Leah

My sister decided to name her new baby girl, [name]Leah[/name] [name]Ireland[/name]. While I love the name [name]Leah[/name], I’m honestly not crazy about [name]Ireland[/name]. What does everyone else think about the name [name]Ireland[/name]?

I find giving people place names a bit odd in general, even the popular [name]India[/name] and Shakespearean (for a boy) [name]Paris[/name] … But she has used it as a mn, and [name]Ireland[/name] is a lovely place, and a more unusual place name, and I love [name]Leah[/name] … so I think it’s not too bad.

There are some pretty names which mean places, though - [name]Ginevra[/name] for [name]Geneva[/name] and [name]Venetia[/name] for [name]Venice[/name], for example.

Is your sister or her SO Irish? Have they ever been to [name]Ireland[/name] or hope to go someday? That’s sort of how I feel about names like [name]Ireland[/name] (is it just a fancy dream or does it have substantial meaning to either parent), but it’s a middle name, I’m not too upset by it (I’m neither Irish nor plan to visit [name]Ireland[/name] someday). I used to consider the name [name]Paris[/name]. I should probably at least go there first and see if it’s worth overcoming the [name]Hilton[/name] obstacle (or the [name]Jackson[/name] or the [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls). I think [name]Ireland[/name] is an interesting name for a middle name that may have more meaning than something you might consider more tasteful.

[name]Ireland[/name] does hold significance to both my sister and her husband. They honeymooned in [name]Ireland[/name]. Our grandmother grew up there, and we still have relatives that reside there. We do not know them personally, but our heritage is definitely rooted in [name]Ireland[/name]. I think the name [name]Ireland[/name] is pretty, but definitely not my taste.

I like using places as names. I like it but as a name I think it sounds a bit hard. My oldest daughter’s mn is [name]Berlin[/name] (lin-reminds me of [name]Lynn[/name]). I’ve never been there and neither has my husband. We liked the way it sounded, the fact it was not in any of the baby books, and the fact that the wall came down in our lifetime are the factors that led us to choose it. I also like [name]London[/name], for a first or middle name but has become more popular and is used name on a kids show. [name]Paris[/name] is a nice name. I remember as young teenager liking this name but honestly I think it carries to much of a bad vibe thanks to Ms. [name]Hilton[/name]. I think in some time when she has faded from the limelight it will be resurrected.

I’m in [name]LOVE[/name] with [name]Leah[/name] (and all spellings of it) right now.

[name]Love[/name] it! [name]Leah[/name] [name]Ireland[/name] is beautiful!

[name]Berlin[/name] is a lovely place (just thought I’d reassure you).

I love [name]Leah[/name], and surprisingly (to myself more than anything), I like [name]Ireland[/name] too. I knew a girl whose surname was [name]Ireland[/name] and I think it has a lovely sound. Especially if, as another poster said, your sister had some special connection to [name]Ireland[/name].

Thanks Twinkle as of now she likes it too. She doesn’t however like the fact she can never find her first name ([name]Kira[/name]) on pencils, cups, necklaces and any other personalized novelty. Too bad we broke the place name middle name with her sister :frowning:

I think both names are gorgeous (although I dislike [name]Leah[/name]'s popularity), but I’m not a big fan of them used together. I usually dislike combos where the first name ends in a vowel sound and the middle name starts with one.

[name]Leah[/name] [name]Ireland[/name] is a beautiful name! One of the [name]Baldwin[/name] brothers has a daughter named [name]Ireland[/name], I’ve always thought it was gorgeous. And I much prefer it over some other location names (such as [name]Bronx[/name], [name]Brooklyn[/name], [name]Asia[/name], [name]China[/name], etc.)

and it could be worse, a family had quintuplets and one of their daughters either has the first or middle name of Irelyn… just too made up and too similar to the country for my liking, but all their kids have unique names with even more unique spellings.

I really like [name]Leah[/name] [name]Ireland[/name]. I think that most place names (like [name]Ireland[/name]) are best as a middle name, and its extra special since it has so much significance :slight_smile: I also think that [name]Leah[/name] [name]Ireland[/name] flows beautifully :slight_smile:

Great name, [name]IMO[/name]! I used to know a little girl named [name]Ireland[/name], she must be about 8 years old now. [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Leah[/name]. :slight_smile: