Let’s talk about Madeleine!

One of my roommates during the six weeks I actually got to spend abroad this semester is named [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]—pronounced with a “line” ending, not “len”—and it really grew on me! I’m a bit bored of [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] but I thought [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]’s name always sounded so classy and strong whenever someone addressed her. I’d be considering it as a middle name only but I love it, and I’ve fallen in love with the combo [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. It works with a lot of my favorite names though!

Here’s the problem, before anyone says anything: I CAN’T use [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]. That name, with that spelling, is my sister’s middle name, and it’s pronounced mad-eh-lynn. I WILL NOT consider spelling the name [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] because, in my family, that name is pronounced -lynn. (I’ve actually never met a [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] who pronounces it -line.) It would feel weird using my sister’s middle name and pronouncing it differently, but I also automatically see that spelling as -lynn.

Yes, I’m aware of the book character [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], and I did love those books when I was younger. No, that doesn’t change anything. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is not an option.

The [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is mad-eh-LEN, which I’m very aware of, however I’ve also seen -line listed as an [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation of the name. As the title suggests, I want to talk about [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]… but with the pronunciation mad-eh-line.

What do you think?

You are free to be as honest as possible because I’m just looking for thoughts. I’m not sure how likely I am to use it because of its similarity to my sister’s middle name (and the fact that I would then feel obligated to honor my other sister’s name and I’m not sure how to do that yet). But this is a question I wanted to present to the masses!

So… let’s talk!

2 Likes

I went to school with someone named [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and she pronounced it mada-lynn. But using as a middle means it probably won’t be pronounced differently to your preferred pronunciation as it’s not very likely that it will be used or read out often.

It does also seems as though you’re honoring your sister so I supposed you would have to make it clear to your family that you’re not doing that so no gets hurt by not being honoured as well.

1 Like

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] can definitely be pronounced both ways! I actually think most people would pronounce it mad-eh-line!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] prounouced Ma-de-line is 100% usuable. It’s my favorite pronouncion of all if them The only [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] I know does pronounce it ma-de- [name_u]Laine[/name_u]. [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is goregous as well.

1 Like

I think it’s usable. [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is lovely

This is why I might not end up using it anyways. I do like how it’s similar but not the same to my sister’s middle name, but I can’t find a similar name for my other sister that I like. Her middle name is [name_f]Joy[/name_f], and I played with [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], but I don’t want to repeat the exact name so that’s unusable.

Since [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is a very short name, could you just use a name beginning with J? Or could you maybe use a variation of her first name that isn’t directly obvious, such as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] > [name_f]Lily[/name_f]?

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], and I much prefer the “line” pronunciation, which I think is slightly intuitive with that spelling. I would agree it comes across as honoring your sister though

1 Like

I’m glad that -line isn’t as unintuitive as I initially feared!

To all those who have mentioned it, I have no issue honoring my sister, in fact I would love to! What would hold me back is if I couldn’t find something I equally loved to honor my other sister :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s beautiful but it just makes me think of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] mccan? The girl who was abducted in Portugal. Guess it was a massive story over here as she was British.

1 Like

Piper [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is adorable! I think you can totally pronounce [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] with the -ine ending (it’s my favorite spelling so I wouldn’t try to steer you toward another one anyway lol) and although I do tend to prefer pronouncing names as they’re “supposed” to be pronounced there are enough variations and precedent of using the -line pronunciation that it definitely works with no problem. Especially here in the U.S.!

1 Like

I’m definitely aware of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] McCann, but I don’t feel that connection as much when pronouncing it -line because she pronounces it -len. [name_f]My[/name_f] sisters and I actually bond over our infatuation with true crime, so while that’s definitely not the association I was going for, it’s not necessarily a bad one.

If the link doesn’t bother you then certainly go for it. It’s a lovely name. Have you considered [name_u]Madison[/name_u] ?

I’m not a fan of [name_u]Madison[/name_u] :/.

Thank you! I think so too :blush:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]!
To honor [name_f]Joy[/name_f]… [name_u]Joyce[/name_u], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Allegra[/name_f], [name_f]Chara[/name_f], and [name_f]Letitia[/name_f] have [name_f]Joy[/name_f] in their meaning.

1 Like

I know it’s not a [name_m]German[/name_m] name, but in [name_m]German[/name_m] the second letter is pronounced when ie or ei go together. So in this case, it would be pronounced with the long I sound like you want and not the len sound. [name_m]Just[/name_m] another plug for [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]! I also strongly prefer it pronounced the way you like. [name_f]Madalyn[/name_f] et al is way over done.

1 Like

Thank you!

Elle is great!