Knightley - ?

Would it be stupid to use Knightley as a first name?

My immediate thought was [name]Keira[/name] Knightley. That’s the only time I’ve ever heard of the name. I also just hear “nightly” as in, I read nightly before bed.

Bit lofty I think, would worry about it coming across as pretentious. Honestly though, my first thought is [name]Kiera[/name] Knightley because there are now so many little [name]Kiera[/name]s around.
What part of the name (sounds) do you like, or what is drawing you to it? Is it the meaning that appeals?
What about [name]Darcy[/name], or [name]Wesley[/name]? I think [name]Ryan[/name] mean “little king” or something of the like

Ohh no. This seems like one of those names I hate seeing on people: [name]Princess[/name], [name]Prince[/name], [name]Kingsley[/name], [name]Majesty[/name]…and now Knightly. I don’t think these names work [name]IRL[/name]. It just puts too much on your kid. He needs to grow up to be Knightly.

So, sorry to be harsh, but this is so far removed from all your other choices, I almost feel like you’re over thinking the need to find a name that sounds “knightly” that you started thinking “knightly” would make a good name >.<

Again, sorry I seem so harsh. I love the other names you’ve mentioned so far though!

I think just [name]Knight[/name] would be a lot cooler… as a middle name.

Edited for privacy.

I think it’s a bit much, what about something knightly like [name]George[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Richard[/name], [name]Oliver[/name] or [name]Percival[/name]?

Edited for privacy.

I went straight to [name]Kiera[/name] Knightly so the image it gives me is very feminine. This would prevent me from taking it seriously as a boys name. Knightly also seems a little pretentious to me. I cannot picture this on a child not set up to inherit a fortune :frowning:

Well, I am going to disagree with everyone on the forum. I think this would be a fabulous choice! I really don’t associate it much with [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s [name]Emma[/name] (although I love Mr. Knightly), [name]Keira[/name] Knightly, or with a royal title. I think of it just as a classy last name turned first name. In my opinion, go for it!!!

I like the concept but I think like others have mentioned it’s not great in practice. I think it will come off as someone said too pretentious or even impractical. I do like [name]Kingsley[/name], but I’m not sure on an actual child either. The biggest thing which I didn’t think of until someone mentioned is that everyone that hears it is going to think Nightly which will be a pain and also detracts from the name.

What about the name [name]Loyal[/name]? I think that’s a pretty dashing name that’s simple and familiar as a name and has some of the same concept as Knightly. [name]Duke[/name] might be another good sub.

Edited for privacy.

Knightley sounds a bit comedic to me, much like [name]Valiant[/name]. I guess I get that association from “Spaceballs” because of [name]Prince[/name] Valium.

I agree with [name]Theodora[/name].fairfax!
I think its a gorgeous boy’s name.
Although I do love Mr. Knightly from [name]Emma[/name] too :wink:

It’s cute I like [name]Knight[/name] better though

I really like the name [name]Noble[/name]. It means aristocratic. It definitely fits in with Knightly, [name]Knight[/name], [name]Valiant[/name]. Or [name]Baron[/name]? I don’t like it as much as [name]Noble[/name], but it works too.

If you can name a boy [name]Kingsley[/name] and call him [name]King[/name], I don’t see why you can’t name one Knightley. I actually like it and the nn [name]Knight[/name]. Though I would think of night rather knight if I heard the name. I say go for it.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Valor[/name]?

I agree the using [name]Knight[/name] as a middle name would be the best idea. Too bad [name]Arthur[/name] doesn’t work with your last name becasue that it my favourite “knight” name!