Let's discuss Romilly!

Came across this name last night as I was doing some more searching–[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] (“rah-mill-ee”). Apparently it is a place name in [name_f]France[/name_f] and the UK, much more popular across the pond as a result. [name_u]Abby[/name_u] at AppMtn did an updated name of the day on this one last year.

Is it just too obscure to use here in the US? I tend to like the ends in “ee” sounding names ([name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is a top contender for baby due in [name_u]January[/name_u]). For instance, even though [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is endlessly popular, I do love its sound. [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] seems like an exotic cousin of [name_f]Emily[/name_f] to my ear, and I love the nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f] or even [name_u]Romy[/name_u]/[name_f]Ro[/name_f]. Our surname sounds like “more” so I like the 3-4 syllable sound with such a short last name.

FYI, our other children are daughter [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] and son [name_m]Nolan[/name_m].

i love it! suggested it to SO who unfortunately hated it …no idea why thou i think it sounds cute and fun :slight_smile:

I really like [name_f]Romilly[/name_f]!
It has somewhat of a masculine touch (with the ROM sound the beginning) but overall I do think it is just feminine enough to work, while still being interesting. [name_u]Romy[/name_u]/[name_f]Ro[/name_f] are very cute nn’s too!
Definitely not too obscure, just obscure enough I think!
It also goes well with your other kids names, and I agree with you about having a longer first name with a short last name.
I think it is a great choice, go for it! :slight_smile:

I give it a thumbs up! It does bear a familiar resemblance to [name_f]Emily[/name_f], with a little sass and some sweetness too. [name_u]Romy[/name_u] would be an adorable nickname!!! I say go for it.

I’ve had a huge name crush on [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] for a while. It’s like the more you say and look it, the better it gets. It’s a little different, but I think completely usable in the USA and it has the great nn possibilities.

I love it but think it sounds a bit odd as a first. I have it listed as a middle (absolutely loving [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m] and [name_m]Greg[/name_m] Wise’s lovely combination for their daughter, [name_f]Gaia[/name_f] [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], those two names compliment each other beautifully).

I love [name_f]Romilly[/name_f].

It’s a favorite on my girl and boy list. I prefer the pronunciation [name_f]RO[/name_f]-milly

Well, as expected, DH hates it. :frowning: Men!!!

[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] is gorgeous. I used to think a girl back in high school was a [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] (called [name_u]Romy[/name_u] all of the time). And then I met her again recently and found out it was [name_u]Romany[/name_u]! [name_m]Both[/name_m] names are pretty cool though.

I like the sound, but not the meaning.

I love [name_u]Romy[/name_u] and [name_m]Rommie[/name_m] as NNs, and I love names that end in an “ee” sound. (I even love [name_f]Emily[/name_f], which I know isn’t cutting-edge enough for the board…) I’m quite fond of [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f], but [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] has a less vintage sound, which could be a good thing.

Is [name_f]Razili[/name_f] an option?

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is lovely, it and [name_f]Verity[/name_f] are favourites of mine.

Funny you mention [name_f]Emily[/name_f], it’s a favorite of mine and if it were not for its popularity, would be a real contender. I like the 3-4 syllable ends in “ee” sound in names. [name_f]Verity[/name_f] is another of my favorites, and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is my top choice. Hubby likes things like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]…so obviously our styles are a bit different! :slight_smile: