Lena pronunciation

See the results of this poll: How would you pronounce Lena?

Respondents: 87 (This poll is closed)

• Leh-na (rhymes with Jenna) : 15 (17%)
  • Lee-na : 56 (64%)
  • Lay-na : 15 (17%)
  • Other: 1 (1%)

I voted for [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na
I’m from the U.S.

I am from the Northeastern US, and my initial pronunciation is [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na. I would not be surprised for it to be corrected to [name_m]Len[/name_m]-a (short e sound as in [name_m]Lenny[/name_m]), but it would not be my first guess.

edit: spelling

I’m from the US as well. My first instinct is [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na, but I also know of girls named [name_f]Elena[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lena[/name_f] [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-na. I think it’s a great name and works either way.

I voted [name_u]Lee[/name_u]- na and i’m from Australia :slight_smile:

It rhymes with [name_f]Tina[/name_f]

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na

I’ve heard [name_f]Elena[/name_f] pronounced in different ways but not [name_f]Lena[/name_f].

[name_m]Lay[/name_m]-na. I’m east coast US. [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is one of my favorite names. Honestly, it wasn’t until I started posting it on Nameberry that I’d ever even heard anyone pronounce it [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na, but apparently that’s what most people on here seem to use. I always think of [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na as [name_f]Lina[/name_f] and [name_f]Lena[/name_f] as [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-na. Maybe it’s because I’ve always seen it as deriving from names that end in -lena like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] which are both pronounce lay-na.

I’m from [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and pronounce it [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na. I’ve never heard it pronounced any other way.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] is [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]-a and [name_f]Helena[/name_f] is huh-lay-nah to me though.

Leh-na or [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-na. I’m in the UK ([name_f]England[/name_f]).

I vote for leh-na but I’m from [name_u]Brazil[/name_u] so… haha

This is how I’d pronounce it: http://forvo.com/search/Lena/it/

I say both [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-na and [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-na. To me [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-na is [name_f]Lena[/name_f] as a given name and [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-na is when [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is a nickname for [name_f]Elena[/name_f] or [name_f]Helena[/name_f]. I’m in the US.

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na. But I wouldn’t be surprised to be corrected by someone and told it’s pronounced lay-na. I’m in the U.S. and I think [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na is the expected pronunciation.

I voted [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-nuh, but it’s a bit like LAIR-nuh with a less pronounced R sound; I’m English.

I vote [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na, although I’d be hesitant to pronounce it [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-na too.

Growing up I LOVED The Sisterhood of the Traveling pants books and movies. One of the girls was [name_f]Lena[/name_f] pronounced Leh-na, she was Greek. I assumed that was the way it was pronounced until I met a [name_f]Lena[/name_f] in college and she pronounces it [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-na. I live and attend college in Southeastern US.

Either [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-na or LEH-na (I know a Polish woman with the name who pronounces it this way). I’m in the UK.

Thank you for all the votes and replies! I’m gaining a lot of insight on this name before I put it on the birth certificate :slight_smile:

I say it “leh-na.” I live in the US, but I also speak Spanish as a native language. For me, [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is the nickname for [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (eh-leh-na), so I pronounce it similarly.