Lazar?

I was at a picnic yesterday and the topic of names for my baby came up. I am always hesitant to share with people irl since DH and I tend to choose names that are not very common where we live. (Central PA)

I ended up spilling the only boys name combo that we like which is [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Lazar[/name], and people didnt think I was serious with the “[name]Lazar[/name]” part…I guess because it sounds like laser, I am not sure. Because they are friends they were not rude persay, and I know [name]Elihu[/name] was hard for a lot of people to come to terms with (except my Phish head friends, they thought it was cool, lol ) . A lot of them knew we liked [name]Peregrine[/name] (it was going to be [name]Bronwen[/name]'s name if she was a boy…[name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Silas[/name]. But Silasno longer fits withour mn theme we have going)

Obviously, [name]Andy[/name] and I are going to use it if we have a boy and feel the name suits him…but just curious to what you think of [name]Lazar[/name] as a middle name.

(And the only [name]Lazar[/name]'s I know of are in Fiddler on the Roof and the Kids Are Alright…so I tend to think the average person if they are not able to recall those characters, are in general clueless to this Hebrew name and instead think of laser beams and laser tag)

I think it has a really cool sound! Plus, it would be a middle name, so I think it works great! [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Lazar[/name] sounds really nice too.

Are you saying it LA-zar or la-ZAR? The ones I know say it more like l’ZAR, and it sounds less like laser.

I’ve known Lazars before but I’m a Jewish person who grew up in a heavily Jewish/Russian area of [name]Philadelphia[/name]. Hello Pennsylvania, by the way! I miss PA like hell sometimes… anyway… I like it a lot but I think most people are more familiar with [name]Lazarus[/name] or [name]Eleazer[/name]? I don’t know how many people actually are familiar with [name]Eleazer[/name] though, honestly, in a mainstream sense.

I like [name]Lazar[/name] as in Laser! (love it from The Kids Are Alright) I think it’s a great middle name. [name]Lazarus[/name] is great, too, but has a totally different feel. I even think [name]Lazar[/name] [name]Peregrine[/name] would work…

Your kids have lovely names so far - don’t worry what your friends say, they’ll love your new son and get used to his name : )

[name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Lazar[/name] is really cool! My high school chemistry teacher’s surname was [name]Lazar[/name], so I’m quite familiar with it, but since he was from [name]India[/name], not [name]Israel[/name], I find myself surprised to see it not on an [name]Indian[/name] little boy. [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Lazar[/name] is really cool, though, and I do like it a lot with your sibset! For some reason, not sure if this matters or not, but [name]Lazar[/name] invariably reminds me of “bazaar”, like a Middle Eastern market. haha. Not sure why.

(I have to say, I can’t believe you’re in PA, too, I hope I someday stumble west and come upon your wonderfully named children! tehehe. :))

I live near Harrisburg, so maybe some day we will meet. :slight_smile: I say it like laser, which I seeit can also be said like “lah-zar” and “laz-er”…any pn thoughts? I get annoyed when people say names the way they like rather than the real way because they think it sounds nicer. I do not want to be one of those people! Again, the only times I have heard the name spoken were in the movies (well, Fiddler on the Roof is technically a musical) I mentioned above. I do not know many people who are Jewish, so my knowledge is limited to self research for better or worse.
It also fits as far as our “middle name” themesfor our boys go so that has me very excited. Which is hard to stick with after several kids!
(Begins with the letter E or L, Hebrew, chosen for meaning)

Stripedsocks, myhusband works and also goes to school in[name]Philly[/name] (just started at LaSalle) small world!

[name]Ashley[/name], I am 1/8 American [name]Indian[/name], however only my oldest dd has my olive skinned, brown eyed, dark hair. The boys are both blond haired, blue eyed, fair skinned (well [name]Linus[/name] will tan, but [name]Seb[/name], not so much) and Vio is fair skinned, freckled, with a head of red curly hair! When we chose [name]Sebastian[/name]'s name whilehe was still in utero, I pictured him looking more like me. [name]Andy[/name]'s genes seem to be very strong though, which is why I want to wait to see the looks of the baby beforecommiting to a name.

[name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Lazar[/name] is very handsome. I really like it. I’ve never heard [name]Lazar[/name] pronounced like laser, l’ve always heard luh-zar.

I used to work in the Harrisburg area! lol. I’m much farther east now, though. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I don’t think the culture of [name]Lazar[/name] matters too much–the Mr. [name]Lazar[/name] (lah-ZAHR) I knew had the FN [name]Solomon[/name], so he really didn’t even sound like he had a very [name]Indian[/name] name, haha. I can picture a [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Lazar[/name] (lah-ZAR or [name]LAY[/name]-ser) fitting someone of your husband’s coloring, or yours. I think it could really go either way.

It’s not really a Hebrew name itself as much as its a Russian variant of the Hebrew name [name]Eleazer[/name] or [name]El[/name]'azar. The pronunciation I am used to is not like laser that much at all, except when Anglophones read it. http://www.hearnames.com/pronunciations/russian-names/russian-boy-names/lazar.html this is a link that sounds pretty familiar. A lot of Yiddish/Hebrew names have accent on the second syllable.

[name]Just[/name] to confuse matters, sorry, a lot of the names in Fiddler on the Roof aren’t directly Hebrew. [name]Tevye[/name] is a Yiddish form of the Hebrew Toviyyah which is usually translated into English as [name]Tobiah[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name].

Stripedsocks,Thank you for your insight! You know more about this than me, I will check out the link…on my nook now with Vio curled up beside me so if there is sound I need to wait until tomorrow.

And that totally makes sense about the Russian forms of the names, forgot it was set in [name]Russia[/name]. (Again, very sad that any Jewish culture I know about comes mainly from that production…I did not grow up in the most diverse area and went to college in a small western NY town…need to put that on my mental list of things to do for the kids. Expose them to many other cultures in person )

hug I didn’t mean it in a snotty way, I was just thinking its actually kind of helpful for me as I look them up myself to search more languages than just Hebrew.

I think a lot of namenerds are in the same position you are as far as liking some names from languages with which they don’t have much personal experience. I have that all the time, especially with my husband’s fondness for Gaelic and Welsh! I don’t know poo-poo about Welsh aside from what I’ve researched online. :slight_smile:

No worries, you enlightened me.It takes a lot to offend me, lol. If I thought I knew all I could about the name I would not have asked for help, ha ha…figure there are people on here who know a lot more then me on names that are specific to their own culture. :wink: