Just wondering, which would you have picked Rhys or Reid?

I have 2 boys, [name]Owen[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]. I came across this wonderful site only after they were born! Anyway I love names and often think of all the possibilities I could have used - although I still think [name]Owen[/name] is so well suited even if it has gotten way too popular for my liking. My second son is [name]Rhys[/name] and I really struggled with trying to name him. He is 18 months old and I still second guess his name- mostly because most people in my inner circle still get the spelling mixed up! My question is what name sounds best with [name]Owen[/name], and yet also has a Celtic vibe, is a bit preppy, sporty, and yet maybe even a little artistic, [name]Reid[/name] or [name]Rhys[/name]?I feel as though nameberry folks are much more “my style” then the mass baby naming websites etc. [name]Reid[/name] was my runner up name and I felt it was safer, yet I thought liked the sound of [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] a bit better then [name]Reid[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]. [name]Just[/name] curious what you all would say.

[name]Reid[/name] or [name]Rhys[/name]?? and these are the spellings of each I prefer.

Definitely [name]Rhys[/name]! [name]Both[/name] [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name] are Celtic names that go so well together! And I love [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]! (My son’s name is [name]Kyle[/name] [name]Patrick[/name].) :slight_smile:

I love both names, I really do. I can see why it was difficult to decide. In all honesty, I think [name]Rhys[/name] is a much better pairing with [name]Owen[/name]; I think you made the right choice! [name]Rhys[/name] and [name]Owen[/name] are great together! Besides, you may have had the same spelling issues with [name]Reid[/name], anyway…people asking “is it [name]Reid[/name] or [name]Reed[/name]”? :wink:

Thanks for the feedback:-) Not that I am changing it NOW but still just wondered what other nameberrys would have voted for. I think in the end I liked that [name]Rhys[/name] had a softer sound then the D ending of [name]Reid[/name] with the middle name of [name]Patrick[/name]- which was a given since we are Irish and he was due St. Patricks [name]Day[/name]. Now I am wondering if I ever have another what would go with [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name]! LOL!

[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name], definitely! I love that you used the original spelling.

I love [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name]! People will get used to the spelling of [name]Rhys[/name]–just try to have patience with people!

Thanks - I guess I just need to have more confidence ad be more prepared for all the questions about [name]Rhys[/name]’ name. I hope he likes it when he grows up! I live in an area with a lot of Jacobs, [name]Matthews[/name], [name]John[/name]…you get the picture so I think that is part of the problem with people being so unfamiliar with it but I think the name has so much has history and I don’t see it as trendy. His teacher asked me if I made it up!? For real!

I know what you mean…where I live, we have a lot of Jacobs, Jacks, Michaels, etc. When I had [name]Kyle[/name] almost 13 years ago, some people said, “Oh, isn’t that a girl’s name?” I wasn’t very happy about that! Since then, I have yet to meet a female [name]Kyle[/name]!

Definitely [name]Rhys[/name]. I love [name]Reid[/name] but I adore [name]Rhys[/name] and it goes so well with [name]Owen[/name]. They are not only both Welsh, but they are also the names of two of [name]Wales[/name]'s national heroes - [name]Rhys[/name] ap Gruffydd and [name]Owen[/name] Glendower ([name]Owain[/name] Glyndwr) - both medieval knights who fought against Welsh oppression by the English.