Last name woes...

Hello all!
I am fairly new to Nameberry. My husband and I are expecting our first (a boy!) in [name_u]January[/name_u]. I am having some trouble, though, because of our last name. Several of the names I like, such as [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], etc. end in the -er sound, but our last name does too!! Our last name is similar to [name_m]Miller[/name_m]. Is it a big no-no to have a double “-er -er” name? I think it sounds a little awkward, but maybe I’m overthinking it. Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

I agree that choosing a first name that ends with the same sound as the last name sounds a little awkward. It’s not terrible though, especially if the syllable count is different for each of the names. For example, [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] is a little better than [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m].

Based on the names [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], I’m thinking you might also like:
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]

I hope that helps!

I don’t think it’s ideal, but if that’s all you love, I don’t think it’s the end of the world, either. I love a lot of -er names, too ([name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] are FNs on my list, and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is on my list as a middle!), and even though I don’t have an -er surname, I have one that sounds pretty similar to an -er surname (think [name_m]Roberts[/name_m]), and [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] doesn’t sound terribly ideal. I can’t seem to let all those -er names go, though–they’re so handsome! I think of your two options, [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] works better, because the syllable count is varied. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] almost sounds plodding because they’re both two syllables, both with emphasis on the first syllable, and both end in “er”. It feels quite redundant. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] sort of breaks that up, though, and it doesn’t seem quite so bad. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I feel your pain! My favorite girl’s name was [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], and then I married into the last name [name_f]Silvia[/name_f]. Sigh.
I think the double -er endings sound fine when said aloud. I wouldn’t worry about it, honestly.
I definitely wouldn’t put an -er name in the middle slot as well, though…

I think [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] “[name_m]Miller[/name_m]” sounds good together

I don’t think the double “er” sounds unpleasant to me at all. I definitely wouldn’t rule a name out based on this.

Having a fn and surname with the same or similar endings isn’t ideal. If you can find other names other than [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] that you love, I would use them in the first slot and choose the other two for mn’s. If you don’t find any others quite like these two, then go for it.

FYI - [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] was a famous playwright who was once married to actress [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] was a basketball player. I guess the similar endings didn’t hurt their prospects, did they? :slight_smile:

It’s not a big deal.

I don’t think its a big deal either. It might depend somewhat on the specific name though. I think [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] sounds perfectly fine, but [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] is slightly more awkward (but still not completely terrible). I think it’s because [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Miller[/name_m] both have the L sound in them in addition to the -er ending.

I think [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] sounds great. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] is a bit more awkward.

I agree with [name_u]Mischa[/name_u]. I thought of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] the playwright. and there’s someone famous named [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m].
I think it’s not big deal.
I also like [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Miller[/name_m].
Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

I have the same problem with our last name; it also ends with “er”. At first the thought of using a first name that ended in “er” was a huge turn off for me, but now I don’t really care. It totally depends on the first name you choose, but in general I wouldn’t worry about it. I agree with boyandgirl above; [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] “[name_m]Miller[/name_m]” is very handsome.

I’m OK with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m].

Where it might sound a little wonky, I think, would be if a name ordinarily used as a surname was used as a first name. Then it sounds like two surnames ending in -er:
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_m]Miller[/name_m]
[name_u]Carter[/name_u] [name_m]Miller[/name_m]
[name_m]Cooper[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m]
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] [name_m]Miller[/name_m].

Those seem a little off to me.

I have the same -er ending last name issue. I don’t really have any different advice to add, but it’s nice to know I am not alone in this dilemma, and neither are you! :slight_smile: