Let's Talk About Hermione!

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] seems to be the one name my husband and I are both equally in love with since this time around we aren’t trying to find names that have specific initials. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] ruined that and I’m glad :slight_smile: We love this name because we think it’s strong, unique, remarkable and yes, because of the character who is very much amazing and also, plus points for not being another botanical-related female name!

However, we do realize that our tastes tend to be a bit out of the box for a few people and we worry whether [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is too much of a one-person name, like there’s only one [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m]. What are your opinions on this matter and also, what would you nickname a [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]?!

I think [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is a great name! NNs could be: [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Mina[/name_f], Noni, [name_f]Mona[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_f]Mim[/name_f], Monny, [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_u]Hero[/name_u].

Aw, your kiddos have such great names! I love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] with your set, I think it would work just fine on a little girl in this day in age. I actually just thought of [name_f]Honey[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], which would be super cute when she’s young at least, or [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. When she’s older though, [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], or [name_f]Nina[/name_f] would be my picks for nicknames.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is such an adorable name! I love it with your other kids names too. My favourite nn’s for [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] would be Mione (like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] without the ‘her’), [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Mimi[/name_f].

I am not a fan of this name at all. However, the nicknames [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] or [name_u]Mio[/name_u] makes it a bit more appealing.

I have yet to meet a [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]IRL[/name_m], so perhaps I need to associate it with a person made of flesh and blood, and not with the character from the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] movies/books. However, a lot of thoughts cross my mind with the name, and none of them are positive. It seems complicated and pompous when I see it and hear it.

Personally, I also don’t think it suits your older children’s names.

I like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] a lot. It would make a smashing sister for [name_m]Marvin[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. My favorite nickname for [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is [name_f]Minnie[/name_f].

I don’t think [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is too much of a one person name. There are real life people, of many ages, and other characters with the name, and even so as you mentioned [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] is a wonderful character to be named after. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]'s definitely not [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m]. I absolutely adore [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]! I love the strength behind it, as well as the whimsical, magical, yet grounded feel from the HP connection.

If I had to choose a nn maybe [name_f]Nina[/name_f] (after an aunt), [name_f]Honey[/name_f], or [name_u]Hero[/name_u]. Can’t say I love them as much as [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] in full though. I do love [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], but that’s the nn for my top name for a future cat haha.

I know a couple of Hermiones. It’s a well-to-do, clever-girl’s name! [name_u]Love[/name_u] Mionie/Miony.

I like the melody of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] but I think HP ruined it for me to give it as an actual name for an eventual future child. I find the nn [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] too infantile so I’d go for [name_f]Nina[/name_f] or Miony.

I really like the name and think it fits well with the names of your other children (though I’m personally not a fan of its nicknames), but I’m not sure you’ll ever be able to escape the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection. Especially with the younger generation, most people have seen/read or at least heard of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and would connect the name with [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m]. Not necessarily a bad thing, as [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] is a studious, brave, very good character, but that link will always be there. The fact that [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is such a unique name adds to this as most people have only ever heard the name in this context (whereas a name lik [name_m]Harry[/name_m] is much more common).
However, if you really like it (and it is lovely) I’d go for it regardless; the connection will die out eventually and potentially doesn’t even matter to you.

I really like the name and think it fits well with the names of your other children (though I’m personally not a fan of its nicknames), but I’m not sure you’ll ever be able to escape the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection. Especially with the younger generation, most people have seen/read or at least heard of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and would connect the name with [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m]. Not necessarily a bad thing, as [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] is a studious, brave, very good character, but that link will always be there. The fact that [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is such a unique name adds to this as most people have only ever heard the name in this context (whereas a name like [name_m]Harry[/name_m] is much more common).
However, if you really like it (and it is lovely) I’d go for it regardless; the connection will die out eventually and potentially doesn’t even matter to you.

I like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] but I don’t like any of the nicknames. I don’t care for HP but the association is incredibly strong, however I am aware she’s an awesome character to be named after.

As for nicknames, here’s a post of mine from earlier this year: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I love the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. It is of course strongly associated with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], but I do not think it is TOO associated with the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] universe to be wearable. At my public American high school, we studied mythology and [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] in English class, and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] came up in both of those contexts. I honestly think that [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] has in many ways strengthened the case for [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] as a name… I bet 20 years ago, the majority would have stumbled (at best) over the pronunciation. Now, basically every millennial can easily pronounce the name without so much as a second thought. While berries might have said (had Nameberry existed) that it was too cumbersome of a name to deal with all the constant pronunciation issues throughout her life, now many say it’s too cumbersome because of the strong association with Ms. [name_m]Granger[/name_m]. But there’s nothing wrong with that, in my book. The name DOES have other history of use, whether or not people know it. So in that respect it’s very different from a [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] or Ygritte (I have not read or seen Hunger Games or Game of Thrones).

I think [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is wonderful on its own and with your other children’s names!
It does strongly link to [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] in HP, but as others have pointed out - that’s not a bad thing! Like [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (Hunger Games) and [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] “[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]” (HP) both which I’ve seen more often recently, it does have that strong link but it’s also got history before that - unlike other names that have been mentioned above (though I would love to have a Mycroft!).

I know 4 girls named [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. One is 26, so was named before the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books were released. The others are all under 10. While the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] does link to the HP books, these little girls with the name have really made it their own and are now as much of an association for me as the book character is when I read [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] in places (like NB). [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - 26, [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] “[name_f]Onnie[/name_f]” - 7, [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] “[name_f]Mimi[/name_f]” - 5, and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - 3.

I think it’s a wonderful name!

This is one of those names that I am amazed that anyone likes. It’s so clunky, and sounds truly unpleasant. Sorry, I know that’s not a popular opinion here. I don’t think this one is easy to carry off in the real world.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is darling, and thanks to [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], Americans now know how to pronounce it.

It is definitely not a one person name. There are a few actresses of yore with the name, plus it’s been around a long time.

I’d probably call her Mione.

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]

I love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and go back and forth on whether I’d have the guts to use it in real life. My go-to nicknames would be [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_f]Maia[/name_f], or [name_f]Nia[/name_f]. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] personally.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is actually the frontrunner for our daughter due at the end of [name_u]August[/name_u], so obviously, I love it and think it’s usable! (Though others’ reactions have made me second-guess it from time to time.) I don’t have any additional nickname suggestions, but the ones I plan to use are [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] for when she’s a baby and [name_u]Hero[/name_u] in general. Maybe [name_f]Maya[/name_f] if she wants something more “normal” later on. Of course, I plan to use the nicknames interchangeably with [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] in full, because it’s so lovely!

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] seems to be approved by fellow berries then! [name_m]How[/name_m] lovely! I will confess that it’s a bit more reassuring that I’m not alone in the world in loving it, but also that there are a few little [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]'s already in the world.

I adore [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (and [name_f]Flora[/name_f])! I love the HP reference and no, I don’t think it’s a one-person-name, but she will undoubtedly bear a strong association with [name_m]Granger[/name_m]. I think she goes great with your kids’ names. If I were to have a little [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] of my own, she’d likely be called Mione, [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. A close family friend of mine actually just named her baby girl Mione (her boyfriend can’t pronounce Hermione)!