Laís

We just found out we are having another girl. Our eldest son is Júlio and we have 1 1/2 year-old twins [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and Nathália. We are Brazilian and currently live in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u], so it’s important that the names we pick work for portuguese-speaking people.Becuase of my husband’s work we will move to the US for at least 6 months next year, but we are thinking about staying permanently. So the name shouldn’t cause too many problems in the US either.

Our front runner at the moment is Laís (pronounced la-EES). It’s a typical Brazilian name and we love it. The only thing that was holding us back a bit is the fact that one of our daughter’s middle name is Laisa, which is pretty similar. But since we never call her by her full name and most people don’t know she even has a middle name, we figured it should be fine. My husband even considered changing [name_f]Amanda[/name_f]'s middle name…

So my questions are:

1. Is it a problem that it’s similar to her sister’s middle name?

2. [name_m]Will[/name_m] we have lots of trouble with her name in the US?

I’ve posted this on another forum as well, so I just copied and pasted it to make it easier. On the other forum opinions were quite mixed, but many pointed out an unfortunate association with the words lice, lies and lays.
So we’re thinking to either pick out a nickname she could go by while we’re in the US (e.g. [name_f]Lily[/name_f]; [name_f]Lacey[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]) or pick out a more universal middle name, so she could by her Brazilian name in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u] and by the other name in the States (or any other country).

A few other names we like, but don’t love as much: [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Lorena[/name_f], [name_f]Raquel[/name_f] / [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] (ra-KEL), [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Luisa[/name_f], Thaís (tah-EES - on the upside this name is not that close to Laisa anymore, on the downside it’s probably even harder for English-speakers to pronounce). There are many more we love, but my family is HUUUGE and almost all other names are taken. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is one of my all-time favourites, but it’s my sister’s name (I always wanted to have her name instead of mine ;)) , so it’s pretty much out.

Thanks in advance!!!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] milasmonsters :slight_smile:
First of all, I’d like to congratulate you!

I don’t think that you should change your daughter’s middle name. Your favourite is Laís, your daughter´s middle name is Laisa, so to me it is like you´ve already chosen your favorite name. I don’t live in the US nor am I a native English speaker but I think that the pronunciation will be easy. Júlio, [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], Nathália and Laís sound great. I would find another name, regardless of what other people say, if you feel that this is a problem, there it is. At least for you. She’s your child and you should feel that it’s the perfect name for her. But if you love it and you can’t find another name you love as much, I suggest that you use it :slight_smile:

Well, as far as I am concerned my favourite Portugese name is [name_f]Adelina[/name_f]. I don’t know if it is used in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u] as well. I first heard the masculine form in 2012. I was watching a football (soccer) match of my favorite club against Wolfsburg and one of Wolfsburg’s players was named Adelino Vierinha. His name is so cute for a boy but for a girl it sounds like the perfect name. It has a similar sound to [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] :slight_smile:

What about
[name_f]Fernanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatriz[/name_f]
[name_f]Cristina[/name_f]
[name_f]Inez[/name_f]/[name_f]Ines[/name_f]
[name_f]Rafaela[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]/[name_f]Vitoria[/name_f]?

Thank you so much for your suggestions. You’re probably right with what you’re saying, so thanks a lot! I also [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the suggestion of [name_f]Adelina[/name_f]. I have to say I’ve never heard it here in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u], I just know the English form [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], but I’ve never met anyone named [name_f]Adelina[/name_f]. I’ll run it past my husband when he comes home!

[name_f]Fernanda[/name_f] is actually the name of my twin sister, so we were considering to use it as a middle. I also love [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] a lot, but my husband didn’t seem too enthusiastic about it, unfortunately.

Thanks again for the lovely suggestions - especially [name_f]Adelina[/name_f]! It’s a beautiful name!