Let's talk about Frederick

See the results of this poll: What do you think of Frederick?

Respondents: 46 (This poll is closed)

• Love it : 20 (43%)
  • Not my style but would like to see someone else use it : 21 (46%)
  • Not a fan at all: 5 (11%)

It’s one of my favorite names for a boy, and is currently at the top of my list. My favorite combination right now is [name]Frederick[/name] [name]James[/name].

I also like [name]Fred[/name], and [name]Freddie[/name] is growing on me. Really I just like the strong sound of [name]Frederick[/name]. I generally prefer softer names for boys, so this one is even more special in that sense.

My goldfish was named [name]Fredrick[/name]…

This is near the top of my list. The only thing holding me back is a personal association I have with it. But it’s such a wonderful name that I’m very close to letting that go. As pp said, I love that it’s strong and yet kind of soft at the same time. And I love [name]Freddie[/name] as a nn. I have a feeling this will be one of those names that will see a resurgence now that people are seeking a normal but less common name with fun nn potential. That’s okay though because no matter how many Fredericks are running around, it is a great, classic name that will never be trendy and will never go out of style.

I prefer the spelling [name]Frederic[/name] since it’s connected to one of my favorite composers (Chopin) and I love it. I dislike the nicknames though.

I love it. It was on my short list of boy names.

I have professed my love for [name]Frederick[/name] over and over again. :slight_smile: But unfortunately, the nicknames [name]Fred[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] are what eventually nixed it for me. But if you like these nicknames, I say go for it! [name]Frederick[/name] is a handsome, underused classic.

I would only like it if the nn [name]Freddie[/name] was used… just not a fan of the sound of the full name.

I have a cat named [name]Frederick[/name]…he was originally just [name]Fred[/name] but after I named him, I realized how much I love [name]Frederick[/name], so now I call him [name]Frederick[/name] [name]James[/name] just because I love the way it sounds. Now I’m sad that I’ve “wasted” the name on a cat when I could have used it on an actual child one day, haha.
I think it’s a great name. It sounds very masculine and regal to me. Then again, I love regal, “prince-like” names for boys. [name]Edward[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Phillip[/name], [name]William[/name]…

I voted “love it” but I’m not sure that’s even quite right, lol. I love the nn [name]Freddie[/name], I think it’s adorable, but I hate [name]Fred[/name] (had an awful acquaintance with the name), and [name]Frederick[/name] continues to remind me of him even though he always went by [name]Fred[/name], never [name]Frederick[/name]. I guess I should have voted “nms but I’d love to see someone else use it”. I wish there was a [name]Freddie[/name] name I loved, because I’d love to at least consider it, but that definitely wouldn’t happen with [name]Frederick[/name] for me. :confused: I do really like it for you, though–I think it goes with a lot of your favorites.

I like [name]Frederick[/name] quite a bit - my favorite combo is [name]James[/name] [name]Frederick[/name].

This was my grandfather’s first name, but he went by his middle, and is my uncle’s first name. He went by [name]Freddie[/name] as a boy and goes by [name]Fred[/name] as an adult. While I love it, especially for the family connection (I have very few blood relatives) I took it off my list for my son, since [name]Fred[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name]/[name]Freddy[/name] would feel confusing with my uncle using the name. My grandma wanted me to name the baby [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Rick[/name], but I really dislike [name]Rick[/name], so I’m using my grandfather and uncle’s middle name instead, since no one’s currently using it.

Also, at my LLL meetings, there’s a 3 month old named [name]Frederick[/name], so I’ve seen it work on a little baby as well as on a grown man.

I think it’s a lovely name. My hubby’s name is [name]Fredrik[/name], he’s originally from [name]Sweden[/name], they wouldn’t dream of calling him anything but the full name. I prefer to call him [name]Freddie[/name] which his mom hates. :slight_smile: But I must admit that I absolutely CRINGE every time someone calls him [name]Fred[/name].

Thanks, everyone! I’m adding [name]Frederick[/name] to my list. :slight_smile: