Just Gus?

I’ve been digging [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. I already have [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] on my list but right now I’m liking [name_u]Gus[/name_u] on its own. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is acceptable for a full first name?
Thanks!
HTB

“Acceptable” is a loaded word, but I don’t care for it. It strikes me as too folksy, too plain, too hard to dress up if the occasion requires. I don’t think it’s a particularly beautiful combination of sounds and divorced from a longer name with some history/associations, it falls pretty flat.

People will certainly think it’s cheerful, though, and it’s certainly unpretentious. Looking at the rest of your signature, I think it’s dramatically out of character; you’re considering wildly ornate beauties like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] and [name_m]Dmitri[/name_m]. [name_m]How[/name_m] could you name one boy [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] and the other [name_u]Gus[/name_u]?

I point this out because the big aggregate of names gives many more clues to your real style, the real reasons you’re attracted to particular names. Personally I like the trimmer [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] much more than [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] (which childishly I think sounds like ‘disgust us’), but [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] fits much better with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] than [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

I’m not sure about [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. It’s cute on a little boy, I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but it just feels like a nickname to me.

That’s a hard one. I have a weakness for [name_u]Gus[/name_u], so I want to say yes yes, it’s fine on its own. However, if I were [name_u]Gus[/name_u], I guess I’d want a longer form to fall back on. My second cousin was Just1n nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. I do like [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] a bit more than [name_m]Augustus[/name_m].