Last name Zimmerman is very limiting!

So my top name is:

[name]Levi[/name] [name]Jude[/name] …but hubby is not keen on it :frowning:

He likes [name]Jakob[/name] - which is just too common for me! For phonetical reason, I am limited to names that do not end in “n” or “s” or start with “z”. Sigh. Also, I would love an Irish name as I am very Irish, but none seem to fit or quite frankly are overused - like [name]Liam[/name]. I’ d like to avoid a name in the top 100 if I can help it.

Other ideas include: [name]Tate[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Drew[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name] ([name]Max[/name] too common), [name]Avery[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Carter[/name]…but I fear some are too trendy and cute and I really want a classic name that will stand up for an adult.

Names I love but sadly can’t use: [name]August[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Jonas[/name] & of course [name]Jakob[/name].

So, considering my style and “rules” lol…any ideas!

[name]Tate[/name]: I like [name]Tate[/name] a lot, especially as a middle name. I think [name]Tate[/name] [name]Maxfield[/name] Zimmerman is cool…

[name]Henry[/name]: [name]Henry[/name] is a favorite of mine, and I love it with Zimmerman!

[name]Drew[/name]: [name]Drew[/name] is a great nickname for [name]Andrew[/name], but [name]Andrew[/name] is too popular (definitely top 100), and [name]Drew[/name] is rather trendy.

[name]Milo[/name]: I think [name]Milo[/name] is great! [name]Milo[/name] [name]Henry[/name] Zimmerman has a nice ring to it!

[name]Leo[/name]: I love [name]Leo[/name], and think it’s a great alternative to [name]Liam[/name] in terms of sound. I really like [name]Leo[/name] [name]Maxwell[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] [name]Henry[/name] with Zimmerman.

[name]Maxwell[/name] ([name]Max[/name] too common): I like [name]Henry[/name], [name]Milo[/name], and [name]Leo[/name] better than [name]Maxwell[/name], but this isn’t my baby! (I think it’s a great name, but just prefer the others…) [name]Maxfield[/name] could be another “[name]Max[/name]” source for you.

[name]Avery[/name]: If you’re looking to avoid trendy, I’d stay away from [name]Avery[/name].

[name]Dexter[/name]: I think [name]Dexter[/name] is really handsome, but I think the others flow better with Zimmerman.

[name]Carter[/name]: If you’re avoiding trendy, I’d stay away from this, too.

[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name] (But only if you like alliteration!)

Irish names that meet your rules:

[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Gulliver[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Roan[/name] (I know it has an “n” ending, but I still think it works!)

Good luck, [name]Rainy[/name] [name]Day[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Levi[/name] [name]Jude[/name] is quite a stunner, I’m sorry that your husband isn’t keen. Would [name]Jude[/name] [name]Levi[/name] or just using one of the names (eg [name]Levi[/name] [name]Jakob[/name]) work for him?

I agree with you that [name]Jakob[/name] is too popular, but you make like some of its international variants: does [name]Jago[/name] (jay-go) appeal? There’s also Jacobus, Jacomus or possibly the Irish [name]Seamus[/name] (shay-mus) but they all have the forbidden ‘s’ ending.

I really like [name]Henry[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Maxwell[/name] from your list. You may like the Welsh name [name]Maxen[/name] or Macsen as another name that gives the nickname [name]Max[/name].

I study Medieval history and literature, mainly British though I dabble in Irish, so in my head, Irish names divided into three genres (though there are of course exceptions) - literature, saints and Gaelicizations (English names with a Gaelic spelling/form eg [name]Sean[/name] for [name]John[/name]). Perhaps some of the following may appeal:

Literature (I’m focussing particularly on the Ulster and Fenian Cycles):
Ailill (al-YIL)
D”ire ([name]DAW[/name]-ra)
Lugh ([name]LU[/name])
[name]Conall[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
Ferdia
Conchobar/[name]Conor[/name]
[name]Diarmuid[/name]/[name]Dermot[/name]

Saints:
[name]Patrick[/name]/P”draig (PAW-drig)
[name]Colm[/name]/[name]Columba[/name]/[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Jarlath[/name]
[name]Cathal[/name] (ka hal)
[name]Finbar[/name]
A lot of the other saints names end in ‘n’ eg [name]Brendan[/name], [name]Ciaran[/name]

Gaelicizations:
[name]Alastar[/name] ([name]Alexander[/name])
[name]Seoirse[/name] ([name]George[/name]) (SHOR sha)
Anra” ([name]Henry[/name])
[name]Bearnard[/name] ([name]Bernard[/name])
Cri”st”ir ([name]Christopher[/name])
[name]Gofraidh[/name] ([name]Godfrey[/name])
Iobhar ([name]Ivor[/name])
[name]Pierce[/name] ([name]Piers[/name]/[name]Peter[/name])

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I think [name]Tate[/name] is fantastic - a very classic name and the crispness of it goes very well with Zimmerman.