Katherine VS Catherine and middle names?

[i][i][i]I love the name [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and intend to use the nicknames [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]. Does that mean it would make more sense to use the K spelling or is it less trendy to use the [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] spelling of the name. Which spelling do you prefer for this name…?

I am looking for a middle name for [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f], please can you vote on my poll and choose your favourite? Any suggestions would be welcomed! In particular, I would love a P middle name, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks! <3[/i][/i][/i]

I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. You can still call her [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Cate[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Kittie[/name_f], etc. [name_m]Williams[/name_m], [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] and [name_m]Richards[/name_m] are called [name_m]Bill[/name_m], [name_u]Billy[/name_u], [name_m]Bob[/name_m], [name_m]Rick[/name_m], [name_m]Dick[/name_m], etc. and have been for years even though the names don’t contain the letters.

I like [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] but I don’t think there is any issue in using [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] with the nn [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f]/[name_f]Kitty[/name_f].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], I don’t see why the C would be an issue

I prefer [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and I don’t see why C would be an issue…

I’m team [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]! It just feels more classic.

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f]

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Phaedra[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_u]Paget[/name_u]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Parisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pele[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Peony[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Perla[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Petronella[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] Phaenna
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] Ptolemais
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

Overall, I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. But I adore the nickname [name_f]Kate[/name_f], and would call her [name_f]Kate[/name_f] 100% of the time so [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] makes more sense to me in order to get to the name [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

It works fine for [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], so it’s just my preference.

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] with a C is so beautiful. Not a fan of the K, even if you do want to use a K nn.

I’ve always preferred [name_f]Katharine[/name_f]

I’m partial to [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. It’s more gentle looking to me.

I like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] better. I think [name_f]Cate[/name_f] is cute. You can use [name_f]Catie[/name_f]/[name_f]Cady[/name_f] as well for [name_f]Katie[/name_f], but [name_f]Kate[/name_f] Middleton is named [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] as I’m sure someone else has already pointed out. For a P middle name, I like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. Other suggestions:

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Posy[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u]

[name_f]Non[/name_f]-P suggestions:
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Margo[/name_f]/[name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaux[/name_f]

I think it’s fine to spell it with a C and have the nns start with a K. I prefer [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] anyway, though. I agree with PP that [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] looks more gentle.

I like [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f].

I don’t think the C/K should be an issue - spell it how you like.

Middle name suggestions: [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Pilar[/name_f]?

Good luck!

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

I am in the minority but it completely baffles me that Catherines go by [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. What is wrong with [name_f]Cate[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]? I also prefer [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] spelled with a second “a” (like Hepburn).

I prefer [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] with a K. I prefer the way it looks in print and in script… and I prefer to write a script K over a script C. I named my daughter K@therine [name_m]Austin[/name_m] and she was always called [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. I don’t think the two syllable name needs a nickname. When I named her there were so many Kates and Katies that I figured [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] would be different. I love the original name and think it has such a distinguished air about it. I used the middle name [name_m]Austin[/name_m] to honor my grandmother [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]. Her sister’s name is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. I don’t really have clear reasons why, maybe because I associate the K mostly with more creatively spelled names. Either way it’s a lovely, timeless name. I also love [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] as a nn! My favorite nn is [name_f]Kat[/name_f]/[name_f]Cat[/name_f].

Suggestions for P middles:

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Paulina[/name_f]/[name_f]Polina[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pia[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]/[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Posy[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Petal[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]/[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Philippine[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Phaedra[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Portia[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Priya[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Parisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]

I normally don’t like to spell names with K when they can be spelled with a C, but this name is my one exception. I actually prefer [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] to the more classic spellings because it seems more elegant to me (probably because I associate it with Hepburn), and absolutely love both [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Cate[/name_f]. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] with a C somehow looks/feels more old fashioned to me, though, even though they’re all basically the same name. But as others have said, I don’t think a particular spelling precludes you from using any nicknames you want :slight_smile:

Isn’t [name_m]Britain[/name_m]'s [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] a [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]?
Initials are important to me, so if you could manage to spell [name_f]CAT[/name_f] or [name_u]KAY[/name_u], either would be a neat nn as well as looking nice on a briefcase. [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_u]KIT[/name_u] is cute. You don’t give a last initial.