Katherine, Catherine, or other

Which is your favourite spelling of [name]Katherine[/name] and why?

My favorite spelling is [name]Katherine[/name]. I do like [name]Catherine[/name], and also [name]Katharine[/name], but [name]Katherine[/name] is just the one I always come back to. On the other hand, I’m not a fan of the [name]Kathryn[/name] spelling. I think it’s the Y and the overall abreviated-ness that bothers me.

[name]Alexis[/name]

I’m torn between [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Katharine[/name]. I like them both, but I think [name]Katherine[/name] is the spelling most people would automatically go to, whereas a [name]Katharine[/name] would have to be like, “It’s [name]Katherine[/name] with two a’s”. [name]Catherine[/name] is also a nice spelling, but it’s the one name where I prefer the K variant over the C. [name]Kathryn[/name] looks awful to me, not feminine or pretty at all.

All in all, [name]Katherine[/name] (however you spell it) is a gorgeous name, and one of my favourites! :slight_smile:

My favourite spelling is [name]Catharine[/name]. I think it has do do with the roundness of the letters, and the fact that I hear it differently in my head when spelled that way–For some reason I hear [name]Catharine[/name] or [name]Katharine[/name] as more of a kath-uh-rine sound, and [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Katherine[/name] as a kath-er-rine sound. I’m not a fan of [name]Kathryn[/name], perhaps because I seem to place so much importance on the middle syllable, and I see [name]Kathryn[/name] as kath-rin. Strange, really, to think about it…

I’m named [name]Katharine[/name] after [name]Katharine[/name] Hepburn ([name]Kate[/name] for short), and I absolutely love it. She’s such a terrific namesake, and it makes me feel unique and fabulous that my name isn’t spelled like all the other Katherines and Catherines out there. My name is constantly spelled wrong on reservations, credit cards, etc., which is a hassle for sure, but I think it’s a small price to pay for having such a special name.

It’s a toss up between the two, [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name]. I like [name]Katherine[/name] because it looks strong and leads to [name]Kate[/name]. [name]Catherine[/name] just looks so soft, elegant and sophisticated. K names generally bring to mind trendiness and misspellings. Ehhhh… As a first name, [name]Katherine[/name]. As a middle, [name]Catherine[/name]. Not helping much, am I?

I like [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Katharine[/name] and [name]Catharine[/name]. The C looks much softer, while the K seems harsh. I really like the look of the A in the middle, too.

I love [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Katharine[/name] and [name]Catharine[/name]… maybe in that order… I’m not sure. My mom is [name]Katherine[/name] and she doesn’t like any of the other spellings, so I’m inclined to prefer that one, too. But I really do like that C…

Oh, I rarely pronounce the middle syllable. It sounds exactly like [name]Kathryn[/name] when I say [name]Katherine[/name]… My cousin is named after my mom and when my mom says her name, she says [name]KathERine[/name], very much emphasis on the middle syllable. I guess that’s how she says her name too but she goes by [name]Kitty[/name] so I don’t really ever hear her say it. My cousin and her parents don’t pronounce the middle syllable at all. Hmmmm.

My favorite is either [name]Katharine[/name] or [name]Catharine[/name]. I love the nicknames [name]Kate[/name], [name]Cate[/name], [name]Katie[/name], and [name]Catie[/name]. I think I like the two a’s because they are different but it’s still a traditional name.

Definitely [name]Catherine[/name]! My daughter’s name is [name]Emily[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. My DH and I chose [name]Catherine[/name] because it has a softer, more elegant look than [name]Katherine[/name] does.

My name is spelled [name]Kathryn[/name] I really wish it was [name]Katherine[/name]. I hate the way my name is spelled.

[name]Catherine[/name], because it’s my middle name, so for me it’s always been the “right” spelling. It just looks so much softer and gentler. Also, I like Cs more than Ks in general.

Of those options I like [name]Catherine[/name] best, but my absolute fav is [name]Caterina[/name]. I’m just afraid that people might pronounce it as [name]CATE[/name]-ree-na…
[name]How[/name] would you pronounce [name]Caterina[/name]?

[name]Kat[/name]-er-eena, I wouldn’t expect people to get it wrong, it’s a well known name. I can’t imagine people saying [name]Cate[/name]-ree-na, that is very awkward and difficult to say! On a side note, is [name]Marguerite[/name] your real name? I love it! It’s my #2!

I have always preferred the [name]Catherine[/name] spelling. Others have already mentioned that they feel it has a softer, more feminine sound and I have to agree. Also, I tend to have a strange aversion for “K” names. [name]Catherine[/name] with a C sounds much more refined to me.

[name]Jackie[/name]

[name]Kat[/name]-er-eena, I wouldn’t expect people to get it wrong, it’s a well known name. I can’t imagine people saying [name]Cate[/name]-ree-na, that is very awkward and difficult to say! On a side note, is [name]Marguerite[/name] your real name? I love it! It’s my #2![/quote]

Thanks! I’m not expecting, but I really really really love the name and I hope to use it in the future if I have a daughter.
Yep it’s my real name :slight_smile: . It’s really uncommon in the Netherlands (where I live) and though some people have serious trouble pronouncing it, I still love it. And I’m glad that other people love it too :slight_smile: .
[name]Just[/name] out of curiosity, what’s your #1 name?