Kim for a boy

I’m transmasc and [name_u]Kim[/name_u] is my legal middle name. I know it’s technically unisex but I have a hard time viewing it as such. It would make a lot of things easier and raise less questions if I went by my middle name for now but I’m not so sure if I can ever view it as a masculine name but maybe that’s just me because it’s my bn and I never learned to view it any other way.

So how do you see the name [name_u]Kim[/name_u]? [name_m]Can[/name_m] you see it on a man? Would you be surprised to meet a [name_u]Kim[/name_u] who wasn’t a woman?

This was in the 60s, but my best friend Scott’s older brother was [name_u]Kim[/name_u]. He was named after the [name_m]Rudyard[/name_m] [name_m]Kipling[/name_m] character.

[name_u]Kim[/name_u] is fine either way.

3 Likes

I can see [name_u]Kim[/name_u] on a man! I actually think of [name_u]Kim[/name_u] as being a surname before I think of a given name, probably because I’ve known Kimberly’s but none who actually go by [name_u]Kim[/name_u]. Meanwhile I’ve known plenty of people with the last name [name_u]Kim[/name_u]. So that makes it feel unisex to me.

1 Like

I was born not too long after the 80s [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] craze, so my first thought would be that a [name_u]Kim[/name_u] would be female. However, I do know two adult male Kims. I believe they’d be in their 60s by now. Both are respected, professional members of the community and no one whines that they have a “girl’s name.” I was a bit surprised when I first heard their names but now it’s just normal, if not cool, to hear.

I think [name_u]Kim[/name_u] could be a great option for you!

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Kim[/name_u] as a masculine name! I think it’s a great option! I know one male [name_u]Kim[/name_u] now (in his 80s). The only issue I would see here is that it would sound vintage! which I don’t think is ever a problem here. I think it is definitely unisex!

1 Like

I have an Uncle [name_u]Kim[/name_u], and I wouldn’t find [name_u]Kim[/name_u] surprising on a man at all! [name_u]Truly[/name_u], I prefer it as a masculine name.

1 Like

I actually prefer [name_u]Kim[/name_u] for a boy and instinctively think of it as a boy name! If it was a nn for something I’d assume girl but as a full I always think [name_u]Kim[/name_u] is a boy

1 Like

Thank you all it’s good to hear that other people can see it on a man.

1 Like

I can see it on a man :slight_smile:

1 Like

Despite knowing a few Kimberlys, [name_u]Kim[/name_u] always feels very masculine to me! I can absolutely imagine it working on a man!! I wouldn’t be surprised to meet a [name_u]Kim[/name_u] of any gender!

If it helps, maybe you could find a long form you like, and use [name_u]Kim[/name_u] as a nickname? Maybe that might help you detach the feelings from it being your bn, and the feminine associations you have with it!

1 Like