Less common spellings for common names

This question is for those of you who have traditional names that are spelled a less common way or those of you close with someone else who does. What is it like? Do you wish your parents named you with the traditional spelling or do you like your name the way it is? These are the names that I really like that are not spelled traditionally.

Kelsea
Maia
Caitlin
Silvia

ava as eva(more common now though!)
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] as emilie
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] as Hana(all forms of this are common)
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] as Sofiah
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] as Abygail(nicknames in there!)
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] as Elenor/Elanor
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] as [name_f]Khloe[/name_f]
[name_u]Aria[/name_u] as [name_u]Arya[/name_u]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as [name_f]Elly[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] as [name_f]Nataly[/name_f]

thats all i have as of rn <3

My full name is spelled traditionally however my nickname (that I use 98% of the time) is spelled in an untraditional way and it is always misspelled when someone I donā€™t know uses it (or even people I know, I donā€™t think my grandmother has ever spelled it the same way twice)
Itā€™s never really bothered me personally. Maybe Iā€™d feel different if it was my legal name, but Iā€™ve never really cared.

I donā€™t feel like your name selections would cause too much problems in day to day life, they still seem like pretty acceptable and familiar spellings all it would take is saying something like ā€˜Silvia with an iā€™ or something like that

1 Like

Jane - Jayne
Natalie - Nathalie
Hailey - Haylee, Hali, Hailie, Hayleigh
Ashely - Ashlee, Ashleigh
Kate - Cait, Cate
Claire - Clare
Zoe - Zoie
Allison - Alisyn
Imogen - Imegyn
Isabelle - Isobel
Sarah - Sera

Made some of those up, but it works!

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is majority spelling, but I have heard people complain that an unexpected spelling can be inconvenient. However, other than [name_f]Kelsea[/name_f] (which I have never seen before but can see why you like it! Looks more feminine than [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u] to me) the ones on your list seem well-established. I know a [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] from Switzerland so I assumed it was the ā€œtraditionalā€
spelling in her country. None of the spellings on your list look ā€œmade upā€ to me.

1 Like

I know a girl named M3gh@nn, and most people had no trouble pronouncing it (except our D&T teacher who said it a different way every time). I donā€™t know of any situations where spelling was needed but I assume ā€˜Megan with a h and two nā€™sā€™ would suffice. Most of the time she goes by [name_f]Meg[/name_f] which makes things easier.

1 Like

I knew an Ellenna pronounced like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and she had it mispelled and pronounced like Elena(ell-ay-nuh) occasionally

I have the most common spelling of my nickname but my full name is spelled differently, and the original spelling is super popular. Itā€™sā€¦ fine? I guess? I prefer my spelling of the name because I think it looks prettier but it has absolutely no impact on how I view the ā€œuniquenessā€ of my name, and I still canā€™t stand my name due to its popularity. I donā€™t wish my parents had used the original spelling though because, like I said, I prefer my way.

FWIW, [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_f]Maia[/name_f], and [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] are all traditional spellings. [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] is the traditional Irish spelling, [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is the traditional [name_m]Roman[/name_m] spelling, even though [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is more common in [name_f]English[/name_f] now, and [name_f]Maia[/name_f] is the traditional Greek spelling, and has a completely different origin than the Hebrew [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. Theyā€™re all less common but still just as, if not more, traditional!

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is constantly misspelled and it drives me bananas !
I am [name_f]Alana[/name_f] but have seen and know [name_f]Alanna[/name_f] , [name_f]Alannah[/name_f] , [name_f]Alanah[/name_f] ,

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this is helpful but my name is [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and when I was younger I was so upset about having such a common name I insisted on spelling it Emiliie for a while. I really liked having to ā€œcorrectā€ peopleā€™s spelling because I felt it made me more unique and special. But that didnā€™t last forever, so I canā€™t say what it would be like to actually have that

Iā€™m an interesting case. My name is spelt the traditional way, but itā€™s significantly less common. It is nearly always misspelt and sometimes mispronounced.

I donā€™t mind it, honestly. I am always interested in meeting others who spell it differently and also seeing how many different spellings people (i.e. the Starbucks baristas) can come up with for it! Lol

Iā€™m fine with it. I much prefer the traditional spelling to most of the others, so Iā€™m glad thatā€™s what they went with. There is one spelling I can think of that I would maybe slightly prefer ā€“ itā€™s the traditional spelling in another country, but I still wouldnā€™t change mine, given the chance. :slight_smile:

As far as nontraditional spellings I love, Elanor is the top one that comes to mind for me. Though I do still love Eleanor. (And Elinor, too!)

1 Like

I do not have an uncommonly spelled name (Alexis/Lexi) but my motherā€™s name is [name_f]Kristi[/name_f] and my dad spells his nickname [name_m]Rik[/name_m], and it has definitely been interesting for them.

For my mom, her parents were originally going to do [name_f]Christi[/name_f], but decided that [name_f]Kristi[/name_f] looked prettier in their eyes. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom has told me on numerous occasions that growing up her name was spelled every way but the way she spells her name. [name_u]Christy[/name_u], [name_f]Christi[/name_f], [name_f]Kristy[/name_f], etc. We all have gotten used to her name being spelled that way, (I for a long time thought that was a common spelling) and we all know now when people ask for her name go, ā€œKristi K-R-I-S-T-I.ā€ In total, I believe that we have only met three other people with their names spelled that way, one of which being my fourth grade teacher.

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad, [name_m]Richard[/name_m] who only goes by [name_m]Rik[/name_m], apparently spelled his nickname like that because he had a whole lot of [name_m]Ricks[/name_m] in his class and wanted to be a little special, along with the fact that when he played videogames, [name_m]Rik[/name_m] would fit in the name slot a lot better. This has given us less trouble, since he still puts [name_m]Richard[/name_m] on all formal papers, but it has given him troubles with his mom who does not like that spelling and only spells it [name_m]Rick[/name_m], but other than that his spelling is just his preferred spelling, and majority of people respect that spelling.

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother and I, [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], while we do have normally spelled nicknames, [name_u]Lexi[/name_u] and [name_m]Zach[/name_m], we have our nicknames misspelled all the time. I have my nickname spelled [name_u]Lexie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lexy[/name_f] all the time, and my brother has his name spelled [name_m]Zack[/name_m] all the time.

1 Like