Just found out it’s a girl!

My husband and I just found out we’ll be having a girl in [name_f]April[/name_f] (our first!), so we are trying to edit our name list down.

I’ve been keeping a list of future baby names since I was in my teens, but now that it’s finally a reality I’m having a hard time feeling like I love one enough to use it for my own child. Below are some ideas that we’ve thrown around:

[name_m]Ryland[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellison[/name_u]
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_u]Colby[/name_u]

I shared my first name with five other girls in my grade growing up, so I’d like to select a name that won’t be so popular. I’d love to hear any other suggestions; I’m struggling right now to even find a common thread with the names that I like thus far.

Thank you for your help!

[name_f]Briar[/name_f] is nice! I also like [name_u]Avery[/name_u] :slight_smile:

Some others
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashby[/name_u]
[name_u]Quincey[/name_u]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]

I really like [name_u]Everly[/name_u] though I’m not sure I’d use it because its so trendy, but I also like [name_f]Briar[/name_f] (especially as a middle name) and [name_u]Ellison[/name_u] and [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]. I am partial to E names :slight_smile:

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Briar[/name_f]

From your list I only like [name_m]Ryland[/name_m], it’s unique, I only heard of one person with that name, but that’s on youtube.

Here’s a few more:
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
Haisley
[name_f]Colleen[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Briar[/name_f], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_u]Everly[/name_u] :).
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Rylan[/name_u]
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_f]Indie[/name_f]
[name_u]Indiana[/name_u]
[name_u]Mason[/name_u]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Gracen[/name_f]
[name_u]Kendall[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Veda[/name_f]
[name_u]Casey[/name_u]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kyah[/name_f]
[name_f]Kara[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]

The common thread I see so far is that you seem to have a very modern taste in names: you seem like you’re attracted to unisex and un-frilly names with a trendy feel, but not names that are strange or outlandish. You also seem to like mostly two-syllable names and an occasional three. From your list, I think [name_u]Colby[/name_u] seems like the best option given what your taste seems to be and what your criteria is. A few options you could also consider:

[name_u]Arden[/name_u] - rare at #969 on the popularity charts; shares some characteristics with [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], and [name_m]Ryland[/name_m]. It sounds unisex and modern. [name_u]Arden[/name_u] sounds like a good name for spring to me – it’s so bright and happy sounding, and it’s the name of the magical forest in [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s As You Like It. You could also go with [name_u]Auden[/name_u], which has a beautiful meaning (“old friend”).

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] - [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] to me has the same feel as [name_f]Briar[/name_f] and [name_u]Everly[/name_u]; modern and trendy but also feels storybook-like. It’s not particularly common (#239 for girls) and has some of the sound elements of [name_u]Colby[/name_u] and [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] –*the “o” sound and the “n” ending that gives the name a soft sound.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - I thought I’d suggest this since you seem to like streamlined names and names that end in -y, and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] isn’t in the top 100. I personally love this name and I think it works well with a spring baby because of its botanical association.

[name_f]Evie[/name_f] - Obviously very similar to [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. Not sure if you’d like what this looks like on paper but you do have quite a few names starting in E, and [name_f]Evie[/name_f] has a lovely meaning (“life”) and is out of the top 100.

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] - [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is obviously a pretty modern name, and I’m not sure if it’s too out-there for your taste, but I find it really adorable, and I thought it sounded nice with your other names. It’s #272, so not too common.

[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] - This name is modern and unisex so I figured I’d suggest it – it would work nicely as a MN for many of the names on your list (i.e. [name_u]Everly[/name_u] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_u]Avery[/name_u] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], etc.) It’s a bit popular, though, given that it’s in the top 100.

[name_f]Greer[/name_f] - Unisex name, sounds similar to [name_f]Briar[/name_f]. It’s fairly rare (not in the top 1,000).

Good luck!

From your list, I like [name_f]Briar[/name_f] and [name_u]Colby[/name_u]. Other ideas:
[name_u]Ellery[/name_u]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_u]Kirby[/name_u]
[name_u]Shelby[/name_u]
[name_m]Crosby[/name_m]
[name_f]Britta[/name_f] or Brittain or [name_u]Britt[/name_u] or [name_u]Brett[/name_u]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_u]Gwynne[/name_u]

I love [name_f]Briar[/name_f], my favourite from your list. I also think [name_u]Colby[/name_u] is interesting and could work well. Not a fan of the others.

[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamasin[/name_f]
Tanyth
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynna[/name_f]
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_u]Tully[/name_u]
[name_u]Tierney[/name_u]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_f]Ravenna[/name_f]
[name_u]Paget[/name_u]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]

I like several of your options, especially [name_f]Briar[/name_f] and [name_u]Avery[/name_u], although [name_u]Avery[/name_u] is pretty popular.

You seem to like surname-type names that are modern. Some other options:

[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_u]Tierney[/name_u]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Briony[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]

Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies! Unfrilly, modern surnames is exactly the description that was alluding me; that alone was so incredibly helpful.

I shared your ideas to my husband tonight, and we both agreed on adding [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] to the list. I also loved [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] and [name_u]Arden[/name_u] (I actually grew up next to a little girl named [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and she was the cutest.) I’ve always loved the name [name_u]Brett[/name_u], so I’m wondering about [name_m]Bretton[/name_m]? Although my first name is [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], so I’m not sure if that would be odd.

I think [name_u]Everly[/name_u] is perfect, but after reading your latest comment, I’d vote for [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]!

I love [name_f]Briar[/name_f], [name_u]Everly[/name_u], and [name_u]Avery[/name_u]. [name_u]Everly[/name_u] and [name_u]Avery[/name_u] are both pretty common right now, especially [name_u]Everly[/name_u]. [name_u]Love[/name_u], love, love [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]!

My favorite from your list is [name_u]Colby[/name_u]! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it

What about [name_f]April[/name_f]? :wink: