Laelia...help with spelling and differenciating between Lila

I really like the name [name]Laelia[/name]. ([name]Lay[/name]-[name]Lee[/name]-A). I usually like traditional spellings…but I don’t want the name to be confused with [name]Lila[/name], [name]Lyla[/name], [name]Leila[/name]…etc. Any suggestions?? I love the name and the meaning (resembling the orchid).

Pretty name, but I’m not a fan of the [name]Laelia[/name] spelling. I’ve never seen it that way. I’ve had two friends with this name, both Persian and one spelled it [name]Layla[/name] and the other [name]Leila[/name]. Personally I wouldn’t never mistake those spellings for [name]Lila[/name], but I’m sure some would.

See that’s the problem right there lol! All the Laylas and Leilas, there are too many! But [name]Laelia[/name] is [name]LAY[/name]-[name]LE[/name]-A. [name]Layla[/name] is just [name]Lay[/name]-La. [name]How[/name] do I get around this? Because when you look at the name first…it just falls into the [name]Layla[/name]/[name]Lila[/name]/[name]Leila[/name]/etc.

What do you think if I threw an H in there? Laeliah? Layleah? Any other ideas? [name]Lalia[/name]? Ughhhhhh. I just like it so much!

Not really my naming style, but I see the appeal. It’s unique, but has a familiar sound. Anyone who tries spelling it without assistance is just going to butcher it, though since there are SO many ways this name can be spelled. If you choose this name I don’t think you should alter the spelling since that IS how to word is spelled.

Of course you would have to call her L. since that is how it is abbreviated for all the orchid names. Hehe

When I first saw your post, I did pronounce it correctly in my head with the spelling ‘[name]Laelia[/name]’.
Other options may include:

• [name]Laylia[/name]
  • Leilea/Leileah
  • Laylea
  • Layleeyah
  • Laeliyah

I dig the name–I love the names [name]Leila[/name]/[name]Layla[/name], [name]Leia[/name], etc…never saw this one before!
Best,
L.

I think your [name]Lila[/name] worry is unjustified. But the popularity of [name]Layla[/name] IS something to worry about. Be prepared for endless correction no matter how you spell the name. [name]Laelia[/name] is the original spelling, so I’d definitely use that. It’s pretty phonetic and not any more difficult than any other spelling, in my opinion.

If you love the name [name]Laelia[/name], then you should spell it that way (since that’s the way the word is spelled). Nothing else will make pronunciation fool-proof and will only serve to make it visually unappealing (Layleah? Layleeyah? ugh). I don’t think you’ll have any problem with [name]Lila[/name], but may have confusion with [name]Layla[/name]/[name]Leila[/name]. You’ll have to decide if you love the name enough to put up with the occasional mispronunciation or question.

Good luck!

my cousin in law and his wife just named their baby laelia norelle…she’s about nine months old. from experience, getting used to the name was difficult at first…had to train myself to say it properly…but now its no biggie. i didnt have an issue trying to pronounce it from reading it, either. i find myself shortening it to lae or lae-lae when im talking about her to her mom.

Ohhh I love ths name has been on my list for a while now!!
But I do see the problems with [name]Layla[/name]/[name]Leila[/name]/etc. [name]Even[/name] with that I wouldn’t change the spelling cause theirs no way to fool proof it. I would love to see a little girl with this name since it’s such a adorable one! :smiley:

Thanks for your input! I have liked the name for awhile…but the double “LL” trend is huge right now! It’s hard to find a pretty name that isn’t super popular! I’m still not set on the name…I need to do more research. I like names with one spelling…and this one has a ton of alternatives. I just wouldn’t want her to have to spell out her name for everyone. It looks pretty on paper though :slight_smile:

I think it’s pretty and interesting, but you’re right, it kind of blends into the double L trend. [name]How[/name] about [name]Eulalia[/name] nicknamed [name]Laelia[/name]?