Let me introduce myself!

Hello Everyone and [name]Happy[/name] New Year!
I’ve know of Nameberry for quite a few months now and have regularly been recieving the daily emails and reading the blog, but didn’t get on the message board much until the last few days (time off work and being home alone makes me bored!). Since I have been quite active in the last few days, I thought I would tell you a little about myself :slight_smile:
I’m 26 and live in Australia. I got married in [name]October[/name] (10.10.10 :)). We have no children yet, but are going to start trying in about six months once we’ve gotten a few other things sorted out. I have wanted children of my own since I can remember and have also been a fan of names for a very long time.

I don’t know exactly what my style is but I like uncommon but familiar names. My name is [name]Penelope[/name] and love that most people I meet have only ever met one or two others (if any) by this name but it’s still a name they know. I like 3+ syllable names that have lots of options for nick names. I like biblical names, but not the common ones like [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Mark[/name], [name]Luke[/name] & [name]John[/name] etc. I also like some of the “old lady names” like [name]Esther[/name] and [name]Ethel[/name] (it reminds me of chemistry class is year 12 with my best friends when we were doing organic chem and learning aboy esters and ethyls… we made so many old lady jokes, lol!)

My current favourites are…
[name]Lorelei[/name] - such a lovely name! I love [name]German[/name] culture and I love the [name]German[/name] feel to this name. I’m pretty sure I knew of it when I was younger, but it wasn’t until [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls that it really brought it to my attention. At first I didn’t want to use it because I didn’t want people to think I’d chosen it because of the show. But now it’s finished, the name is now the top of the list for if we have a girl. And hubby likes it too, which is a plus!

[name]Rose[/name] - not a name I used to be a fan of, but it runs in hubby’s family and I like it as a middle name. We both like [name]Lorelei[/name] [name]Rose[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. I think it makes a very cute name for a girl. It also has the benefit that, if when she’s older, if she’d like a more “grown-up” name she can go back to [name]Lorelei[/name] or any number of nn from that name.

[name]Jemima[/name] - another name that I have recently come to like. One of the dolls on Play School (a show I loved as a kid and still love now for kids) was named [name]Jemima[/name]. I also discovered that it is a biblical name, which makes it even more appealing

[name]Sage[/name] - such a cute name for a girl or boy (although I’m leaning towards girl and using it as a mn for [name]Jemima[/name]) with varied meanings. I [name]LOVE[/name] cooking so I love that cullinary aspect (love the herb too!) but without beeing overly foody. I also like the other meaing of “wise and knowing”.

[name]Jethro[/name] - I first fell in love with this name because of [name]Mark[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]'s character on NCIS (mmmm lol) but still thought it was a bit dorky and only joked about using it to tease my hubby. But all of that joking has actually caused it to grow on me and I’m seriously considering using it! It also has the added bonus of being another biblical name.

[name]Silas[/name] - I can’t put my finger on why I like this name, I just do. It sounds really nice to me. I’ve heard it’s gaining popularity, though, due to the show “Weeds”.

[name]Felix[/name] - another great boy’s name that I love but hubby isn’t into it because of [name]Felix[/name] the [name]Cat[/name].

I have a few other names on my list that I’ve liked over time, but the ones above are the ones I currently love. At first I was really nervous about sharing my names, because the names I’ve loved in the past have always ended up getting so popular (I must be a trend-setter, lol!). For years I was set on [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Arabella[/name] nn [name]Bella[/name] until the Twilight phenomena hit. After that I picked [name]Ava[/name] but it too has gotten too popular for my liking.

Well, anyway, that’s enough about me :slight_smile: I hope that any of the advice/opinions I give are helpful and I look forward to getting to know the rest of you 'berries!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Penelope[/name], welcome to Nameberry! Your name happens to be one of my favourite mythological names. I like your taste in names. All the best in 2011!

[name]Lorelei[/name] - I actually use to work with a woman named [name]Lorelei[/name] - she was superbright and efficient but alas not [name]German[/name].

[name]Rose[/name] - I like it in the middle spot as well. [name]Lorelei[/name] [name]Rose[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is pretty.

[name]Jemima[/name] - A Biblical gem. Unfortunately, in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] this has the misfortune of being somewhat racist due to the Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] connection. It’s a shame because it’s a beautiful name. I love [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Salome[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] from the Bible too!

[name]Sage[/name] - Sorry not a fan but [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Sage[/name] is nice.

[name]Jethro[/name] - Another Biblical name that’s underused in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]. This is not chosen probably due to the fact that there was a very simple minded character called [name]Jethro[/name] on a TV show called “The [name]Beverly[/name] Hillbillies”. I like it anyway.

[name]Silas[/name] - [name]Love[/name] the look and sound of this name.

[name]Felix[/name] - I like this name but prefer [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name]. [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Felix[/name] were characters in the TV show “The Odd Couple”. If I like a name, I don’t let anything or anyone dissuade me.

Thanks, I love my name too! So glad my Dad didn’t use it for his first daughter and didn’t end up calling me [name]Edwina[/name]!

I’ve seen mention of the Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] connection, I’m glad we don’t have it here. [name]Delilah[/name] is another of my secondary list names. I love it but hubby doesn’t like the biblical connection, ie that she wasn’t nice.

Yeah, before NCIS the name [name]Jethro[/name] only ever made me think of the [name]Beverly[/name] Hillbillies. As much as I don’t like the idea of naming a child just because of a TV character, I do like the strong, masculine feel NCIS has brought to the name.

Ooh, I forgot about [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Felix[/name]! I don’t mind [name]Oscar[/name], but it still reminds me too much of the Grouch, lol. I don’t think we’d use [name]Felix[/name] as a first name, but it might get it’s chance as a middle.

At this rate I’m going to have to have HEAPS of kids so I can use all of the names I like, lol!

I try not to let anyone disuade me either, and I plan on not sharing names with my family until the baby is born so they can’t try to change my mind. However, as soon as a name gets too popular/common, it seems to lose it’s appeal for me. I don’t want my children to share their name with 6 other kids in their class/at work. But that’s just me :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input and warm welcome :slight_smile: