Let's talk about Claire and Juliet...

I’ve really been crushing on these two lately (which is completely unusual… some of you may recall my “I hate [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]!” phase!), and I’m wondering what others think. I know [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]'s a huge Nameberry favorite, so I expect it to be well-liked. [name_f]Do[/name_f] they fit well with the other names on my list?

My largest concern with [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is that I’m not a fan of [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] at all. I find it rather pathetic, and completely overrated, and if [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] would have stopped to communicate, neither of them would have had to die! The tragedy was pointless; the story was pointless. Still, I think [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]'s beautiful. Is it still so tied to the Shakespearean tragedy that I would get dogged with the, “Oh, after [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]?” question?

Also, [name_f]Clara[/name_f]? I only like the British pronunciation (or, rather, what seems like the international one; the only people I’ve heard say it like [name_f]CLAIRE[/name_f]-uh are Americans. But with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_m]Oswald[/name_m], I’m wondering if CLAH-rah will catch on?), but I’m not sure I like it more than [name_f]Claire[/name_f].

So, [name_f]Claire[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Clara[/name_f]? and opinions on all three? I really, really like the combo [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], but I’ve loved [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] when [name_f]Claire[/name_f] was on my list in the past (and I’ve been crushing on [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Luella[/name_f], too). I sort of like the idea of [name_f]Claire[/name_f] ____ [name_f]Willow[/name_f], too, and I have no ideas for a [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] combo. Maybe [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Elora[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Eliora[/name_f].

Thanks, Berries!

P.S. For what it’s worth, in addition to the names listed in my signature, [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] are on my short list; I was trying to avoid writing a novel when I last edited it. :] If that helps to understand my style a wee bit more. Thanks!

I really love Juliet. I also ADORE Clara but, like you, I only like the non-American pronunciation.
Claire I don’t care for much, it just lacks something but that might be due to the German pronunciation I’m used to.

I think Juliet and Claire/Clara both fit in well with your favourites.

If you go with the Isabelle spelling, I think I prefer Juliette as a sister (also takes away a bit of the Shakespeare connection).
I only like Claire with Arianne. Olivia and Juliet/Clara sounds wonderful. Violet and Clara/Claire is great. Charlotte I don’t love with either. Emmeline I prefer with Juliette. Grace works nicely with all three. Eleni I don’t love with either but it works best with Clara, I think.

I’ve had Juliette Clara / Clara Juliette on my list for a while, I think it’s quite nice. Juliet I personally find easy to pair with a middle name as most two-syllable names ending in-a sound wonderful with her.

-> Clara and Juliet I love as a sisters to Audrey and Eleanor and Claire I like paired with Tess and Eva. Catherine and Juliet sounds wonderful.

I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] all fit in well with the other names on your list. While I’m not a fan of either names (I don’t know why, I just can’t like them enough), they’re not horrible. I much prefer [name_f]Clara[/name_f] over [name_f]Claire[/name_f], as I’ve been warming up to [name_f]Clara[/name_f] the past year or so. Unfortunately, I don’t have any suggestions re: middle names at this point in time.

You could use alternative spellings. What about [name_u]Clare[/name_u] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]? :smiley:

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] both those names! I hardly think of [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] at all! What about:

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]

:slight_smile:

Thanks, guys! [name_f]Claire[/name_f] used to be in my top 5–for a very long time!–but after I met a little [name_f]Claire[/name_f] I didn’t like so much, I doubted it for quite a while as a FN. For some reason, I’ve been noticing it again, though, and I’m wondering if it’s really a tried-and-true favorite. It definitely has more of a shot than [name_f]Clara[/name_f] at this point (especially since I’m afraid pronunciation there would be a nightmare!). I’m thinking it might have a real shot at getting re-added to my list, especially since I’m already considering getting rid of a few–including [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]. I had been thinking [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] was perfect, but I’m really liking [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] right now, too. I guess I’ll have to give it some more thought and toss around several more combos, but of the bunch, I think [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is the only one that might be really ready to be added to my list. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Berries!

Yeah, I remember your “I hate [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] phase” so I’m surprised to find this thread, lol. Anyway, I have [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] on my short list and I choose this spelling because 1) I want to avoid the [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] connection too. I know it doesn’t change a lot but in my head it makes some differences, so I count it. 2) I adore french names, I even have [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] on my list too, I think they sound great together.

I think [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is really pretty, though I prefer [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (it’s always kla-ruh for me) and [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is perfect (I really hate [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] but I like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], lol). I assume you haven’t considered second mn but I really like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I love the name [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and find that it can be perfectly usable despite “[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]” (I never liked it myself). I have a good friend who named her son [name_m]Romeo[/name_m], so I don’t think it’s bad at all. Since [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is a long established name and quite common and classic, [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] won’t have any problems. Oh, and I would like to suggest the Spanish spelling of [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Julieta[/name_f].