Leighton, Layton, Leyton--which do you prefer?

Leighton! [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] was a couple name on One Tree [name_m]Hill[/name_m].

Thanks, everyone, for the replies! [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is the way I instinctually want to spell it because it’s the way I’ve seen it spelled most often, but I also associate it with [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] Meester, so I go back and forth on how feminine it is. I’m glad to see that most people think it’s masculine. [name_m]Layton[/name_m] would probably be my second choice. It looks a bit more masculine to me, but not a ton, and does avoid the potential ‘lee-ton’ mispronunciation. I’ll have to think about it a bit more, but I appreciate all the responses!

2 Likes

Layton is my favorite spelling. [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] feels kinda trendy to me.

1 Like

I know one in real life is [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]. I like that spelling but I do instinctually say [name_u]Lee[/name_u]- ton (and slightly prefer that pronunciation) If you want the [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-ton pronunciation, I think [name_m]Layton[/name_m] would be easier.

2 Likes

I like the look of [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] the best, but would instinctively pronounce it as [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ton. I like [name_m]Leyton[/name_m] and [name_m]Layton[/name_m] equally.

1 Like

For me, it depends on gender.

For a girl, I like [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] better. For a boy, I like [name_m]Layton[/name_m] better.

2 Likes

I would say [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]!

Personally, I’ve never heard of any of those people with the name.

That’s kind of how I am, I think. The more I think about it, the more I lean toward [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] for a girl and [name_m]Layton[/name_m] for a boy.

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Layton[/name_m] (and ime that’s the most common), followed by [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]. [name_m]Leyton[/name_m]’s ok but not intuitive so it’d be easier to use one of the others.

Oh wow in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] people like their politicians!?

1 Like

Hahaha, not that often! [name_m]Jack[/name_m] was special :slight_smile:

This name is on my list for boys as [name_m]Lleyton[/name_m], (like [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] with two L’s) . That’s my favorite spelling. If that doesn’t help, then I would say [name_m]Layton[/name_m] is nice too. I think [name_m]Layton[/name_m] is a name that equally sounds feminine and masculine.

I’ve never seen it spelled with two Ls before. That’s interesting! I feel like people would get so confused where I’m from with that spelling. haha [name_f]My[/name_f] first name is common, but the spelling is only a little uncommon and people still get confused.

I had the same thought! haha

Leighton is my preference, then [name_m]Layton[/name_m].

It’s not too feminine but, to me, for some reason [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is a more feminine spelling so I would go with [name_m]Layton[/name_m].