Kol?

I heard it in TVD (The Vampire Diaries) and I loved it!
I like [name]Cole[/name] just fine, but Kol has this edge to it that I really like. I’d use it for a middle name.

Think it brings more to my [name]Cole[/name] combo. Kol seems so much stronger.

Thoughts?

Hmm. I’m undecided. Is it an international variant of [name]Cole[/name] or something? Because otherwise, I think [name]Cole[/name] is better. When I first saw Kol it struck me as a trendy form of [name]Cole[/name], or a trendy spelling of a nn for a Col- name (like [name]Kolton[/name] nn Kol or something). I think people would mispronounce it a lot, too, but if it’s only a MN I don’t think it’d be a huge issue.

[name]How[/name] long is your surname? Because [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is pretty long! I think something like [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] Kol [name]James[/name] might be okay (especially since he’d mainly be [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name]), but something like [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] Kol Friedrichsberg would not be so hot, haha. I’m even trying to imagine it with my surname, which is 8 letters but only 2 syllables… so it appears a bit long. Much of a two-MN sort of gal that I am, I don’t think I could do [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Cole[/name] Andrews, or whatever. It’s just too lengthy.

From what I’ve seen, Kol is a Danish name from the Viking Ages meaning [name]Coal[/name], or the colour black. I’ve also read the it’s derived from the old [name]German[/name] word “cholo” which means Cabbage, and was used as a surname for those who grew/sold cabbages.
It supposedly means dark in Swedish too, and in English means [name]Coal[/name]'s town.

I totally see what you mean by trendy, which I think is so unfortunate because it’s such an ancient name and spelling!

His surname would likely be…8 letters, 3 syllables. So yeah, it’s pushing it.
I just love [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], but it’s too…dry by itself. And I love [name]Nathaniel[/name] Kol, so I figured it’s worth a try.

Hmm. Well, with that heritage, it’s that much more appealing to me! And now that I think of it, it doesn’t really surprise me that Kol has other European connections–Germans often swap the "C"s for "K"s, and I would think [name]Cole[/name] in [name]German[/name] would be said like “coh-luh”, much like [name]Ariane[/name] is said similar to [name]Ariana[/name] there. I don’t know [name]German[/name], that’s just what I’ve been told/seen from really old [name]Hogan[/name]'s Heroes episodes (lol!), so Kol makes sense from a [name]German[/name] standpoint, at least. I don’t know anything about Swedish culture/their language, but it does make sense there, as well! If you use it as a MN, I think it’d be fine, especially if you have ties to any of those nationalities in your family tree…

Mhm. Well, the baby would. My BF is mostly [name]German[/name], and very proud/patriotic. :slight_smile:

I like it! I think it is better as an MN but could really work!

I thought it was Koi as in the fish until I looked closer. If it’s a legitimate spelling, go for it. I myself like [name]Cole[/name] a lot better though to be completely honest my gp is spelling [name]Cole[/name] as [name]Coal[/name]. I just love [name]Coal[/name], spelled this way, for a name.