Last Names!

My husband and I both have long, silent-letter-ridden last names. We have no real familial attachments. I didn’t change my name when we married for work reasons, but now… we’ve talked about making a new last name for our own family!

The problem is my first name is three-syllables, and his is one.

My name is pronounced as “Arena [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]”, his is “[name_u]Bryce[/name_u] [name_m]Aaron[/name_m]”. Whatever goes with my name seems to be difficult to say with his, and vice versa. I like the name [name_m]King[/name_m], [name_m]Knight[/name_m], [name_u]Wilde[/name_u], and [name_u]Grey[/name_u]… but they sound odd with his one-syllable first name. [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u], Knightly, I enjoy both these names, but they become silly with my full name.

I’d love for a last name after an author (hence [name_u]Wilde[/name_u]) or something to that effect. “[name_u]Greyson[/name_u]” could work. Any suggestions?

It’s odd because most people are looking for first and middle names, not last :smile:

Hampton
[name_u]Miller[/name_u]
[name_u]Anderson[/name_u]
[name_u]Hobson[/name_u]
[name_m]Herron[/name_m]
[name_m]Howell[/name_m]
[name_m]Dixon[/name_m]
[name_m]Holt[/name_m]
Guye
Tipton
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]
[name_u]Holden[/name_u]
[name_u]Cooper[/name_u]
Purdy
[name_u]Camden[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
Sontag
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
[name_m]Kessler[/name_m]
[name_m]Watson[/name_m]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Walker[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_m]Roberts[/name_m]
[name_m]Olivier[/name_m]
Hudspeth
[name_m]Bramwell[/name_m]
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillips[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Weston[/name_m]
Westwood
[name_m]Farris[/name_m]

1 Like

Dickens or Dickenson
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
Ingalls or [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_m]Orwell[/name_m]
[name_m]Bradbury[/name_m]
[name_u]Frost[/name_u]
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]

1 Like

Hemingway
[name_u]Calloway[/name_u]
[name_u]Colby[/name_u]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Kaiser[/name_m]
[name_u]Palmer[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_m]Fenton[/name_m]
[name_m]Lawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvard[/name_m]
[name_m]Carver[/name_m]
[name_m]Johnson[/name_m]
[name_m]Williams[/name_m]
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]
Tolman
[name_m]Gable[/name_m]
[name_u]Grady[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_m]Randall[/name_m]
Ridgeway
[name_m]Irving[/name_m]
[name_m]Nielson[/name_m]

1 Like

Definitely a two-syllable name, to balance out your long name and his short name. I think surnames ending in -er sound good with your names. In my opinion the best suggestions so far are:

Miller
[name_u]Cooper[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Walker[/name_u]
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_m]Roberts[/name_m]
[name_m]Watson[/name_m]
[name_u]Camden[/name_u]
[name_m]Weston[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillips[/name_m]

I’m hesitant on names like [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] or [name_m]Orwell[/name_m] because it’s so obvious. Definitely not [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]. The good thing is that there are so many authors out there, you could choose almost any name and tell people it’s from X author.

I love your reasoning for two-syllables, and I agree -er names sound great!

I love [name_m]Watson[/name_m]. He’s hesitant on it, because he knows I love [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Watson[/name_m]. Sadly, [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] and [name_m]Orwell[/name_m] are a tad ‘obvious’.

I wish I got to pick my own last name! How awesome!

My favorite last name has always been [name_m]Knight[/name_m]. It’s so regal. I do agree, however, it’s not ideal with your full name (which is gorgeous, by the way! Arena [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] sounds fantastic). I like [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m], Hawkinge (pronounced Hawking), and Ashdown. They’re all pretty pretentious, but beautiful nevertheless.

I like [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Watson[/name_m] too! I love [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m]. I would suggest [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Conan[/name_m], [name_m]Doyle[/name_m], and especially [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] for that reason.

Hope this helped! Good luck!