charge kind of person and is not afraid to get her hands dirty or to tell someone where to go.

Wife#2- She is sweet and polite. She would never say anything bad to someones face but when alone with her husband she talks a mile a minute and lets him hear everything she thinks. She thinks of her husband as her best friend and he is the only person she really trusts. Be has brown hair and big blue eyes. She could be the prettiest of the wives if she didn’t try so hard to be frumpy.

Wife#3- A sassy southern-bell from [name]Texas[/name] she is the strongest minded of the wives. When she talks you can hear her a mile away. She has a booming laugh that matchs her husbands and she has a very short temper. She is the tallest of the wives at 5’10 and she has long curly red hair and bright green eyes. She is also the hardest wife to rain-in and she has a problem with keeping their family secret underwraps as she doesn’t feel they should have to be.

Wife#4- The most “normal” of the wives she is even tempered and is usually the mediator when the wives get into arrguments. She works as the ranchs horse trainer and does a lot of work off the main ranch. She is the only wife that doesn’t live at the “main house” with her husband. Instead her and her son [name]Ryder[/name] live in a three-bedroom ranch house fifteen minutes ride away from the main house and horse barn in either direction. She is probably the most independent of all the wives. She has light brown hair and hazel eyes. Arguably the ranchers favorite wife and wife#1’s best friend.

Wife#5- Is not married to the family yet. She is the ranchers soon to be youngest wife at only twenty-one years old she is ten-years younger than him. She is shy but very ambisous and overjoyed by the thought of being married. She is more than a little upset when she finds out she will be getting her own two-bedroom home on the ranch aways from the main house. She is young and a bit wild and niave. She has light blond hair and blue-green eyes, she is also a bit skinnier and more fraigle than the other wives.

[name]Rancher[/name]: [name]Shane[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Eli[/name], [name]Luke[/name] or [name]Asa[/name]
Wife No# 1: [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Bernadette[/name], [name]Marion[/name], [name]Lorraine[/name]
Wife No# 2: [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Nadine[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Margot[/name]
Wife No# 3: [name]Abilene[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Lurline[/name], [name]Lorna[/name], [name]Eulalie[/name], [name]Roxanne[/name], [name]Maxine[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name]
Wife No# 4: [name]Grace[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Frances[/name] or [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Future[/name] Wife No# 5: [name]Greta[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Sophie[/name]

I love all the options but I was really hoping for more or less for the first name that pops into your head for each one.

What about…

[name]Rancher[/name]- [name]Lucas[/name]
Wife #1- [name]Lauren[/name]
Wife #2- [name]Naomi[/name]
Wife #3- [name]Roxanne[/name] ([name]Roxy[/name])
Wife #4- [name]Grace[/name]
Wife #5- [name]Lillian[/name] ([name]Lily[/name])
?

You would have a hard time maintaining a polygamist family in [name]Montana[/name], as it would not be tolerated there. You are pretty well limited to the northwest corner of [name]Arizona[/name] and some places in [name]Utah[/name].

None of your wives ring true to the situation, which is fraught with sexual abuse. Perhaps you should study the subject before you think it is “fun”.

Wow wow wow friend. I have a few problems with your rude little post.

#1 Polygamy really isn’t “tolerated” anywhere.
#2 There are actually polygamy compounds in [name]Montana[/name], so maybe you should do a little research yourself.
#3 I know that the foundamentalist morman groups that are most often linked to polygamy do subject their women to sexual abuse. However my short story has no conection or base to any religous group. In this situation the polygomy is not for religous perphaps. Thanks so much for asking before you jumped to conclusions.
#4 I have studied the subject at lenght for some papers I wrote in college.
#5 When I said “just for fun” I was referring to the name question not the subject or the short-story.
#6 Please don’t “answer” any of my posts if you don’t have anything nice to say then it is best to say nothing at all.

Sorry if you think I was rude. Perhaps you’re a little defensive? Anyway, names or no, I just didn’t think – and still don’t – the subject is “fun.” The practice is abusive everywhere it exists. And yes, it is tolerated in [name]Arizona[/name] and [name]Utah[/name], as anyone who has tried to rescue the lost boys and abused girls will tell you. As a teacher of creative writing and a published author, that’s my reaction. You can listen or not, that’s your choice. As an editor, I wouldn’t publish a story like the one you’re proposing, so good luck with it.

Clearly your still not getting it. I did not say the subject was fun. I asked a name question for the fun of picking out names for questions. It is not a novel or anything I am trying to get published, it is for a short-story booklet me and a few friends do each year for the four of us. A tradition we started my second year of college. Yes I do think you where rude and if you are being honest with yourself you know you meant it to offend. I really think you should get off your high-horse and get out and have some “fun” yourself. Maybe then you wont feel the need to get so upset over something you randomly read online.

Sorry, but I have to agree with miloowen. You never said that the subject of polygamy was fun. But attaching a “fun” exercise to a practice that is illegal , in my eyes negates the seriousness of it. If your story had 5 sisters and not sister wives, I may join in the “fun” of throwing names out. You said that you had done research into polygamy before writing your story. Surely, you’ve found enough names without having to get help.

I really don’t get why people are so upset by a small piece of fiction that not only has no premise in reality or to any abusive religious practice but will only be read by a small handful of people.

The reason I asked for the names is because this is NAMEBERRY and that is what it was meant for. If you don’t want to join in my post and pick the names out you like, do me a favor and keep your own comments to yourself. When did people stop at least pretending to be polite?

Actually, there was nothing in my post that was impolite. Are the only polite people in this world the ones that agree with you? If that’s the case, you must know alot of impolite people . Maybe you are defensive because you know that your subject matter is questionable at best. If you are proud of your subject matter and your writing , perhaps the wives names can be yours, your mothers or your friends. Or would they not like to be associated with something like that?

[name]Do[/name] not intiate posts if you aren’t prepared to accept the responses.

I think it would have been better if you had posted descriptions of your characters without telling us their relationships to one another. :?

I’m done playing into peoples mean comments. I actually have better things to do with my time and a higher self-respect than to let a few rude words influence me.

My question still stands to anyone who wants to have FUN in naming the characters based on their personalities not the situation they are in. I’m not going to change my question or apologize for the subject it is on because I think it will make for an interesting story and I know my friends will enjoy the read.

I really love names and I think it is so fun to come up with names for each one of them based on their family, their life, and most importantly their personality. Nameberry really should be all about the names and I would love to get back on that track with this post. :smiley:

[name]Hope[/name] no one else is scared away by the other rude posts lol!

The rancher: [name]Danny[/name]
Wife #1: [name]Lisa[/name]
Wife #2: [name]Karen[/name]
Wife #3: [name]Ruby[/name]
Wife #4: [name]Jessica[/name]
Wife #5: [name]Beth[/name]

Those are the names I think fit best. Are there any that you’re considering?

Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I was kind of considering:
[name]Rancher[/name]- [name]Lucas[/name]
Wife #1- [name]Lauren[/name]
Wife #2- [name]Naomi[/name]
Wife #3- [name]Roxanne[/name] ([name]Roxy[/name])
Wife #4- [name]Grace[/name]
Wife #5- [name]Lillian[/name] ([name]Lily[/name])

But I really like the idea you had about naming the rancher [name]Danny[/name]. I think it would fit even better than [name]Lucas[/name].

[name]Rancher[/name]: [name]Wes[/name]
Wife 1: [name]Mary[/name]
Wife 2: [name]Sarah[/name]
Wife 3: [name]Roxanne[/name]
Wife 4: [name]Michelle[/name]
Wife 5: [name]Tina[/name]

Again, I apologise for any offense caused. I honestly thought since this thread said “Writers Corner” it was for writers.

Won’t post here again.

Apology excepted. I think that maybe for the best.

another case of irony and reality merging into one.

i merely meant that i would not answer any of your posts.

i hope that will be “exceptable”.