Lane or Kit?

Everyone was so helpful in my [name_f]Flora[/name_f] vs [name_f]Clea[/name_f] debate (we still have both on the list, but since I’m more apt to panic at needing to choose in the hospital than feel suddenly clear-headed, it’s nice that we’re now going in with a bit more of a frontrunner/back-up). So I’m back for a little more advice for boys’ names, since we’re Team [name_u]Green[/name_u] and only finding out the sex on the Big [name_u]Day[/name_u].

We have one son, [name_u]Pax[/name_u], which is a very meaningful family name I’d planned to use since I was in high school (not [name_u]Paxton[/name_u], just Pax). His middle name is also a family name we love. Our last name sounds like Coff-tree. And the two names that have shaken out as frontrunners for a brother are:

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] - a family surname up the tree on DH’s side, though high enough that it isn’t super meaningful like the middle name we’d pair it with.
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] (Kitt?) - not planning on [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], though we don’t mind it (but we dislike [name_u]Chris[/name_u], and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] feels too traditional compared to Pax). We don’t have any Kits/Christophers in the family, but one of my sisters is a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. (And the middle name we like a little better with [name_u]Kit[/name_u] is actually the other sister’s middle name… Not sure we’d tell DH’s side of the family, though, since that feels a bit like playing favorites–Pax’s whole name ALSO comes from my side!)

Mostly I’m curious: what do [name_u]Lane[/name_u] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] bring to mind - aesthetically, visually, mood-boardy, imagery-wise? Does one sound better with [name_u]Pax[/name_u]? Is [name_u]Kit[/name_u] Coff-tree too sing-songy or nicely alliterative?

Also open to suggestions! We bandied [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] about for a long time, but it’s fallen into third place partially because I’m afraid it’s too trendy and partly because naming one child peace and one wilder seems like it might be silly (even though I suspect name nerds are the only folks who might even notice…).

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] has a storybook vibe, it’s gentle and warm, reminds me of country lanes and meadows

[name_u]Kit[/name_u] is sharp but sweet, it reminds me of old books and the theatre, but as the same time, scuffed shoes and dirty knees.

I do enjoy [name_u]Kit[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

I love both [name_u]Lane[/name_u] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u] so I probably won’t be of any help.

I will say though that [name_u]Lane[/name_u] sounds a little softer/more gentle which is the same vibe I get from [name_u]Pax[/name_u]. I also like that [name_u]Lane[/name_u] and [name_u]Pax[/name_u] don’t have the same number of letters BUT that is purely my preference and honestly I just can’t pick :joy:

Both names are wonderful and congrats on your baby :slightly_smiling_face:

I love the name [name_u]Pax[/name_u] btw

1 Like

aesthetically, Lane feels fresh and summery. i picture a little kid running through a field of flowers
Kit is more academic to me; i picture a kid reading books, drawing fantasy maps, and writing stories.

i think Lane fits better with Pax, stylistically. and unfortunately, Kit Coff-tree does sound too sing-songy to me

2 Likes

I like them both but I prefer [name_u]Lane[/name_u] in this context. To me [name_u]Kit[/name_u] is sharp and energetic and maybe a bit bashful, but it feels very much like a nickname to me. [name_u]Lane[/name_u] feels more complete and like @daisydream I like that it doesn’t have the same number of letters as [name_u]Pax[/name_u]. [name_u]Lane[/name_u] gives me a sort of “long and winding road” image that appeals to me, and I do like it with Coff-tree.

As a name nerd I would also steer clear of peaceful + wild and thus wouldn’t use [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], but I don’t know if most people would notice the distinction.

I actually really like the pairing of peace + wild! It’s a sweet link but I don’t think it’s too obvious, and [name_u]Pax[/name_u] has an energy that belies its calm meaning because of that punchy final X.

I also like both [name_u]Lane[/name_u] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u].

[name_u]Pax[/name_u] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] feel like a high-energy pairing: short, bold, punchy and modern. I would probably assume the three-letter, single-syllable pattern was deliberate. [name_u]Kit[/name_u] Coff-tree is a little bit repetitive but I think it’s definitely doable, and actually quite cool!

[name_u]Pax[/name_u] and [name_u]Lane[/name_u] give me gentler, more old-school cool vibes. I do like the different visual lengths and I think [name_u]Lane[/name_u] flows really nicely with your surname. [name_u]Lane[/name_u] would also be a nod to the other side of the family, which might be a nice bonus.

I love both [name_u]Lane[/name_u] & [name_u]Kit[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u] so I’m probably very unhelpful :woman_facepalming:t3:

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] feels sweet with a gorgeous storybook vibe personally I think [name_u]Lane[/name_u] feels peaceful, homespun and calming. I think [name_u]Lane[/name_u] aesthetically works wonderfully with [name_u]Pax[/name_u].

[name_u]Kit[/name_u] is fun! I think similarly to [name_u]Lane[/name_u] he feels homespun and has a storybook vibe. However I think [name_u]Kit[/name_u] feels more spunky and energetic. I also like that both [name_u]Pax[/name_u] & [name_u]Kit[/name_u] are three letters it’s a nice way to connect them all. I love a theme! The only thing that could be a bit tricky is that if you were to have more children you may feel limited to three letter names.

I think I prefer [name_u]Lane[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u] just because [name_u]Lane[/name_u] has the same peaceful imagery. I also like that [name_u]Lane[/name_u] nods to DH family which would be lovely.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped :white_heart:

I’ve never met a man named [name_u]Lane[/name_u] in real life so my only association is the butler from The Important of Being [name_m]Earnest[/name_m]. It feels quite posh to me as a result! I also think of [name_u]Lane[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], so it reads feminine to me.

I love [name_u]Kit[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u], both spunky and cheerful.

I like [name_u]Lane[/name_u] and [name_u]Pax[/name_u] together, but [name_u]Lane[/name_u] as a first name to me leans very feminine as opposed to the middle.

[name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_u]Pax[/name_u] mesh well meaning wise and they are both short and spunky.

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote is, if you’re gonna use [name_u]Land[/name_u] as the first I say go with [name_u]Kit[/name_u]. But If you are open to [name_u]Lane[/name_u] as a middle, that’s the way I would go.

Either way all of these names are wonderful and I’m excited to find out which you ultimately go with!

It’s funny, I’ve also only known a female [name_u]Laine[/name_u] (plus [name_u]Lane[/name_u] from [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls, another girl) but when we were batting around ideas, I looked it up on the SSA lists and it’s used far more for boys than girls! I think that there are about the same number of male Lanes in the US as female Laney/Laineys (at least in terms of popularity rankings). I don’t know how it managed to stay male/unisex in my mind, despite my personally only knowing a female one, though (maybe the [ill-fated] Mad Men character?). [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s side has a distant boy cousin named [name_u]Lane[/name_u], but my family’s side definitely thinks of it as a feminine name…

Anyway, thanks!! Very glad to be getting some impressions that haven’t been rattling around my own head for 9 months.

1 Like

I am typically not a forum person, but in the case of names and first impressions they can be a godsend for unbiased opinions!

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] is a very unisex name, I don’t know why as a first name it just looks girly to me but not in the middle lol same with [name_u]James[/name_u] on girls, love it in the middle pass as a first

I love [name_u]Lane[/name_u]! There is a little (boy) [name_u]Lane[/name_u] at our daycare and he’s adorable. While unisex- it’s absolutely works well on boys!

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] seems down to earth and friendly but I can see it working on a baby as well as a professional adult.

I like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] but it seems a little cutesy and not aging as well. Plus with the sing-Songy sound with your surname… I’d favor [name_u]Lane[/name_u]

Good luck

1 Like

Great names. I personally like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_u]Pax[/name_u] together more than [name_u]Lane[/name_u].

Ill suggest:
[name_m]Cane[/name_m]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Keith[/name_m]

1 Like

I have a grown son named [name_u]Layne[/name_u]. He was a beautiful baby boy who has grown into a strong, handsome, and successful man. He has a son named [name_u]Max[/name_u]. So I would choose [name_u]Lane[/name_u] with [name_u]Pax[/name_u]. :blue_heart:

1 Like

I think it’s interesting that some people find [name_u]Lane[/name_u] to be feminine because I find [name_u]Lane[/name_u] very masculine while [name_u]Kit[/name_u] leans feminine for me. As far as full names go, I prefer [name_u]Lane[/name_u]. I think it sounds equally like it could be the name of a bookworm or an athlete (or, you know, a well rounded person that likes to read and play sports :laughing:). I like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] but only as a nickname (I used to have it on my list years ago as a nickname for Kristoff).

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: A second baby boy!

Congratulations @ellenelle! A gorgeous name and a truly stunning sibset :brown_heart: :fox_face:

May I move your post to #birth-announcements so more people see it? And can we include Kit in our next Babyberry birth announcements blog post?

Was there ever a post featuring February’s birth announcements? I’ve been on the lookout but haven’t seen it; was wondering if I missed it?

I’m combining [name_u]February[/name_u] and March’s this time due to a low number of announcements in Feb. It will be published in the first few days of [name_f]April[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure! Thanks.

1 Like