Leif or Noah for our baby boy?!

My husband and I are expecting our first on [name]August[/name] 16 and are so torn over whether to name our boy [name]Noah[/name] or [name]Leif[/name]. We both love [name]Noah[/name], but then found out it was in the top 10 and don’t want our son to be one of many kids in his class with the same name. We also really like [name]Leif[/name], but are not sure if this is going too far in the other direction. We considered [name]Noah[/name] with [name]Leif[/name] as the middle name, but now I just keep hearing “no relief” when I say them together! I am also not sure if [name]Leif[/name] has any connotations that we don’t know about since it is a popular Scandinavian name and we have never been to that part of the world or even met anyone with the name… HELP! :o)

By the way - we live in NYC and so there are all sorts of names flying around and more goes than say where we grew up…:o)

Give him the name you [name]LOVE[/name] and don’t worry about popularity they’re both great names.

I think [name]Leif[/name] is a cool name. I’ve liked it ever since I learned about [name]Leif[/name] [name]Erikson[/name] in elementary school. It’s very identifiably Scandinavian, though. [name]Do[/name] you have a Scandinavian last name? Maybe that’s not important to you, but I’m a little picky about names matching that way. I think it would be a little strange to pair a name like [name]Leif[/name] with, say, a very Italian-sounding last name. Also, I always pronounce that name Layf. I could be wrong on that.

If you love [name]Noah[/name] that is the name you should go with, yes it is popular, but I think it is one of those names that it pretty widely spread as in not too densely populated in one particular area.

remember those lists are for ALL babies that were born in 2009.

[name]Hi[/name] - Our last name is [name]Rosen[/name]…what do you think paired with that? It can be pronounced Layf or [name]Leaf[/name]…I think we would go with “leaf”…[/quote]

Well, I was saying the full name aloud and my husband looked up and said, “Who’s [name]Lee[/name] Frozen?” (Sorry.) So, based on sound alone, I vote for [name]Noah[/name]. I think it flows quite well with your last name. The repetitive long o sound is fun to say. I know [name]Noah[/name] is supposed to be really popular, but I only know one little boy by that name. [name]Hope[/name] that helps and not hurts.

[name]Hi[/name] - Our last name is [name]Rosen[/name]…what do you think paired with that? It can be pronounced Layf or [name]Leaf[/name]…I think we would go with “leaf”…[/quote]

Well, I was saying the full name aloud and my husband looked up and said, “Who’s [name]Lee[/name] Frozen?” (Sorry.) So, based on sound alone, I vote for [name]Noah[/name]. I think it flows quite well with your last name. The repetitive long o sound is fun to say. I know [name]Noah[/name] is supposed to be really popular, but I only know one little boy by that name. [name]Hope[/name] that helps and not hurts.[/quote]
That actually made me laugh out loud. :o) Thanks for the advice - it really helped!! :o)

I far prefer [name]Leif[/name] over [name]Noah[/name]. However, after reading further [name]Leif[/name] may not be the best match with your last name. Here are some other boys names that you might like:

[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Casper[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Piers[/name]
[name]Sander[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Anders[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Greger[/name]

Thank you everyone for the input! I would love to continue to hear more! Thanks!

Let us know if you’ve had your baby and what you decided on!

Personally I prefer [name]Leif[/name] as well but both are great. It turns out that in New [name]York[/name] [name]Noah[/name] was number 20 last year. You can look this info up at the SSA website Popular Baby Names. Personally I grew up with a name #26 nationally, but #142 in my state and I didn’t know anyone with my name growing up.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Definitely [name]Noah[/name]! [name]Noah[/name] [name]Rosen[/name] sounds great…any mn yet?

I prefer [name]Leif[/name] over [name]Noah[/name] and honestly, I don’t think [name]Leif[/name] is going in another direction. They look good together. [name]IMO[/name], they’d make a good sibset. A brother named [name]Noah[/name] would keep a [name]Leif[/name] (and you) grounded. [name]Leif[/name] and [name]Noah[/name]. Makes me think of the forest and cabins.

I prefer the pronunciation [layf]. I think it also sounds best with your last name. Is it Row-sen (as in, Frozen) or Rah-sen (more like [name]Rosalyn[/name])?

I prefer [name]Leif[/name]. [name]Noah[/name] sounds like a moaned version of “no”, and is way too popular.

[name]Noah[/name] [name]Rosen[/name] looks and sounds better than [name]Leif[/name] [name]Rosen[/name] so that would be my choice. Here are some other names to consider.

[name]Eli[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Asher[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Seth[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Jeremiah[/name] [name]Rosen[/name]