Kerrin

I recently discovered the name [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f]. It seems really unique and I can’t find much information on it. I did find an entry in Wikipedia and some notable mentions.

Male
[name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], (born 1964), [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand badminton player
[name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] (born 1951), Australian rules footballer
[name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] McEvoy (born 1980), Australian jockey

Female
[name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-Gartner (born 1966), Canadian alpine skier
[name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] Petty (born 1970), American-Swedish cross-country skier
[name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] Vautier, [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand economist

I am really liking the sound of it. What do you think? As a boy/girl/unisex name?

So, is it pronounced just like [name_f]Karen[/name_f]? I think it sounds fresher on a boy.

I think it is pronounced KEH-RIN. Like a hard K followed by a EH sound and then RIN. I would pronounce [name_f]Karen[/name_f] more as a KAH-REN sound.

I just noticed [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] is all pink when I returned to the thread. Glares. It’s 50% male/female based on a survey of six :stuck_out_tongue:

I pronounce both the same (keh-rin/care-in)

1 Like

I knew a [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] in high school but she spelled it [name_f]Keren[/name_f]. I remember thinking it was [name_f]Karen[/name_f] for the longest time before I found out it wasn’t. I’m not a fan but I like the spelling [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] better. And only for a girl.

Not sure if I’d use a “[name_f]Karen[/name_f]” sounding name right now with all the social media name-calling centered on “Karens” during this time.
(I have nothing against the name, there is nothing wrong with her.)

That said, I know a few Karens, and a [name_f]Keren[/name_f]. Sounds feminine to me.

1 Like

I knew a boy with this name when I was younger but it was spelled [name_f]Keryn[/name_f]. I honestly like it!

1 Like

@Sky85 that’s cool and an interesting spelling for a boy. I like both spellings.

I pronounce [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] and [name_f]Karen[/name_f] differently! It can work for any gender, but I think it’d be a cool name for a boy. However, it is similar to [name_f]Karen[/name_f], so I wouldn’t use the name at present moment because of all of the negative things associated with [name_f]Karen[/name_f] right now!

2 Likes

@regionlatbest do you think the [name_f]Karen[/name_f] thing would really apply to a boy with the name [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] though? Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems a stretch. Probably by the time I have a boy the [name_f]Karen[/name_f] thing may have passed too.

2 Likes

I think unfortunately, people would associate the two just because they sound so similar, even if the gender was different. Also, in some accents, [name_f]Karen[/name_f] and [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] probably sound identical which doesn’t help. I think in a few years this wont be an issue though, just at like the immediate moment. So technically you could name a baby boy [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] this year, because by the time he’s in school, the [name_f]Karen[/name_f] association would probably be gone.
Also, I don’t think it would be a dealbreaker for me if I loved the name anyway. The names are different and the genders are different, so it wouldn’t be the strongest association. I do think there’d be [name_f]Karen[/name_f] comments for anyone named [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] though, and I’m sure that would get annoying for the wearer of the name. So while not a dealbreaker, something to think about! Although, maybe not for you if you aren’t planning on using the name anytime soon haha.

@regionlatbest it won’t be for a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too but I pronounce this KURR-in, which is different from [name_f]Karen[/name_f].

I know a [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f]. Its technically pronounced [name_m]Kier[/name_m]-an but she gets called [name_f]Karen[/name_f] so much that she just accepts it as an alternate pronunciation to her name.

She does get “[name_f]Karen[/name_f]” comments so she has started telling people the “real” way to pronounce her name.

I dont think [name_f]Kerrin[/name_f] works for a boy with this spelling. I would just do [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] for a boy.

1 Like