Let’s chat about Theoden

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,
Talk to me about [name_m]Theoden[/name_m] / Theodin.

I know most people’s first association with it will be with [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings and [name_m]King[/name_m] Thèoden (pron. Thay-o-den) but I’m not talking about that in particular.

[name_m]Theoden[/name_m] has been used as a name but it’s still very rare and looks made-up.

A mash of cute, cuddly [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and strong, bold [name_m]Odin[/name_m], with both names being a possible nick-name.

What do you think of Theoden/din/dan?
Which spelling do you prefer?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think Is has a future as a real, used, modern name?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s easy or hard to wear?
Could you see it on a baby, boy and man?

1 Like

I quite like [name_m]Theoden[/name_m] and that’s my favourite spelling. Other [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings names have been used and it feels familiar, even if it’s not all that common. And if he hates it nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u] makes it easy to wear

2 Likes

[name_m]Theoden[/name_m] is my preference and fits my pronunciation best. I prefer it to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] but “just” [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Theon[/name_m] are my favourites in that sound cluster. It could definitely grow on me though. Due to the popularity of other [name_u]Theo[/name_u] names it feels like it has solid potential to be used more. Yes, I can see it suiting all ages.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think there would be any pronunciation issues considering most people don’t immediately recognise it as an established name?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think he’d always have to spell it out?

I follow someone on Instagram who just had a baby boy a few months ago named [name_m]Theoden[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. They call him [name_u]Theo[/name_u] most of the time. I think it’s a cool, unexpected name and it’s a good option for big LOTR fans who want to be able to use a more common, less “nerdy” nickname, or for people who like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] but want a more unique option.

I’m not a big LOTR fan. I don’t mind it but I’m not trying to name a baby in it’s honour and I don’t want it to be assumed I did. I also don’t like the LOTR pronunciation and just want to say it how it’s spelled out.

I love [name_u]Theo[/name_u] in sound but not in popularity so as a nick-name it seems to hit just the right spot. I’m sad it’s not a “real” name.

I like the elements [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Odin[/name_m] but as a whole I’m worried it’s too unrecognisable and would be a burden to bear.

Thanks for making me feel a bit better about it. I’ll definitely put it on my boys list but at the moment I’d still be hesitant to use it.