Just not loving Lucy

I have always admired your sibset. I would love to have a [name_m]Mark[/name_m] (swoon) and [name_m]Paul[/name_m] (my brother’s name). [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] would be nothing short of STUNNING in your sibset. The suggestion by ahtermom to compromise with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] sounds like a great solution. What a gorgeous name!! Congratulations on being blessed with another child!

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (maybe because we have a dog named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]).
I saw [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] in your signature. [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] IT. It goes great with your other children’s name too. [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] all the way.

Thank you so much. We practically had to arm wrestle my brother-in-law and his wife for [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. It was our boy’s name for [name_u]Clare[/name_u] and when they had a boy right after her they nearly used it…I was on edge her whole pregnancy.

curious why you prefer [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] over [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. given how traditional your other names are I think keeping the “h” would make sense – not my choice to make though!

St. [name_f]Susanna[/name_f], an early [name_m]Roman[/name_m] virgin martyr, is traditionally spelled without the “h”. I learned this when I googled St. [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. We spell [name_u]Clare[/name_u] without the “i” because St. [name_u]Clare[/name_u] of [name_f]Assisi[/name_f]'s name is traditionally translated into English without the “i”. Our younger daughter [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] is spelled that way because it honors the American philanthropist St. [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] Drexel. Also I noticed that in the Catholic translations of the Bible the two woman named [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] (one in the book of [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] and the other in the Gospel of [name_m]Luke[/name_m]) are both translated without the “h”. So it appears that both [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] are traditional spellings. Of course this is base on the research I’ve conducted in the last 24 hours so I could be mistaken.

For a long time, I was on the fence regarding the spellings [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. When I discovered that the biblical spelling was [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] (including the original [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] version from the 1600s), that settled the issue for me. Then I learned that the Latin Vulgate translation (used in the church since the 4th Century A.D.) also spelled the name [name_f]Susanna[/name_f]. So [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] is the older spelling. The same is true for the spelling of “[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f].” The Latin Vulgate and [name_m]New[/name_m] Testament both spell the name “[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f].” Some people mistakenly assume [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] is the older or traditional spelling, but it is not.

Best wishes!

That’s so interesting that the [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] Version spells the name without the “h”.

I actually really like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] but would never use it because of its popularity

Biblical/Saints names (because you seem to like them?)
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] - apparently an Italian saint
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] - keeping the C/K theme?
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]

[name_f]Easter[/name_f] names:
[name_u]Pascale[/name_u] - means born at [name_f]Easter[/name_f] (sounds very masculine though)
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] - sounds like [name_f]Easter[/name_f]?
Odolette - maybe it’s a bit out there seeing as your other children’s names are quite traditional but I couldn’t resist, it means little spring
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] - means ‘ewe’ and baby sheep are born at [name_f]Easter[/name_f] :slight_smile: also biblical
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f] - a species of butterfly and butterflies are around in spring?

It’s a shame you can’t use [name_f]Lily[/name_f] because it’s very appropriate for an [name_f]Easter[/name_f] baby!

Based on your other, more traditional-sounding names, as well as other preferences, these are the ones I’ve thought of:
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]- Not the most traditional, or really going with your preferences, but I think it sounds wonderful with [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] and [name_u]Clare[/name_u], and the nickname ‘[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]’ is just precious.
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]- A much prettier (in my opinion) version of ‘[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]’ that could also be used as a middle name (EX [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f])
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]- Another ‘[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]’, but with less similarities to [name_u]Clare[/name_u].
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]- Once again, another branch off the ‘[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]’ tree without the sound of ‘[name_u]Clare[/name_u]’. Also, with the optional nicknames of [name_u]Charley[/name_u] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f].
Elsabeth- a cool take on ‘[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]’ and ‘[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]’ that I personally love, and that I think sounds lovely with [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] and [name_u]Clare[/name_u], and has the same ‘a’ sound.
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I could help!

I think [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] could work! It’s biblical, short like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (and some of your other names), and has the same vowel sound as [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. DH could even call her [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] to make it even closer.

I agree [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] would be a lovely match for the other kiddos names!

I also like [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] (maybe you could call her [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]?). Does [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] have a nn?

Other classic feeling names/saints/bible associations:

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Candace[/name_f] (I think this would be lovely together; [name_u]Clare[/name_u], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Candace[/name_f]).
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Myra[/name_f]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] I’ve never loved either, I just see it as more of a dog’s name. It also sounds overly sweet in my opinion.

I was thinking about [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] again (my husband likes it too). In its favor; [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] from the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] Chronicles, and St. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] (but it is pronounced Loo-sha in this instance) so maybe that would be more appealing too? I for some reason love the nick name [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], but just don’t love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] for some odd reason:)

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], instead of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]? I also love the suggestion of [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Susanna[/name_f]. Or how about [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]?

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. I’m also going to add [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f], which I think would work great with your sibset. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Louise[/name_f] as a middle name? It’s similar to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].