Keep with the pattern?

Still can’t settle on our boy combos, so I’m taking a break and going back to the girls. Our top two girl combos are [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]. The middle names obviously have two prominent things in common: a “ph” somewhere in the middle and “ia” at the end. It wasn’t our intention, but if we happen to have a third daughter, what do you think we should do? The way I see it, we have four options.

1. Keep the theme and use a middle name that has a “ph” and ends with “ia”. - There aren’t a whole lot of options for names that have both, but I do really like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f], Seraphia, and [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f]. If we did go this route, the first name would almost definitely be [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. (Except with [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. I think if we did want to use [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], it would be as a first name.)

2. Use a name that contains “ph”, but doesn’t end with “ia” - In this case, I would pretty much have my heart set on [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]/[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f], paired with [name_f]Mary[/name_f]/[name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Veronica[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], or [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f].

3. Use a name that ends with “ia”, but doesn’t have a “ph” - Examples of “ia” names we like: [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Junia[/name_f], [name_f]Asteria[/name_f], [name_f]Zinovia[/name_f], [name_f]Celestia[/name_f], [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f], [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] (well, I love it; DH doesn’t), [name_f]Vesperia[/name_f], etc. Again, the first name would probably be [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] are other possibilities.

4. Forget about trying to match the other two altogether - If we did, some possible combos are: [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]/[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] (which would kind of match with [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m]), [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f] (if we have three daughters, then we won’t have an [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - barring any surprise multiples - so that’s not a problem), [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Melisande[/name_f], and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Salome[/name_f].

Any thoughts? Thanks!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] drop in to say ALL your kids’ names are gorgeous. :wink:

I love to keep the theme if I were you. Now, favourites from the list:

1. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Seraphia- I do love [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] but Seraphia sounds fresh here.
  2. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Asteria[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Salome[/name_f]

ps: Adding [name_f]Apollonia[/name_f] besides [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f], maybe? Too bad your DH doesn’t like it.

So, you have just one son, and you have two names picked out that you like for a future potential girl/girls, but you’re concerned about needing a third name that matches in case you have three more children and they are all girls? I don’t really think this is something you need to stress over… as of right now, you don’t know that you will have even one girl, right?

I know for me, my tastes have changed quite a bit in the year or so that I have been seriously considering names for future babies. I think that three babies from now, that might be a possibility for you, too!

One name that stood out to me as particularly nice from your choices/combos was [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f].

Thanks, [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Asteria[/name_f] is gorgeous! I’ll ask him about [name_f]Apollonia[/name_f]. Since it’s a saint’s name, he might go for it.

Very true, but this is Nameberry, where part of the fun is dreaming up names for future children you may not even ever have! :slight_smile: I’m not stressing at all, just merely curious about what others think about the issue, since it is possible that we might have three daughters and we are fairly set on these names at the moment. [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_f]Cecile[/name_f] is one of my favorites, so I’m glad you like it.

I’m going to keep each of your own categories and make suggestions of additional names in each group, if that’s all right.

1. Keep the theme and use a middle name that has a “ph” and ends with “ia”. - My favourites are [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] & [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f]. Adding one, I like Euphrasia! Euphrasia means “good cheer” and I like it a lot. [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f]/[name_f]Iphigeneia[/name_f] is an option too, and I kind of like it, but it’s quite clunky and its myth is rather tragic.

2. Use a name that contains “ph”, but doesn’t end with “ia” - I like [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] but I also like [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], [name_f]Philomela[/name_f], [name_f]Raphaela[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

3. Use a name that ends with “ia”, but doesn’t have a “ph” - I like [name_f]Celestia[/name_f], [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f], & [name_f]Vesperia[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f], [name_f]Cassia[/name_f], Luscinia, [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. And [name_f]Alethia[/name_f] (truth) and [name_f]Laetitia[/name_f] (joy).

WDYT of [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]? [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]? I think it’s beautiful!
Best of luck! I love the names you’ve picked out.

@stripedsocks - Oo, Euphrasia is very pretty! And I like the [name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables connection. (The [name_m]French[/name_m] version Euphrasie was [name_f]Cosette[/name_f]'s real name, if I remember correctly.) My thoughts on [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f] are pretty much the same as yours: kinda like it, but a bit too clunky for my tastes. From your other suggestions, I like [name_f]Raphaela[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f] (but feels too similar to [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]), and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. Thanks!

@jem - [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is beautiful, but I’m not sure if I like it or not. I’ll have to think about it. Thanks!

I think any way you go is fine, but i have to say my favorite mn for that combo is [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f]! [name_f]Love[/name_f] it!