Last minute panic over a negative association

So I finally went ahead and told my family members and friends that I had chosen the name [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] for my DS. People I had told before had brought up [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Stefani[/name_f]'s son, that it’s the capital of [name_f]Jamaica[/name_f], the last name of [name_m]Sean[/name_m] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m], and that there are tons of cities across [name_u]America[/name_u] (and many other countries) called [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]. None of those associations bother me.

But then someone, for the first time, brought up the fact that Mormons are also known as the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan. I somehow never found that out while researching the name, and now I’m scared that a lot of people will associate that with DS.

I don’t know what to do now. I already had something engraved with his name on it, and DH and I both love the name, but I don’t want most people thinking of Mormonism when they hear his name. Only one person, out of everyone I’ve told, has mentioned this, so I hope it’s not a super common association, but I’m not sure now…

I dated a Mormon for a few months some years ago, and we talked quite a bit about his faith. I would say I know more than the average person, but certainly less than someone active in the faith. I never knew that [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan was another name. It would never had occured to me. If the pop culture references do not bother you, stick with it. Unless, of course, you are moving to [name_u]Utah[/name_u] and have a strong dislike for the religion such that anyone asking about that connection would upset you.

I’ve never heard of the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan before. I don’t think it would be a common association. I also think [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] is a wonderful name!

I have never heard of that but I am also not knowledgeable about Mormons. I do not think you have to worry.

Not that our situation was the same but it involved having a panic and doubts over a name. We had discussed my son’s name in the beginning when discussing names. I adore the name but dealt with a very unruly child with the name. We went round and round discussing other names. My husband was a VERY, VERY stubborn person related to baby naming. He ended up making a very good point after some time. He stated how much I adored the name before this undisciplined child and that this was just one person. Why should I let one person end my love of a name. In the end we went with the name and I have always been very glad I did. The name fits him well. As soon as I decided it was his name, even before he was born, I forgot about the name being attached to that other boy, it was my baby’s name.

You do not want to choose a wrong name but you also do not want to regret not using a name you adore.

I don’t think it a well known fact. I wouldn’t let it sway you, any name is going to have some baggage. If its a new name its trendy, if its an old name you can be sure that someone somewhere will know a terrible story associated with it. If you love the name and the well known associations don’t bother you, I wouldn’t panic about the obscure. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] is a FABULOUSLY handsome Name!! My ONLY association with it is also the way in which I first discovered the Name [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] as a Child, and added it to my Favourites List, - [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Biscuits (Cookies)! In Australia we have a famous Biscuit (Cookie) Company called Arnotts. There are MANY varieties of Biscuits which they make and everyone has a different Favourite! Mine are Kingstons: small round coconut, oat and golden syrup Biscuits sandwiched together with delicious rich chocolate cream in the middle. Kingstons are heavenly! Perhaps you could even make Homemade Kingstons for your [name_m]Son[/name_m]'s Birthday each year as his very own special tradition? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought, but I hope it has given you a really sweet association for a WONDERFUL Name! :slight_smile:

I feel like I’m a pretty average/typical person, and I can assure you I have never heard of that in my life. My mind would not go there, and as long as you don’t bring it up to ppl (who might then google it or whatever and then associate it w that name) I don’t think it will ever cross the minds of 99% of the population.
I think it’s a great name, and since you and your husband love it so much, I would urge you not to change it! c:

I knew it was a different name for the mormons, but I’m a master in comparative religion. When I see the name [name_m]Kingston[/name_m], mormons is not the first thing I think about. I don’t think most people have ever heard mormons referred to as the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] clan. I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, it’s not the best association, but even if you ever meet someone who happens to know this, it’s not like it’s the worst association ever. [name_m]Just[/name_m] go with it.

Any name can have negative connotations. I have never heard the Mormon associations and I can bet 99% of the population hasn’t either. Use [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] without worry of this one.

I definitely don’t know anything about that association. It would never have crossed my mind!

I can honestly say I would never know. I am a bit out of the loop and didn’t even know [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Stefani[/name_f]'s son’s name was [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] I don’t think.

I would go with it if you and your DH both love it! :slight_smile:

My husband is mormon so I know quite a bit. There is a [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] clan that is a breakaway from mainstream Mormonism who practice polygamy. I’ve actually met a few. As far as I’m aware, they do read the Book of Mormon but don’t consider themselves Latter [name_u]Day[/name_u] Saints- they definitely have their own leaders. They are a fairly small group, and pretty well integrated into salt lake society. [name_m]Even[/name_m] in utah, most lds people have never heard of them (I have a background in social work and law that has led me to work various polygamous groups)

My point is [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] is a surname of a family that lives an alternative lifestyle. Really it’s more likely to be associated with pop culture. I say go for it

Thanks so much for all the replies! Your comments have made me feel a lot better. I still have a little lingering uncertainty. Not so much that people would associate the name with the Clan but more so that now -I- can’t entirely disassociate it with it and neither can DH.

Mainly because when I type in the name [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] in Google search, the first “suggested search” that comes up is “[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan” and when I search that, most of the resulting websites describe the Clan as a group of sexually abusive people.

Wouldn’t have thought of that association. Unless you live somewhere where the religion is prevalent, I wouldn’t let it change your decision.

I am Mormon myself, and I have never heard of the nickname “the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan”.
There are other LDS (Mormon) branches, though, that don’t cobsider themselves Latter-[name_u]Day[/name_u] Saints (as @lightasafeather and @tfzolghadr explained), and the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan may be a nickname for them, but as far as I know, the Church of [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] [name_m]Christ[/name_m] of Later-[name_u]Day[/name_u] Saints is not known as the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan.
I really don’t think that most people would associate the name [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] with the “[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan.”

I don’t think you need to worry, honey. All I thought of when you said [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] was “oh what a nice name”. Most people don’t know the ins and out of various religious history. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Never heard of it! Stick with [name_m]Kingston[/name_m], itll be just fine :slight_smile:

I’m Mormon and from [name_u]Utah[/name_u] and I’ve never heard of the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. If you love it, use it!

That’s likely because you’ve already searched for the [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan. When I type “[name_m]Kingston[/name_m]” into Google, there are no suggestions for “[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan” and, even more telling, “[name_m]Kingston[/name_m] Clan” doesn’t show up in the first four pages of search results. I really don’t think it’s an association anyone else would make!

I’ve never heard that about Mormons and I live near a place with LOADS of them. These days it’s totally accepted as a name. Having it engraved on something already means you were SO sure about it, don’t one comment stop you…and maybe thank [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Stefani[/name_f] for solidifying it as a useable name that no one will really question now.
I loved the name [name_f]Harlow[/name_f] until someone told me it sounded like harlot. So at least you’re not there. This is your kid, name him what feels right!