Last minute doubts - help please

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries!

[name_f]My[/name_f] son is due in less than three weeks. His dad and I want to meet him before we settle on a name. We like international names that can be use in both [name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_f]English[/name_f]. We have had three options during this pregnancy:

[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] (or [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] - not sure yet about the spelling)
[name_m]Mathias[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]

I have some doubts now. I really love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], but it is not a common name where we live. I wonder if it would be difficult to have an uncommon name for our child?

I also like [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], but some people told me it’s a snobbish name.

Finally, I wonder if I should consider another name: [name_u]Adrian[/name_u]. It is international and easy to use in [name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_f]English[/name_f].

I just want to gather opinions on these questions. Thanks a lot in advance!

2 Likes

i love Bastian / Bastien! i say go for the name you love, don’t think about it being ‘too difficult’!

3 Likes

Bastian/Bastien is lovely! It’s familiar (close in sound to Sebastian) and relatively easy to pronounce, so I don’t think it’d be difficult for a child to wear. I like [name_m]Mathias[/name_m], too.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is not my personal favourite, but I definitely wouldn’t call it “snobby”. Again, [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] is not a personal favourite, but it’s a great choice considering your criteria.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite out of those is [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]! (predictable lol, since it’s in my UC) I don’t think there’s a need to worry about your child having this name or it being too uncommon! The sound of it is familiar (see: [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], etc.) and if you fancy nicknames, [name_m]Baz[/name_m] is fun and my favorite option.

[name_m]Mathias[/name_m] is one I like, but not nearly as much as [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]. It’s of course similar to [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] but fresh and grounded with the well known nickname Mat/Matt. Not my first choice but solid!

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] isn’t my style, but I definitely don’t see it as a snobby name whatsoever! In fact it seems like a very down to earth name to me and not old enough to have a “pretentious” or “snobby” feel.

[name_u]Adrian[/name_u] is a good back up to have in case upon meeting your little one, you decide your other options won’t fit. It’s similar to Bastian and [name_m]Math[/name_m]ias to me and fits the criteria you want.

tl;dr/order of preference: [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] → [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] → [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] → [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]

I wish y’all the best in deciding! :black_heart:

1 Like

I love both [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] and [name_u]Adrien[/name_u] :blue_heart:

1 Like

Go with your gut!

I absolutely love the names you’ve picked for your son! Admittedly [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] is my favourite, and on our lists but it seems like you love [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] . I prefer the ien spelling !

All these names are great !

2 Likes

I think they’re all gorgeous! Never thought of [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] as snobbish. Though my partner thinks [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] sounds snobbish (I don’t, that explanation was part of him vetoing it from my list).

[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], and [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] are all favourites of mine, and I love [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] too. Maybe keep all four on your list until you meet him? [name_u]Or[/name_u] see whether meaning or flow with your surname or anything else helps shorten your list further.

All the best for birth and meeting your wee one! :heart:

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] and I personally really don’t think that [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] sounds snobbish, I’m personally not a big fan of [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] through

1 Like

[name_m]Mathias[/name_m] and Bastian/Bastien are so wonderful!! [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is a very handsome choice as well. [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] is a nice name to add to your list, but I prefer the other three names you chose before.

Good luck with everything!

1 Like

[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is my favorite, but I like them all. Nice choices.

1 Like

Although [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] may not be popular in your area, I think it’s quite easy to pronounce when reading and easy to spell when hearing. Either spelling is great, but [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is more intuitive for me. I think it’s such a handsome name and I wouldn’t disregard it based on difficulty. Your other names are all lovely as well - good luck!

2 Likes

[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is so charming and lovely- it’s easy to say and spell

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is my favourite though - gentle but adventurous

1 Like

As a disclaimer I live in the US and hardly ever encounter [name_u]French[/name_u] speakers.

I personally don’t love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] but don’t think having an uncommon name is too much of a problem. I totally understand the concern though! It’s moved a few names off of our list…

I like [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and don’t see them as snobbish. Where is that coming from anyway?

I like [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] too!

It’s hard when you think about names for months on end! Good luck!

1 Like

I definitely don’t think [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is too unusual - it’s similar enough to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] that everyone should know how to pronounce it. Bas/Baz, [name_m]Ty[/name_m], or [name_m]Ian[/name_m] would all work as nicknames. I also think an uncommon name is a good thing - I would far rather my child have a unique name than be the fifth [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f] in their class.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is one of my favorite names and is on my shortlist for a masc-presenting child. I definitely don’t think it sounds snobbish! To me the name has a very gentle, romantic, slightly sorrowful vibe due to the Arthurian legend of [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f].

I think [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] could be an excellent backup name to add to your list! It’s dashing, romantic, and a little bit roguish, and definitely wearable.

1 Like

I would go with Bastian/Bastien. It’s one of my favourites and I don’t think it would be hard to wear at all. There’s nothing wrong with uncommon! Plus, being a part of a more commonly used longer name (Sebastian) means that people will feel a sense of familiarity with it, whether they’ve heard it before or not. Such a great name!

I’m not a huge fan of [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] but [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] are lovely names. They don’t stand up to [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] in my opinion though. But then again I grew up loving The Neverending [name_u]Story[/name_u] so part of my love for the name is that association!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your answers everyone!

I’m relieved to read that Bastian/ [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] wouldn’t feel too uncommon because of the association with the more common [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. Also, many of you pointed out that an uncommon name is not a bad thing anyway.

I’m happy to read that you don’t see [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] as a snobby name.

These two names are our top contenders. We discovered Bastian/ [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] through The Neverending [name_u]Story[/name_u] movie. This name feels sweet, gentle, and joyful to us, that’s why we like it (plus the childhood memories). For [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], I get the same vibe as @lavenderwitch : gentle, romantic, and a little bit sorrowful. We’ll keep [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] and [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] in the run just in case.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

I love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] and clearly you love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] so I say go for that. To me [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] isn’t challenging and pronunciation wise is very self explanatory. Also you do have the familiarity of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] which is a relatively popular choice so I think that would help people understand [name_m]Bastian[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] second favourite is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] which to me isn’t snobby at all but indeed a lovely romantic name very handsome

Good luck :blue_heart:

1 Like

Thank you for your comment! You reminded me to think about the meaning of each name. It’s an important aspect for me, but lately I forgot about it.

Bastian/ [name_m]Bastien[/name_m]: [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is the Greek translation for [name_u]August[/name_u], so these two names have the same meaning - great, magnificent. I love it! I don’t think baby would complain about it haha.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] : I love the association with the medieval knight from the Arthurian legends, but the meaning is darker, compare to our other names.

[name_u]Adrian[/name_u]: I like the connection to the Adriatic [name_u]Sea[/name_u].

[name_m]Mathias[/name_m]: The meaning is beautiful, but I don’t like it as much as Bastian/ [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

Regarding the flow with the surname, they all have a good fit. It doesn’t help in my decision, but that’s part of why I like each name :wink:

1 Like

I love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]! I think that’s a very cool and fun name. [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] has been gaining a lot of popularity so I feel like [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] would be similar enough to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] that people won’t be too thrown off.

[name_m]Mathias[/name_m] is cool. I feel like [name_m]Matt[/name_m] and [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] are very overused so if you’re going for a [name_m]Matt[/name_m] nickname it could be very popular.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is nice as well. Not super common but still one people have probably heard before. Doesn’t feel snobbish to me at all.

I like [name_u]Adrian[/name_u] a lot! Feels similar to [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] in terms of popularity and style.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it might be unfamiliar to most, I don’t think you’d have any issues with it. Most people at least are familiar with [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], so it won’t seem weird or difficult to pronounce/spell/etc. :slight_smile:

That’s my personal favorite of your list, but, really, you can’t go wrong with any of these!

1 Like