Leora

This may seem like an odd thread, but I’m basically offering this name up…not that I own it or anything.

It’s a beautiful name, but it’s too unique for me. I’m more comfortable naming a daughter a traditional name that is easy to spell and pronounce.

Yesterday I saw a quote by an author with this name, so I’ve never heard it in person. According to my internet research, it’s either pronounced [name]Lay[/name]-ohr-uh or [name]Lee[/name]-ohr-uh. (My instinct is to prounce it [name]Lee[/name]-ohr-uh.)

It hasn’t been in the top 1000 names of the U.S. Social Security Index of baby names since 1950, so it would certainly work well for the current trend of unusual names.

Please, name your daughters [name]Leora[/name] for me. :smiley:

And since this is a thread in a discussion forum, what do you all think of this name?

I love it! I think I’d me more likely to use [name]Leona[/name] though. But [name]Leora[/name] is certainly a name I’ll make note of… I can see it growing on me! Thanks!

This is a little bit too “great gramma” for me…
[name]Leona[/name] too…sorry but
Blech!

I’d prefer [name]Lenore[/name] myself, or [name]Elora[/name].

[name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Leora[/name]! [name]Love[/name] [name]Liora[/name] too. And [name]Leona[/name] and [name]Lenora[/name] as well. I’ve been dead set on using [name]Leo[/name] on a boy to honor a great-grandma [name]Leona[/name] on my hubby’s side, but I think I’ll add [name]Leona[/name] to my girls list as well.

I really love this name. It falls into the same category as [name]Lenore[/name], [name]Lenora[/name], and [name]Leonora[/name] for me. I love the sound of these names - I think I have a thing for the softer “L” sound. I’d love to meet a little girl with this name or something similar. I also tend to have more traditional taste in names though so it’s unlikely something I would actually use.

I think its pretty! But I love [name]Le[/name] names. Haha.

I think it so gorgeous and unique. It is soft and feminine. A must for me.

It is very pretty! For some reason I prefer other similar names, like [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Lenora[/name], [name]Elora[/name], [name]Leona[/name], and [name]Leonie[/name] personally. It is very pretty, though.

[name]Leora[/name] is on my baby name list actually. And my husband doesn’t hate it, which hardly ever happens.

[name]Leora[/name] is a pretty traditional name, it’s usual critiques I hear are how old-fashioned it is. And it is easy to pronounce. So I’m a bit confused by that. The other spelling that’s common is [name]Liora[/name] and that one I could see being a bit tricky but how is [name]Leora[/name], said lee-or-ah, complicated?

I prefer it to [name]Leona[/name] and [name]Leonie[/name], etc. Well, admittedly [name]Leonie[/name] would never be an option for us, it rhymes with our last name in an appalling way.

I prefer [name]Liora[/name], which is Hebrew for light. [name]Both[/name] Lior and [name]Liora[/name] are fairly common names in [name]Israel[/name].
I prefer [name]Leonora[/name] to [name]Leona[/name], although I knew a wonderful editor named [name]Leona[/name]. But then I like operatic names…

Well, I guess I think of traditional names as ones steadily in U.S. SSA baby name index. Basically names that some call dated, but are common without being trendy. And names that are typically familiar to most people. I had never previously heard of [name]Leora[/name]. Could be the area that I’m from, since names can range in use based on locale.

[name]Laura[/name] is the name I’m more comfortable with, as far as tradition and ease of use. (During my research on the name, I saw a couple of women with the name say that people mispronounce and misspell the name.) And [name]Leora[/name] seems to me a name that’s close to [name]Laura[/name], but so much prettier. I don’t know. Maybe I will end up using it, but I’ve never been particularly brave with uncommon names and, as I mentioned previously, this name hasn’t been in the U.S. SSA baby name index (of 1000 names) since 1950.

I didn’t know that the name was common in [name]Israel[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though it’s common there with a different spelling, that actually makes me like the name even more.

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Just[/name] wanted to say that I really like the name [name]Leora[/name]. But I could not use it. It belongs to my adorable sister in law was born in the same year as me - 1987.

Her name is [name]Leora[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Jane[/name] Surname.

I think it has a lot of old world charm. And is familiar as it sounds like [name]Laura[/name]. Very pretty.

I also love [name]Leonie[/name] (my Grandmothers name). To me it sounds very sunshiney and yellow and happy. And I have a rabbit named [name]Eleanore[/name]. :slight_smile:

I think it is a pretty name.
I have [name]Lenorah[/name] on my mn list.