Kendras baby name is...

I dunno if everyone here knows who [name]Kendra[/name] [name]Wilkinson[/name] is… she has a few reality shows, Im not to knowlegable on her myself but my oldest neice loves her… anyway!
she is currently pregnant with a son she plans on naming [name]Hank[/name] Baskett the 3rd (I belive-could be the 4th, 5th… who knows)
I was just wondering what everyone thought of this… “Jrs” and “2nd, 3rd, etc…” names arent as popular as they used to be but I think it is a fabulous thing to do, (although Im not a huge fan of the name [name]Hank[/name].) especailly when celebrities these days are giving there children names like [name]Mowgli[/name] and [name]Moon[/name] Unit! :slight_smile:

Eh, it doesn’t do anything for me. I understand why people do it. All of my firstborn male cousins on my father’s side are juniors except for my brother - Mom flat out refused. I think it’s nicer for a kid to have his own name and use the father’s name as a middle name.

I think it’s cute to name your child after their father. 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths don’t bother me unless your name is something like [name]Harrison[/name] Butts or [name]Redmond[/name] Blood.

A name is just something people call you, it shouldn’t make or break your whole life and identity.

2nd, 3rd etc. have always struck me as a little prententious, and while I completely understand naming a child to honour someone, I find it strange when parents bestow their own name upon their child - I don’t know, it just seems vain to me.
I would hate to be a [name]Junior[/name], too - identifiable as a miniature of my parent, with no original name to make me an individual …
My view might be slanted though, because these are very unusual practices over here in [name]England[/name].

Hmm I see what you mean, but at the same time, if I was say… the 4th, and was named after my father, grandfather, etc… and had a son, I would feel almost guilty NOT keeping the tradition going… but with the said, I like it hen people use variations…
Like, if your name is [name]John[/name]… naming your son Jonanthan.
[name]Christien[/name]-[name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Christine[/name]-[name]Kristin[/name]
[name]Kathleen[/name]/[name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Kaitlyn[/name]… etc
[name]Anna[/name]-[name]Savanna[/name] (my mom & daughter)

Or theres alwayd the “son” names, which I like…
If your name is [name]John[/name], name your son [name]Johnson[/name]… “[name]John[/name]'s son”

Jrs, etc can cause problems now with credit ratings and such. Sometimes it’s a hassle. My dad’s a 3rd and my mom refused to continue the tradition. But she did give my brother the same initials, so that was cool. Also someone else mentioned putting the dad’s name as the son’s mn–that’s probably what I would do.

And I disagree with pp who said that a name doesn’t make your identity. A name can change your life–make it easier or more difficult. People’s first impression of you is often your name, maybe even only in writing. It makes a difference on how you are perceived–whether or not you have to overcome that first impression (as with a professional named [name]Candi[/name] or something). Obviously, [name]Candi[/name]'s competency at her job is not determined by her name, but some things are!

I think there are way more creative ways to name your son after his father without making him a [name]Jr[/name]., III, IV, or V. I understand the reasoning but to me it is boring and causes a Ton of confusion (my brother named his son a [name]Jr[/name]. and it is problematic to say the least!!!) I wrote and article on this very topic. Check it out if you like.

[name]Elisabeth[/name] Pani
[name]Baby[/name] Names Examiner