Keeping the original name

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you keep the original name during adoption for pets?

1 Like

Not usually.

We did, but only because no other name seems to suit them better! I would open to choosing a new name for a different pet in the future.

Yes! My dogs are named Zoey and Ruby, and we liked those names.:relaxed:

But I also know a dog that was named Poptart, so her name became Mali (Molly). Really depends on how good or bad their pre-adoption name is!

I didn’t but im not sure cats really care much. If it were an older dog I don’t know what I would do.

Yes, or I at least incorporate it into the new name somehow.

Usually no, sometimes yes.

[name_f]My[/name_f] parents cats:
OG name: [name_m]Simba[/name_m] → Adoptive name: Coquette
OG name: I think [name_f]Molly[/name_f]? → Adoptive name: [name_f]Charlette[/name_f]
OG name: Cannoli → Adoptive name: Cognac

Coquette was a kitten when they got her, [name_f]Charlette[/name_f] was around 2 or 3 I believe, and Cognac was 6

[name_f]My[/name_f] cats:
OG name: don’t remember → Adoptive name: [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
OG name: didn’t have one → Adoptive name:Miracle
OG name: Butterscotch → Adoptive name: Butterscotch

All of mine were kittens when I got them

With my first dog I did, but we loved the name when we heard it. Otherwise, we don’t keep the original name (with rare exception).

we change our dog’s name from Taco Bella to just Bella, so not a huge change but still a different name

i don’t think it matters much if you change it, though, since i assume dogs can relearn their name if they have to

Only if we like it. [name_u]Duke[/name_u] stayed [name_u]Duke[/name_u], [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] became [name_m]Tank[/name_m], Groucho became [name_m]Nacho[/name_m], [name_m]Ernesto[/name_m] became Lego(las), and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] became Ahsoka.

I did for [name_f]Stella[/name_f], but renamed [name_m]Laszlo[/name_m] (originally Lion)

I keep the original as a “middle name.” I have cats though, so they honestly don’t really tend to learn their names in the first place lol (my parents didn’t keep their dogs’ names either though and had no issues).

We keep the names even though I love naming things! There is always some reason for doing it, for the 2 dogs we adopted it was to help with training, the first 2 guinea pigs we loved their names, and then the last one we changed from [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] to [name_u]Bell[/name_u]. I don’t love human names for animals.

We’ve done it with two of our pets because we either liked the name or the name just fit them perfectly!

We only changed one of our cats name because her original name was Lil’ [name_f]Mama[/name_f]. She’s now [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]!

The rest never had original names :blush:

Yes, I did keep the original name