Let's talk about Alec

Recently I’ve fallen in love with the name [name_m]Alec[/name_m], mainly because of a movie I watched not long ago. It’s something I never thought would happen, since it was one of those names I actually disliked. Not as bad as [name_u]Alex[/name_u] or [name_m]Axel[/name_m] (perfectly fine names by the way, just not for me).
But there’s something about [name_m]Alec[/name_m] that I really like. It sounds masculine but soft at the same time. I know it’s popular in the UK, and probably also in the US, but it’s nowhere near the top 1000 where I live (as apposed to [name_u]Alex[/name_u], for example).

So, what do you think of [name_m]Alec[/name_m]? [name_m]General[/name_m] impressions? Combos? Could it stand up to my other boys’ names, Hjörtur and particularly [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m]? Please keep in mind that it’s not a popular name at all where I live.

Sorry not my choice. it reminds me of a “smart alec”.

I’ve only come across [name_m]Alec[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], rather than an independent name. To me it feels quite informal, I guess.

I think it’s nice! More interesting than [name_u]Alex[/name_u], definitely. I will say though, that with your sons’ names I’d expect [name_m]Alec[/name_m] to be a nickname, not a full name. It seems too simple that way.
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is the obvious full name, but most [name_m]Al[/name_m]- names would work. [name_m]Altair[/name_m], Alastor, [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m], etc.

I’m fond of [name_m]Alec[/name_m] because of a series I read recently. There’s nothing wrong with it, but I do think it’s a little jarring stylistically next to Hjörtur and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m]. Hjörtur is extremely Scandinavian, [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] feels very Dickensian, and [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is more your average English or American boy. I guess what unites your sons’ names is their quirkiness, and [name_m]Alec[/name_m] throws that off.

I think [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is lovely. Strong, masculine, yet gentle. And I think it goes nicely with Hjörtur and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m]. I’ve actually never heard of Hjörtur, probably because of where I live, and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] is extremely rare as well but is well known. [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is then a little more familiar because of its association with [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. So none of them are on exactly the same level of familiarity for me, but I think they’re each strong in their own way and thus can be put together nicely, if that makes sense. They all seem like “grown-up” names that would be nice to see on a little boy. I would go for it if you love it.

@asherose: I’ve never heard that expression. Doesn’t exist where I live, so that doesn’t bother me.

@emmievis: I’m not a fan of using a full name to get to a nickname you like, I’d rather just use the name I want… If that makes sense? I’m not a huge fan of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] anyway, and none of the other names you mentioned would work where I live.

@southern.maple: I see what you mean, and that’s something that bothers me. On the other hand, since [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is so unpopular here I’m not sure if that’s still true. But it would definitely be the case if I lived in the UK or US, I agree.

I’m really into short, straight to the point names at the moment so I love [name_m]Alec[/name_m]! I think it’s different from your other boys but it still fits well and even if it didn’t, siblings will be apart more often than together. I also love [name_m]Alexei[/name_m] but not [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_m]Axel[/name_m] or [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Alec[/name_m]! It reminds me of the [name_m]Black[/name_m] Stallion series I was obsessed with as a little girl, though that was short for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].