Let’s Talk About Lizzie.

Growing up, I was obsessed with sitcoms and such - I watched so many with my mom, and I feel that the majority of my girls list is inspired by that - they’re names I’ve loved since childhood (especially choices like [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], a la [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] Kapowski and [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] Bundy), they’re the characters I idolized and looked up to as a little kid, thinking they were the coolest girls ever.

The biggest influential show for me growing up by far though was [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] [name_m]McGuire[/name_m]. I watched it religiously as a child, and idolized both [name_u]Hilary[/name_u] [name_u]Duff[/name_u] and her iconic character well into my preteens. As it stands, I still regularly watch the show, partly for the nostalgia factor, but partly because I still really enjoy it.

Since it’s such a big part of my childhood, I’ve been considering the name [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] as an edition to my list.

An added bonus is that it honours my mother without using her actual first name, something she’s told me she wouldn’t be a fan of (my mom doesn’t believe in directly using someone else in the family’s name to honour).

What are your thoughts on the name [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]? Is it wearable? I’m not open to using [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] due to the aforementioned reason about my mom.

Thanks!

Maybe you would like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as her formal name, nickname [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]? [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] as a stand-alone feels somewhat incomplete to me although not terrible. I do think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and nickname [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] is sweet.

[name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] is sweet. I knew a little [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] who was just [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] and it worked well

Hmm, I’m not sure that I do like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], as I tend to prefer the nickname to be shorter than the original first :confused:

It is shorter in terms of syllables, just not written length, and I think the syllable count is more important.
Also names like [name_u]James[/name_u] nn [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] go right against the ‘shorter nicknames’ in all forms.

I love [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]. I think it’s very wearable as a full name.
I’m probably going to go for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] for my own child, but I think [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] can stand on its own.

I like [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]! I actually find it more wearable than [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], and kind of sweet.
The first thing that comes to my mind is this famous waffle shop in Belgium named [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]'s Waffles though, so I may be biased!
Excluding [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] it could be a nickname for [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Elisa[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f]. I do think it could work on its own though.

For [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], you could do [name_f]Lizette[/name_f] or Lirazel.

I support [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]. I find [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] a little informal to use alone.

I think [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] works as a first name, but I prefer it as a nickname. I can definitely a person named [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], I think it works throughout all stages of life.

I hesitant about [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]/[name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] because “liz” isn’t pronounced the same way in both names. I also like [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]/Lissy.

Thanks everyone! Looks like [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] may be staying on my list :slight_smile: