Let's bring back Myrtle

I just saw a Telegraph birth announcement for a baby named

[name]Molly[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]

[name]How[/name] cute is that!

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to see [name]Myrtle[/name] start to come back in the US?! Maybe not as a first name, quite yet, but as a mn. What are some great combos with [name]Myrtle[/name] in the middle?

Here’s a few …

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Winter[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Margery[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]

What do you think?

Some [name]Christmas[/name] cards ago, I did write to [name]Pam[/name] and say that I thought [name]Myrtle[/name] was due for a renaissance! And I also noticed this in the Telegraph yesterday.

So I am definitely all for it, and once it starts arriving in any regularity in the Telegraph, you can be sure the hoi polloi is going to follow suit.

Go for it!

[name]Ailsa[/name]
x

[name]Myrtle[/name] Was my great grandmother’s name and it is actually growing on me. I saw one poster who said Myrthe was a Dutch version. i also like this.

I think this name would give my mom a heart attack. It is sort of giving me one! Good luck with your campaign though. I just can’t fathom this name being used unless one has a very good reason, like a grandmother, and then only in the middle, maybe after another middle name. I’m not sure I would want to live with this name - which is a very serious consideration while choosing names for babies. You might like a name very much and find it charming, but will she? You might drum up support for it in the UK, which you have your own set of hipster fashion, so it will take decades for USA to really come around. [name]Mabel[/name] still hasn’t even gotten solid approval, after so many decades, I really don’t think [name]Myrtle[/name] has a shot in hades, but good luck.

If we’re bring back names, though, let me suggest [name]Gertrude[/name]. I really dislike the look and sound of [name]Gertrude[/name], but it is a lot better than [name]Myrtle[/name]. I really like the nickname [name]Trudy[/name], not so much [name]Myrt[/name].

I like plants, but this is creeping me out! Lol, pun. I think of turtles, curdled milk, and murder (not really great!) when I hear this name. It’s way too quirky, which probably means people will fall in love with it (and to my shock, if it does). I guess if I heard it enough, it might not seem so bad, but I’m not even on board with liking [name]Hazel[/name] yet! My great-grandmother’s name was [name]Bertha[/name], and I’m not going to be sold on it either.

But good luck!

[name]Molly[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name] is so cute!

I think [name]Myrtle[/name] is slowly growing on me,

good luck bringing it back! :slight_smile:

I know this is delayed, but I just wanted to say that I know a wonderful woman named [name]Myrtle[/name] - a real go-getter! I know her a little too well to ever use the name, it’d feel odd, but I actually think it has a wonderful rhythm and feel. I agree with the previous posters who said it would be a great, quirky choice for a middle name. I love the [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name] combo! It fits the criteria of many of the trendy names lately: It’s a flower name, rather spunky, and it’s vintage. I definitely think [name]Myrtle[/name]'s due for a rise in popularity over the next few years.

I like [name]Molly[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]!

[name]Molly[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name] is so sweet!

I would love to see [name]Myrtle[/name] come back! I’ve never actually met a real life [name]Myrtle[/name], so the name has always seemed uncommon and mysterious to me. I love it, and I can see a little girl with the name. I also love [name]Hazel[/name], I think [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Myrtle[/name] go together quite well.

These are combinations I like:

[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name] [name]Annaliese[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name] [name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]

My favorite [name]Myrtle[/name]-Combo: [name]Rose[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]

I love [name]Rose[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]- very pretty!

Oh, [name]Myrtle[/name] is extremely lovely. :3

i guess i’m alone in this but i feel bad for a baby named molly myrtle.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Myrtle[/name]. Like [name]Tilly[/name] as a nn. What do you think?

[name]Myrtle[/name] is awful! I think it’s the wierd “tle” part on the end and the way it sounds all chopped off, like you couldn’t finish what you were saying because you started choking.

And while I wouldn’t want it as a first name, I actually think it’s worse in the middle. No matter what name you put before it, it just emphasizes how much it sounds like turle. [name]Reading[/name] through the lists above, all I hear is [name]Molly[/name] the turle and her friends (even if they are beautifully named turtles).

If pressed, I could maybe be convinced that it is a more worthwhile cause to try and bring back [name]Myrtis[/name] . . .

I couldn’t agree more, I fore one am glad to see [name]Myrtle[/name] waste away

I was recently watching some episodes from “The [name]Brady[/name] Bunch” on youtube: - YouTube

“Lost Locket, Found Locket” (part 3), in which [name]Alice[/name] explains to [name]Jan[/name] about how she knows what it’s like to be in the middle, between [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Myrtle[/name]; “[name]Myrtle[/name] was the baby, and [name]Emily[/name] did the bossing.” Sounds like they ran out of names to me, or owed someone a favor!

I know I already posted before, and while I can appreciate the botanical [name]Myrtle[/name], I don’t like some names that also come from botanicals - [name]Lilac[/name] is mystifying, but close enough to [name]Lila[/name] to get the pass in the current atmosphere, I suppose. When I hear [name]Myrtle[/name], I hear [name]Mert[/name]! [name]Mert[/name]! and also ‘curdle.’ Turtles aren’t so bad, but they have a funny name. I’ve also heard young women with several children already and one on the way called “Fertile [name]Myrtle[/name].” And on top of that, it rhymes with girdle. Plus, the creeping.

Some names that will sound “good” or plausible to parents in a world with free-roaming Myrtles:

[name]Gerda[/name]
[name]Bertha[/name]
[name]Irma[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name]
[name]Randall[/name] (for a girl!)
[name]Roberta[/name]
“WDYT of Portal?” (after the video game)
Tuttle
Bertrille
Yertle (lest you think [name]Daisy[/name]-Head Mayzie doesn’t give people ideas).
Purple
Zyrtle, Jyrrhtelle, and McKyrtoll.

Still wanna do it?