Lena vs Lina - poll included

See the results of this poll: Lina vs Lena

Respondents: 34 (This poll is closed)

• Lina: 13 (38%)
  • Lena: 21 (62%)

Although I agree it may be mispronounced, I like the [name]Lena[/name] spelling.

Post has been deleted

I like the name [name]Lena[/name] as well and would spell it [name]Lena[/name], pronouncing it [name]Lee[/name]-na. I just don’t like how it looks with the i, but I am also not too concerned if someone says “lay-na” and having to correct them. I think it is because I like [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Helena[/name] as well. I would pronounce those with a “lay-na”, but [name]Lena[/name] just looks better with an E, like it relates to the root name and not misspelled. [name]Lina[/name], I think, might be ok if the name you imagine it shortened from was a name that ends in -lina, like [name]Carolina[/name]. I’m not sure it really matters, but I relate [name]Lena[/name] to [name]Helena[/name], so it stands with the E, not the I.

And some people (not me) say [name]Helena[/name] He-lay-na.

I’d favor [name]Lena[/name] because I’d be tempted to say [name]Lina[/name] as [name]Linna[/name] (short I).

My name is [name]Lina[/name]! I went through a short period where I wished that my name was [name]Lena[/name] but afterward, I liked [name]Lina[/name] better. [name]Lina[/name] is spelled properly and is the traditional spelling in European countries while [name]Lena[/name] is the more popular spelling in [name]America[/name], I think. I’ve never been called Lie-nah or [name]Lyn[/name]-ah either, whereas I think [name]Lena[/name] would have a larger chance at being called [name]Lay[/name]-na.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Lena[/name] to [name]Lina[/name], but I’m biased as it’s the name of my kitten. :wink: I got it from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and I loved how in the movie [name]Lena[/name]'s Greek family prounouced it [name]Lay[/name]-nuh, but my sister wouldn’t go for that, so [name]Lee[/name]-nuh it is. Either pronounciation works for me.

Post has been deleted

I distinctly prefer [name]Lina[/name]. It looks much sleeker and prettier, in my opinion.

I’ve known two [name]Linas[/name] (living in [name]Canada[/name]), who both spell it this way–I’ve never encountered a [name]Lena[/name].