Less than a month left - Still struggling to find "the one" for boy#2

See the results of this poll: Which name for Felix’s little brother!?!?!!?

Respondents: 88 (This poll is closed)

• Ezra : 37 (42%)
  • Leland : 13 (15%)
  • Soren : 18 (20%)
  • Xavier : 18 (20%)
  • Other/none of the above: 2 (2%)

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] stand out to me. its wonderful. fits nicely with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. my second choice would have been [name_m]Xavier[/name_m].

I love the idea of [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_u]Leland[/name_u]! They just roll off the tongue so easily! And the nickname [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is so darling. [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]! :smiley:

Like the PP, [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] is my favorite of what you’ve listed, followed by [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_m]Soren[/name_m], and [name_u]Leland[/name_u].

some thoughts…

…Though from the same name family, I do not think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] will be as popular as [name_u]Noah[/name_u].
…some other names that came to mind reading your post: [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
…Names may underwhelm when you’ve had them on your radar for awhile. something will click.

Good luck!

I think [name_m]Soren[/name_m] goes perfectly with [name_m]Felix[/name_m], with [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] in close second.

Thanks for the thoughts. [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] was my #1 fav, but was vetoed. We like [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], but it sounds awful with our surname.

I like [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] and [name_m]Soren[/name_m] best, both with your last name and as a sibling for [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. [name_f]IMO[/name_f], I think [name_u]Leland[/name_u] is a softer name and doesn’t quite have the same strength as [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. I like [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] too although I have no idea where it’s going popularity wise. @jo [name_u]Jo[/name_u]'s suggestions of [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] or [name_u]Everett[/name_u] would be good choices as well. Good luck!

I think any of your names work well with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. I would probably go with [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] or [name_m]Zane[/name_m]. You can’t go wrong with any of these.

I love all of them but [name_u]Leland[/name_u]. Voted for [name_m]Soren[/name_m]. Not sure if you have a middle picked out, but [name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] would be handsome. Good luck!

[name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] does sound good. My wife would like to use [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] as a middle to honor a deceased uncle as well as it is my fn. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you think the combos sound?

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] K
[name_u]Leland[/name_u] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] K
[name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] K
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] K

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Levi[/name_m] are perfect with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]

You have enough great names in your shorter list that I’ll keep it to that:

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] --I voted for this one, I like it on its own, and with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. You are right that it will probably be the most common of the short list. If I were you I’d look up the rankings in your specific state (and even in your area if that’s possible) to see just how popular it is, and whether that is a deal-breaker for you. But this would be my pick!
[name_u]Leland[/name_u] – not really my style, but has the same upbeat “ee” sound to start off as [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m] --I like it, but it sounds a little subdued next to lively [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. With [name_m]Felix[/name_m], I prefer the similar name [name_u]Seren[/name_u]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] --I really like this one, but some people say “Ex-avier” and some say “[name_m]Zavier[/name_m]” and I’m not sure which is “right” or which I prefer

[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] works well as a middle name with you short list. Now, is there one of the first names that flow best with your last name because they are all nice names!

I think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] is the best choice, although I think they are all winners. I don’t think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] is going to be top 10 popular, and I agree with the pp to check the rankings in your state. There can actually be a lot of variability in popularity from place to place. [name_m]Even[/name_m] still, if it is THE name, then how important is potential future popularity?

Another name that sprang to mind was [name_m]Langston[/name_m], which has a similar feel to me as [name_u]Leland[/name_u], but perhaps [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is a more appealing nickname than [name_u]Lee[/name_u]?

Since other posters have pretty much limited themselves to commenting on your shortlist, I am going to offer a few more names, after I comment on your list.

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]–never been a favorite of mine…somehow the name seems quirky, but cramped to my ear. It fits with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] in the quirkiness, but [name_m]Felix[/name_m] seems a lot more open and inviting to me.
[name_u]Leland[/name_u]–I agree with you…the possibility of the [name_u]Lee[/name_u] nickname would make this one a non-starter for me
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]–cool, modern sound, but it sounds too severe to me to be paired with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]–my favorite from your list…the shared ‘x’ is nice, and it sounds modern. But it also sounds a bit trendy to me.
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]–I agree, it’s popularity would put me off, but it is SO nice with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]–the vibe is totally different than [name_m]Felix[/name_m], to me
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]–if it doesn’t work with your surname, of course it’s out. But I do like it with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]–doesn’t work with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] at all, to me. [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Levi[/name_m], yes. [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Levi[/name_m], not so much.

Now on to my suggestions. I always want sibling names to share the same vibe, but of course, that’s a subjective call. So, for what it’s worth, here’s how I hear [name_m]Felix[/name_m]: dignified, historic, intelligent, personable, open, independent, and a little quirky. Here are a few names that ‘feel’ like brothers to [name_m]Felix[/name_m] to me, in order of my favorites:

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Quentin[/name_m], [name_m]Gordon[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]Miles[/name_m], [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m]/[name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Julian[/name_m]

All that said, if [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] is the name, go for it, regardless of what might happen to it’s popularity. Good luck!

Thanks. [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] is pretty on par with the national rankings in Michigan. The dual pronunciation is my main concern with [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] as well.

Thank you for all the insight! [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Gordon[/name_m], were all on my list buy are either off limits or have not been as enthusiastically receive by my wife. [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] was on our shortlist the first time around but has since been used and therefore off limits to us.

I voted for [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. Regardless of how popular it may or may not get in the future if it is your favourite I would go for it. It is a lovely name and goes well with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and flows well with your middle name. If you use it first no one in your circle of friends of family is likely to use it in the next few years. And the popularity of a name can change suddenly anyway - due to a famous person having that name or a character in a popular TV show - it’s hard to predict. So long as it’s not overly popular where you live RIGHT NOW I wouldn’t worry. However I do think it is smart to have some back ups just in case [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] doesn’t suit little one. [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] would be by 2nd fav from your list.
If nothing feels right at the moment maybe take a break from looking at your list for a week to give yourself some space and then see how you feel about things? :slight_smile:

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @namelisterdad,

Congratulations!

[name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], with their respective special characters “x” and “z”, would make fine brothers.

Alternate suggestions:

[name_m]Felix[/name_m] {and} [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

I still love [name_m]Soren[/name_m]…[name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] sounds and looks great.