Leighton

[name]Hi[/name] nameberries:

What do you think of the name [name]Leighton[/name] for a girl? nn either Leighty,Leity, Ladie or Ladey? which nn do you prefer? any other suggestions for nicknames? Thank you in advance!

I love it! I grew up with a boy named [name]Leighton[/name] and never thought of it as a girl’s name until [name]Leighton[/name] Meester - the actress. I did always think his name was a little feminine sounding for a boy though.

It used to be on my list, but I took it off because I was worried about people knowing how to spell/pronounce it. I’ve spent my whole life telling people how to say and spell my name, and I don’t want to do that to my kids.

I like it, but the spelling will probably be confusing. When I first saw the name on [name]Leighton[/name] Meester, I thought it was prn [name]LEE[/name]-tuhn. But apparently not.

I do like it, but I’m afraid it sounds rather masculine as well. You will probably need to balance it out with a very feminine middle name. Lady is a bit of a strange nn, although it is the natural one. Hmmm…

I loved the name for a girl until I realized it was supposed to be prn [name]Lay[/name]-ton, and not [name]Lee[/name]-ton.

Been crossed of my list since. But if you like the prn of [name]Lay[/name]-ton then use it! It’s a nice name

Yes I prefer the pronunciation [name]Lay[/name]-ton instead of [name]Lee[/name]- ton.too masculine?

Not at all. I had liked the nn [name]Leigh[/name], but that wouldn’t really work with the pronunciation of [name]Lay[/name]-ton. :stuck_out_tongue:

But the lay-ton pronunciation is fine for a girl.

I love the name [name]Leighton[/name], I just don’t care for the nicknames (Lady, Leity, etc). It would be more a stretch, but I’d be tempted to use [name]Leila[/name] (lay-la) or [name]Leina[/name] (lay-na) as a nn.

[name]Leighton[/name] is great for a girl, no preference on nn. yet but pronunciation like [name]LAY[/name]-ton.

My cousin has a little girl named [name]Leighton[/name]. I don’t think they use a nickname for her. If you wanted to use a nickname, I think Leighty would be cute. Ley would be another option.

Honestly, I’d assume you were a big Gossip Girl fan - and I’ve never even watched that show. I’m not very fond of the name myself, but it’s not terrible.

Nope never seen gossip girl. I dint watch tv very often…but I have heard of the show.

I’ve only ever heard of male Leightons (I’m not familiar with this female celeb.) I usually don’t like boy names on girls (or maybe this qualifies as a unisex name?) [name]Leighton[/name] on a girl sounds a little preppy for my tastes, but I don’t dislike it. In fact, I think it’s kinda cool. I’ve only heard it pronounced [name]LAY[/name]-ton, but I could see people saying [name]LEE[/name]-ton. I prefer it for a boy, but I can see it working for a girl.

In [name]Canada[/name], [name]Leighton[/name] [name]Barrett[/name] was a male fashion designer and pronounced it “[name]Lay[/name]-tun”. It’s because of this association that it’s always been a male name for me. It reminds me of a upper class British gentleman who lives in his country manor with lots of dogs and horses! Since I don’t really watch alot of TV, [name]Leighton[/name] Meester is not an issue. Like many of the TV stars of today, no one will probably remember her in a decade. [name]Leighton[/name] is a great name so if you love it, choose it!